What's new

Johnson Valley gps track request - Thor's Hammer

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
Anyone have a .gpx file or something similar of this trail? I realized after the KOH pre-show that I don't have that one marked on my personal maps.

I can say that I tried to run it using turtle trucks guide on carto tracks and it seemed off

Bump - ever figure this out?

Or, anyone got a link to a map that shows some of the newer trails that may not be on maps that are more than a few years old? Everything I've got is somewhat outdated now...

I hope he finds it and posts it when he returns.
I'll definitely get it from some of my recovery buddies. There's a good chance they'll be out on that trail.

Onx did some weird stuff today. They added hammertown, but my home made gpx files of the area appears to have disappeared and gotten replaced by their own. I had mine color coded so I could tell the trails apart with a quick glance, so it's hard to tell what's going on, but they may have added it. Gonna have to check

I ran it last weekend. Between upper and lower big jonhson is a left hand turn. Turn left, go down steep ass hill and it’s on the left. There is a sign. Bailout is no joke, DontNeedRoadz got me thru it, no problem.

:tank:
Yeah the sand hill in the middle of the Johnsons is where you start. Coming down upper, its on the left; going up, its on the right. make the crest and follow it the fun way down. It's a legit trail, don't go in with weak steering or without lockers. I'm curious to see how all the rig with a spool will do in there, mf'ers gonna be sawing at the wheel.

8180CC44-96EE-47A8-AB31-A5080EA6F3DA.png

Is it in the dark red next to gatekeeper?

There was a second trail on the sign. Don’t remember what it was.
Dave Cole's pic from thor's hammer he posted today looks like it has the sand hill between upper and lower johnson in the background. That makes sense if it shares the canyon with gatekeeper. Also, you know KOH is getting gnarly if they're making the course with a bomber trail chassis.
:
_nc_ohc=1LZkZDNOaDMAX_PS9Fi&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

Yeah, we ran into Dave between upper and lower big Johnson. He was the one who told us Thors hammer was fun near the bottom. He was surprised three of us made it up and out the bypass. He didn’t think we would go that far. He was running around in the bomber chassis that day, he went up past the bypass, which apparently is much tougher.

Edit: the funny part was when I introduced myself to Dave Cole because I didn’t recognize him with goggles and a face mask on. I’ve met him a bunch of times and did not recognize him at all. I introduced myself, and, he’s like I know who you are, and then pulled his mask off. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
For those that were still wondering, yep, that was Thor's hammer. There's even a nice little sign at the bottom of the wash. The top is here:

34°26'26.6"N 116°28'27.3"W​

1675871925768.png

We wheeled up lower big johnson, and then turned right and went down the sandy hill, then up the canyon. There's a little metal sign at the bottom that says "Thor's hammer" now. I need to go back and update my hammers map and then I'll post at GPX, but it's pretty self explanatory. Like Frank was saying, there's a bailout just before a sandy climb. Anything after that sandy climb is gnarly, not so much because the rocks are big, but more because it's steep, has off camber switch backs, and the consequences of rolling on that segment are big.

These are the best shot I could get because it was getting dark by the time we got to the top. Hard to tell in the pics, but it's steep.

JOJRX_R8W5_Vx8R7GuhgtdHXw=w1188-h894-no?authuser=0.jpg

WvPC0qQU6Uv_aypk0rzC6YxMw=w1188-h894-no?authuser=0.jpg

Lower Thor's Hammer was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend wheeling it if you get a chance.

Also while we were out there, some absolute badass showed up at the top on his yamaha and rode down the whole thing:
V8HYMA1BI7AWFwxTuNwV5qFdQ=w1188-h894-no?authuser=0.jpg

Top Back Refresh