What's new

JK/JL - new vs used?n

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
I will probably be getting a manual transmissin JK or JL. It doesnt need to be a rubicon.

Example would be a 2015 with 40k mikes for 24,500, or a brand new one for $32,000 msrp

My question is, does it make sense to buy new if those are the prices? I can wait a couple months for lower prices, do dealerships offer good deals? I only dealt with a dealer once, MB, and they knocked alot off the msrp. Never dealt with chrysler.

Have you looked into leasing :flipoff2:

As a hater of JKs, and a fresh owner of a 2010 JKU Rubicon... I cant imagine not buying a rubicon.

From what I gather FCA doesnt offer rebates or the like on wranglers because they sell themselves. Youre basically haggling with the dealer at that point, who doesnt care, 'cause another fag will buy it when you're done screwing around.

Have you looked into leasing :flipoff2:

As a hater of JKs, and a fresh owner of a 2010 JKU Rubicon... I cant imagine not buying a rubicon.

From what I gather FCA doesnt offer rebates or the like on wranglers because they sell themselves. Youre basically haggling with the dealer at that point, who doesnt care, 'cause another fag will buy it when you're done screwing around.

I will be using it for a purpose and that purpose is not wheeling it, so i dont want to pay the rubi premium. Isnt it cheaper to upgrade to rubi axles and tcase myself anyway, if i really want to?

2010 is 10 years old at this point, which is older than Id like.

Thanka for the other tip, guess that makes sense, its sellers market

I will be using it for a purpose and that purpose is not wheeling it, so i dont want to pay the rubi premium. Isnt it cheaper to upgrade to rubi axles and tcase myself anyway, if i really want to?

2010 is 10 years old at this point, which is older than Id like.

Thanka for the other tip, guess that makes sense, its sellers market

Quit being so secretive, what's the intended use?

Quit being so secretive, what's the intended use?

I need something to train people on stick shift. Image is important, I dont live in BFE, and the wrangler would be a great choice. Also may rent it out.

​​​​

I have never driven a semi or any 2-4 ton trucks newer than '72 how close are the transmissions going to be shifting wise? Obviously the truck will have more gears I mean are new truck transmissions synchronized?

I need something to train people on stick shift. Image is important, I dont live in BFE, and the wrangler would be a great choice. Also may rent it out.

​​​​

Meh, apples to oranges driving wise. I'm guessing you're an instructor now?

Yes instructor. Its actually apples to apples - I mainly need people to learn how to feel the clutch, and to get used to the standard shift pattern. 10 speed truck is gone too, so theres no need for double clutching and feeling the gears either. People that have never operated a clutch of any kind are just horrible in a truck. edit: yes new truck has a synchro trans. Manuals in general ste going away anyway.

But stick training will be offered as a separate driving course, really if I can book it twice a month, it will cover the payment and get me a spare car to drive.

Sounds to me like you want a Jeep and your using that excuse to warrant buying one.

If what you stated above is true, wouldn't a 2wd 5spd Taco or Frontier do the same thing and be "presentable" enough? Sure would be cheaper.....

Admit it, you want to be one of "them". :lmao:

:flipoff2:

Ok i admit. I need a reason to buy one. Admitting that im gay wont happen. I need to pass it off as a business idea, investment, something, that wont make me feel like i am "them".

Buta wrangler would sell a lot more classes than a taco or a frontier, people absolutely love them here, and i love some of the colors.

Well if you want it for yourself first and a training vehicle second I see only one problem with your plan.
you're going to be pissed when a student driver is popping / slipping the clutch in it and tearing up your jeep.

I bought my wife a dealer demo fully loaded 16 JKUR with 5k miles for a steal from a dealer that couldn't move it because it was a stick. My wife just so happened to only want a manual so it was a win win for me. I watched it for 2.5 months on various car.sales sites before going in and telling them what i was going to pay for it. They laughed, I walked out, drove away, and got a call 15min later to come back and sign the paperwork.

You wanting a manual transmission is an advantage when buying a Wrangler. Just remember, the cheaper models will sell regardless of transmission option. Its the higher end models with manual transmissions that are a hard sell. Go big and get yourself a Rubicon model up front. You may not need those options for the business but they are nice to have in a personal vehicle.

Well if you want it for yourself first and a training vehicle second I see only one problem with your plan.
you're going to be pissed when a student driver is popping / slipping the clutch in it and tearing up your jeep.

It doesnt compare to doing the same thing in a truck. Once a bellhousing actually broke, causing the clutch to get stuck. Another time clutch literally started falling apart and dropping pieces through thr inspection cover. Nothing they do in that small little gas engine compares remotely close to doing it in a big diesel. New truck clutches dont really slip either, so telling them to "feel" it is difficult when the thing acts like an on/off switch pretty much.

​​​​​I stopped taking on people without stick experience because of this, but like i said, if i can book 2 stick sessions a month (at maybe 450 dollars each, thise are the local prices), regardless of truck students or not, then it pays for itself.

Thanks for the tip on buying a loaded model, i was looking at the bare bones models. 50k for a rubi is hard to swallow. What was the offer you made??

Is it possible to buy a new one for MSRP? I was looking at the gladiators, online I can build something I would like for $34k. However all of the dealers seem to be much higher given similar options.

I bought my wife a Sahara JKU back in 2014, I was looking for a used one, but prices were so similar for New and used, that it made sense to buy new for a few more thousand and have a new warranty and better financing. That being said I did have to deal with about 5 dealers before finding one who would do any negotiating on a new wrangler.

IMO, the market is still a little lop sided on used. Given how the 4 doors hold their value, I would buy new. I would have a hard time paying 65-70% of new cost on a 5 year old vehicle with 40k miles (miles not too bad). IMO, if you do the quick math it works out better to just buy new in that instance. You will get better interest rates, better warranty, and you will know the history of the vehicle. You can find JL for MSRP or less. My wife drove 3 hours to go look at a new one a week ago and it was 2k less than MSRP. So, you can find them, you might have to be willing to travel a bit to go find them.

Not sure where you are, but i picked up a new JL when they came out from Dennis Dillon in ID. Built it on jeeps website and sent it to them and they ordered it. They took several k off msrp. I paid 38k+TTL for a rubicon with an auto. Not sure what MSRP was then, but i would guess they took at least 4k off.

I bought my wife a Sahara JKU back in 2014, I was looking for a used one, but prices were so similar for New and used, that it made sense to buy new for a few more thousand and have a new warranty and better financing. That being said I did have to deal with about 5 dealers before finding one who would do any negotiating on a new wrangler.

Pretty much this. When I was buying my used RAM my Credit Union would not finance anything over 5 years old so if I HAD to finance through them I would have had to find a younger vehicle. Fortunately the Ford Dealer it was at was able to finance, and at a better rate than the CU. They did not care how old it was. They just wanted it off the lot!

If you can find 0% then the math starts looking better on new. Having a brand new suspension and drive train warantee would be nice but it would still have to be a really good deal for me to buy new.

​​​​

You buy the shittiest small car with a manual. Install double pedals. Teach.

This is still page 1 for people who know how to adjust settings properly.

OK so he's vain and wants a trendy thing to teach people to drive stick in, because a sedan is below him or some shit. That is just plain dumb.

No, he wants to use it as a marketing tool. So that when he drives around with his information on the side he looks like a reputable company who I want to give my business too and not some schmuck in a crappy econobox.

No, he wants to use it as a marketing tool. So that when he drives around with his information on the side he looks like a reputable company who I want to give my business too and not some schmuck in a crappy econobox.

Its Los Angeles, not BFE. Image matters. Nothing about being vane, but the pressure is on and you need to offer more to a customer to survive these days.

Also - training happens in a dirt lot. Gravel, dust, dirt, etc. not a place for a sedan, interior will get trashed, thats the main reason I am looking at a utility vehicle

38k for a rubicon... shit I dont think thats going to happen here.

Rockota, specs on yours?

​​​​​​

Its Los Angeles, not BFE. Image matters. Nothing about being vane, but the pressure is on and you need to offer more to a customer to survive these days.

Also - training happens in a dirt lot. Gravel, dust, dirt, etc. not a place for a sedan, interior will get trashed, thats the main reason I am looking at a utility vehicle

38k for a rubicon... shit I dont think thats going to happen here.

Rockota, specs on yours?

​​​​​​

I'll send you a PM shortly!

If you get one, deactivate their bullshit hill assist.

​​​​​​

A new JL isnt anymore utilitarian, interior wise, than any other entry level car. They're pretty plush option wise. Also, it would take all of $200 to make a 2007 JK look like a 2017 from a passing glance. And that's for people in the know.

Teaching an idiot to take off with 3.21s on a high strung gasser isnt exactly ideal, I'd want something that would leave just by letting out the clutch. I can just imagine them winding up cummins to 2k+ and taking off :laughing:

Want to ride around in a Jeep for advertising, go for it. But I'd have a clunker ready to tear up hiding in the corner for testing. It's like motorcycle class, they have cheap ass bikes to crash for a reason. You're not riding around on street glides to get a feel of the clutch.

Having ridden in a 2010ish 4-door wrangler with a manual trans (I call them Cherokees), I can honestly say that they are so dangerously slow that they should be put in the same category as mopeds and implements of husbandry and not allowed on the U.S. interstate system.

Top Back Refresh