What's new

JHF Goatbuilt Trail Buggy

I've just been out enjoying this thing. It's been pretty flawless for the most part. Two things that have been bugging me were the steering wheel quick connect and the front drive shaft.

The steering wheel connect keeps getting stuck and wont free up, it was a ball bearing style that I got from poly performance. It relies on three small ball bearings and started acting up at the hammers. It seems to work OK in the rain but when it dries out it gets stuck again. I converted it over to an older style one that uses a slide pin, it did over 10 years in my sami buggy so I know it will work.

The front driveshaft midship flange has been moving toward the frame under decel load and hits under heavy engine braking and when I'm hard on the throttle and the tires unload. The carrier bearing is mounted using a poly bushing and I believe that as it has broke in it is moving around some. Before taking more drastic measures, like moving the entire powertrain over, I'm giving a load bolt a shot. I welded a sleeve to the frame and installed a bolt that pushes against the carrier bearing preventing it from moving toward the frame. It will still allow the bearing to move in the other plains so that it can move with the powertrain.

One other thing that I did last weekend was install a larger air compressor. This is the first rig I haven't had on board air or at least a small compressor on and I thought I would need air so rarely that it wouldn't be too big a deal to just bum it off others. I had a tire burping the inner bead two weeks ago and it drove me crazy having to find air every time it got low. I ended up with a spare ARB twin air in an ordering snafu this winter that I have been half ass trying to sell. I decided to mount it up so I'd have my own air in the future.

20220521_132347.jpg

20220521_132413.jpg

20220521_110510.jpg

20220521_154010.jpg

20220521_121115.jpg

20220521_123916.jpg

20220521_133658.jpg

20220521_153432.jpg

Took the buggy up to Naches for the holiday weekend. I'm finally beginning to feel in tune with how it works. Everything went well with no real problems, with the buggy anyway...

On the way up to camp on Friday morning the transfer case in my tow pig started making some funny sounds. I made it to camp and decided I wasn't going to let it ruin my weekend and proceeded to forget about it and wheel. I was hopeful that in 2wd it would be OK for the trip home. That turned out to not be the case. :homer: On the way back out to the highway on Sunday the case started making some cool clicking noises and when I got it out on to the road at about 25mph it sounded like the entire powertrain wanted to exit the vehicle. Thanks to a couple of good friends with trucks we managed to get everything home late sunday night. Monday I confirmed that the fluid in the t-case was super burnt and looked like bass boat paint. :barf:

18826.jpeg
18825.jpeg
18816 (1).jpeg
20220703_154932.jpg

20220703_153339.jpg

Took the buggy up to Naches for the holiday weekend. I'm finally beginning to feel in tune with how it works. Everything went well with no real problems, with the buggy anyway...

On the way up to camp on Friday morning the transfer case in my tow pig started making some funny sounds. I made it to camp and decided I wasn't going to let it ruin my weekend and proceeded to forget about it and wheel. I was hopeful that in 2wd it would be OK for the trip home. That turned out to not be the case. :homer: On the way back out to the highway on Sunday the case started making some cool clicking noises and when I got it out on to the road at about 25mph it sounded like the entire powertrain wanted to exit the vehicle. Thanks to a couple of good friends with trucks we managed to get everything home late sunday night. Monday I confirmed that the fluid in the t-case was super burnt and looked like bass boat paint. :barf:

Tough break on the tow rig, but at least it looks like it was a good time wheeling. I had a buddy that had the NV273 in his Dodge blow up on I40 in Albuquerque towing a car, and that was a fucking mess :eek: Took out both the driveshafts too.

Did you have the front suspension bottomed out with the suckdown? The was a hell of a wheel stand coming over the top, and some definite pucker factor going on there.

Did you have the front suspension bottomed out with the suckdown? The was a hell of a wheel stand coming over the top, and some definite pucker factor going on there.
Front sucked down, coming over the top the left front was actually driving the wall. It's difficult to see in the video, but you have to turn onto the landing pad and its not very wide where you go onto it. I got another video last night from a guy that was at the top. I'll post that in a little bit.

I used an in tank pump to keep the pump noise down and chevrolet factory pumps have a good "surge tank" design in them where the return line dumps into the pickup bucket. They'll provide fule for a pretty good amount of time with the vehicle out of shape. I used factory fuel lines back to the rear of the seats and build hard lines the rest of the way back to the tank.

20180912_183021.jpg

Just stumbled across this - I've been looking for an easy in-tank pump solution for my RCI cell. Did that plate/retaining ring come from Goatbuilt? Does it use the stock RCI 12 bolt pattern?

Just stumbled across this - I've been looking for an easy in-tank pump solution for my RCI cell. Did that plate/retaining ring come from Goatbuilt? Does it use the stock RCI 12 bolt pattern?
Yes to both. I got it from goatbuilt and it will bolt onto the standard rci filler pattern.

Top Back Refresh