What's new

Junkyard Crawl!! Possible Dual TCase Build!!

docj88

'Splain this to me again
Member Number
Loc
Texas!!
To preface this post, I did a brief search on Google, Youtube, and this site, but haven't found the exact information I need. I will continue to search but any info or links to articles is appreciated.

I have an opportunity to raid a junkyard that is fairly rich in Yota parts but I wont have much time to do it. I really want to pull an extra trans and a couple of t-cases in preparation for a dual t-case build. best part is that none of the parts are going to cost anything!! I have a manual trans 88 with a top shifter. What trucks/runners and cases do I need to be looking for and how are they easily and quickly identified? does the manual or auto trans make a difference? v6 or 4 cyl?

Yes, I know I will have to get an adapter but they have 21 and 23 spline adapters. I would really hate to end up pulling a bunch of parts I can't use.

For T-cases, the top shift gear drive T-cases are the most desired.

You can use the forward shift t-cases too, they just take a little more work.

unmolested first gen front axles are nice, lockouts are easy to grab. Need help?

Last edited:
Try Marlins forum, some tc tech is there.
most of what you need, look up chaincases , these are a nogo.
Damn near all the geardrive cases will work.
In before "they are all the same"
And
"Except for xxxx case"
W 56 and
R series tranny's
Most all a turbo trucks drivetrain also.

Old school Sami guys (notflatbill) like first gen front driveshafts,

I'm in Northeast Texas but the parts are in Louisiana, hence the limited time frame...

FJ60/80 steering boxes. Also, one can never have enough driveshafts. I’m constantly growing my collection. I get them for $35 a shaft at the yard here. Don’t forget the hardware for said driveshafts.

Land Cruiser front Hi Pinion 3rds. Toyota driveline bolts. Driveshafts/yokes. IFS rear 8” axles, any front solid axle. Turbo manifolds and ECUs. (Those you can ship to me haha).

Land Cruiser front Hi Pinion 3rds. Toyota driveline bolts. Driveshafts/yokes. IFS rear 8” axles, any front solid axle. Turbo manifolds and ECUs. (Those you can ship to me haha).

I would be keeping those for myself lol.. seriously contemplating a turbo swap but I need to get this thing dragging itself around first!!

There is a hi pinion 80 front over at kilroys right now. Been there for months.

Try Marlins forum, some tc tech is there.
most of what you need, look up chaincases , these are a nogo.
Damn near all the geardrive cases will work.
In before "they are all the same"
And
"Except for xxxx case"
W 56 and
R series tranny's
Most all a turbo trucks drivetrain also.

more questions.. is there a top shift chain drive case?

​​​​If so, can I still use the front section for the doubler into my current top shift gear drive case?

Will a t-case from a top shift auto (is that even a thing) work for the doubler?

Has to be 4cyl parts correct? Spline count and other differences??

I'm gonna have to stay with a top shift or swap my trans. With a foreward shift I'm afraid all the levers will get in the way of one another so I would rather have the top shift.

​​​​If so, can I still use the front section for the doubler into my current top shift gear drive case?

Will a t-case from a top shift auto (is that even a thing) work for the doubler?

I'm gonna have to stay with a top shift or swap my trans. With a foreward shift I'm afraid all the levers will get in the way of one another so I would rather have the top shift.

No

Apparently You have NOT searched jack or these questions would NOT be a mystery to ya!
You need to google facebook mallcrawler.

I'm in Northeast Texas but the parts are in Louisiana, hence the limited time frame...

Do share! Im in East Texas. LOL

It's crazy, I use to find trucks and parts everywhere but here within the last couple of years they have become very scarce!

It's crazy, I use to find trucks and parts everywhere but here within the last couple of years they have become very scarce!

You can thank the Mexicans for that. The clean ones go south of the border.

Well, I'm in the Mount Pleasant area. I grew up over in Louisiana and still have some connections over there. Any Toyota stuff I find around here is way over priced. I asked a guy about a core t-case that had gears rattling and grinding and he wanted 400 bucks for it. I passed. I'll eventually get over to LA and gather up some stuff.

Top Back Refresh