What's new

Juneteenth 2021- our next Federal holiday

mlk, maybe. X would be right there leading. They were VERY opposite on their approach.

there were absolutely opposite, but malcom X wouldn't have allowed this to be so highjacked by wypepo. not a damned chance.

i'm rather forceful in saying that because there are a significant number of malcom x style versus mlk style protesting and getting inteviewed and it is pretty obvious how much distain they have for much of these kids.

Looking like it's going to happen. It passed the Senate, the House will likely cower to the pressure. WTF has this country become. :mad3:

Looking like it's going to happen. It passed the Senate, the House will likely cower to the pressure. WTF has this country become. :mad3:
What’s the big deal? I’m totally indifferent to it, unless I get a paid day off from work...then I’m all for it. :flipoff2:

I'm all for it, never knew about it until recently. It's also a state holiday next year for me anyway. :flipoff2:
I plan on starting celebrating this year by starting off slow and tapering off from there. :laughing:

Fuck it, count me in. I won't get the day off, but I'll get triple time. Make all the stupid holidays you want- I'll go work my ass off and grill burgers when I get home.

:flipoff2:

Wtf is juneteenth?!
This was originally just a Texas thing, I remember it from back when I was a kid, and it went way before that. June 19th was when a Union general stood on the porch of a house on Broadway in Galveston and read the Emancipation proclamation, or at least read OF it.. The war had been over for a few months, and that proclamation was signed in 1862, but this was the first word to reach Texas that slavery had actually officially been abolished: they were just in a holding pattern between the end of the war and June 19th. Blacks had been celebrating that ever since around here, it just went national over the last decade or so.. Anything for a holiday, I guess..

Cinc De Mayo from the French Foriegn Legion view

Battle of Camarón - Wikipedia

Jean Danjou - Wikipedia
The hand

The story

There is a famous quote from Danjou :

"Mes amis, nous sommes deux, ils sont mille, la position est ideale, encerclons les !"
"Friends, we are two, they are a thousand, the position is ideal, let's surround them !"

right before he charged in the battlefield for the last time.

This was originally just a Texas thing, I remember it from back when I was a kid, and it went way before that. June 19th was when a Union general stood on the porch of a house on Broadway in Galveston and read the Emancipation proclamation, or at least read OF it.. The war had been over for a few months, and that proclamation was signed in 1862, but this was the first word to reach Texas that slavery had actually officially been abolished: they were just in a holding pattern between the end of the war and June 19th. Blacks had been celebrating that ever since around here, it just went national over the last decade or so.. Anything for a holiday, I guess..
Yep, I grew up with it. It just was something that was present in TX. We studied it in school. It's a good thing to celebrate.
However, with many states picking this up it makes me think that radicalization of it is coming. It's no longer my holiday to celebrate even though I've done it my whole life. I'll no longer be worthy because of my light tan.

Heard about in the 80s when some folks drown because they was celebrating to hard

There is a famous quote from Danjou :

"Mes amis, nous sommes deux, ils sont mille, la position est ideale, encerclons les !"
"Friends, we are two, they are a thousand, the position is ideal, let's surround them !"

right before he charged in the battlefield for the last time.
Kind of makes you wonder how they got the reputation of being cowards

Probably cancel Columbus Day and replace with it.
My company has stopped recognizing Columbus day, and replaced it with MLK as a paid holiday. And Thanksgiving is being pushed off as Friendsgiving more and more.

You would also think that if they wanted to take BLM any kind of seriously that they would stop acting like they do in the videos you posted from CHOP.
:homer:

I was shown a FB video today of an altercation between the Longview, Tx PD and some :mr-t:'s. No clue what started it, but after watching it for 30 seconds my mind was made up about who needed beatings...... Those police officers had alot more patients than I would have had in that situation.

Stupid fucks bring it upon themselves and then cry racist when they are called out. Thats the shit that pisses me off to no end. :mad3:
Shouldn’t the police leave the patients to the doctors? Seems like they are busy enough with the criminals.

Heard about in the 80s when some folks drown because they was celebrating to hard
It always has been a really big deal, As I recall the black churches pretty much ran them when I was a kid, then once things changed back in the '70s (post-integration, etc.) it started moving to a municipal deal; every town with a black population started having a "centralized" Juneteenth celebration.. I personally never really went to one as I recall, that was just a "black thing", but it was always a big deal.. Nobody ever got the day off or anything, they'd just pick the closest saturday/sunday and make that the Juneteenth celebration.. Not sure why that theory wouldn't work nationally and not jack with the calendar..

I don't get it, why not a Federal holiday on Dec 6 to mark when the 13th Amendment was ratified? All Juneteenth is is when the Union military forced Texas into emancipation at the end of the Civil War. I don't understand why that would be a Federal holiday? It wasn't even a national event.

Yep, I grew up with it. It just was something that was present in TX. We studied it in school. It's a good thing to celebrate.
However, with many states picking this up it makes me think that radicalization of it is coming. It's no longer my holiday to celebrate even though I've done it my whole life. I'll no longer be worthy because of my light tan.
That's probably right, it's going to go from just something in between the fourth of July and a Cinco de mayo drunkfest,into something with the BLM crowd getting their hooks into it and making it a giant civil rights protest festival..

I don't get it, why not a Federal holiday on Dec 6 to mark when the 13th Amendment was ratified? All Juneteenth is is when the Union military forced Texas into emancipation at the end of the Civil War. I don't understand why that would be a Federal holiday? It wasn't even a national event.
I think it's just a function of having a specific "holiday" in place already: all the celebrations, rap bands playing in the parks, etc. etc.: you're not just manufacturing an event out of whole cloth like you would with any of the other "major dates" in emancipation.. Those would be starting from scratch, this has well over a century of celebratory history already attached, even if it has only "spread" relatively recently. It's already packaged up nicely with traditions and such already in place.

Top Back Refresh