What's new

Jeep value?

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I know nothing about Jeeps besides they are gay and expensive.

I am looking to add another vehicle to my business and have found this one for sale.

It ticks off the checklist

Auto
Slightly lifted
Bright color
Underbody glow (fag) lights
Loud Stereo

Paint job is 1 year old so not sure if it is old enough to see if it is hiding a bunch of BS body work or not

Asking $10k

4 cyl motor

Thoughts?

What do you think a fair price for it is?

Click image for larger version  Name:	100574732_3350969324914281_8172851915613274112_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	11749
Click image for larger version  Name:	100611827_3350969441580936_2737249560446369792_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	11750
Click image for larger version  Name:	100548813_3350969374914276_6382872562124193792_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.4 KB ID:	11751
Click image for larger version  Name:	100762128_3350969414914272_7891134333379936256_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	11752
Click image for larger version  Name:	100074214_3350969274914286_1409623187263586304_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	11753

Looks like a rental roll over waiting to happen.

But since you asked...Maybe around 7.

I dunno

Jeeps are stupid. That wouldn't last 10 minutes on a lot here. Not gay ones go for $20k here, they're worse than Toyotas.

Your area is going to be fairly specific on prices.

Its perfect for an East Tennessee rental. For a tj, it is 3k-5k high. That is not to say it will not sell, but that is really high for a 2.5 tj. If the gay paint,wheels and cheap lift make you money from the get go it might be a good buy for you. Value has a lot to do with return on investment in your case. It would be a terrible buy for someone looking for a good deal on a personal TJ. That is based off of NC,SC,GA,TN prices that I can find private party, not salvage rebuilds.

I'd say keep it listed for 10K the first fruit that jews you down to 9K go for it. He will think it's a deal, and you will go home laughing 'cause he way overpaid.

BTW the 2.5L auto jeeps are hard to find. But they make great drivetrains for rockcrawling.

I'd say keep it listed for 10K the first fruit that jews you down to 9K go for it. He will think it's a deal, and you will go home laughing 'cause he way overpaid.

BTW the 2.5L auto jeeps are hard to find. But they make great drivetrains for rockcrawling.

So he should offer 9k?

That being said, the 2.5L auto is hard to come by. I'd offer 9K.

There's a reason for that. The 2.5 is a big enough dog when you can stir the stick yourself.

There's no way I'd pay $10k for a 23 year old 4 banger Jeep presumably sitting on the factory axles.

I'm struggling with reading comprehension today. I thought he was selling it.

That being said, the 2.5L auto is hard to come by. I'd offer 9K.

If I were to ever buy another TJ/ LJ, I would only get a 4.0, 6 speed... I am biased though. I do NOT miss my Jeep. I made money on it though. :flipoff2:

Pretty much what I thought.

it is not a great deal

it is not a horrible deal

I guess I will check it out and if it is not all full of rust holes and bondo I will see if I can pick it up for $9k.

My ROI on that should break even in 45 days so I think it will work.

Me personally, I would not buy it unless I was planning a build and if that was the case I would want it for much less as I would be tossing everything out.

They are bringing it by tomorrow so i will know more then.

Pretty much what I thought.

it is not a great deal

it is not a horrible deal

I guess I will check it out and if it is not all full of rust holes and bondo I will see if I can pick it up for $9k.

My ROI on that should break even in 45 days so I think it will work.

Me personally, I would not buy it unless I was planning a build and if that was the case I would want it for much less as I would be tossing everything out.

They are bringing it by tomorrow so i will know more then.

It all varies by location... here, that's a 5-6k Jeep max. It's gutless (which may be a good thing if it's a rental) and it's a light show (also good I guess if it's a rental)... :flipoff2:

Even as a rental, if that thing is has it's stock gearing it's gonna be a complete dog with a 2.5L and an auto. If people just want to cruise through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg or Cades Cove with it, might be alright but that thing will struggle to maintain 55 on the highway and that clapped out 2.5L is gonna be working it's ass off.

agree with east beast, it nothing else, buy it cheap enough that you can gear the piss out of it. old 4cyl auto? = no fun to drive. 5.x gears would probably help a ton for being able to do things like, merge with traffic and exit parking lots though.

especially for $222.22/day just looking like a gay jeep surely isn't enough when everything else you have is billed as "fun to drive!" you might as well do what you can to make the jeep fun to drive also instead of "short wheelbase, no power, shit suspension"

Even as a rental, if that thing is has it's stock gearing it's gonna be a complete dog with a 2.5L and an auto. If people just want to cruise through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg or Cades Cove with it, might be alright but that thing will struggle to maintain 55 on the highway and that clapped out 2.5L is gonna be working it's ass off.

Could easily achieve 55mph man... on the back of a flatbed. :flipoff2:

I'd look for a newer unmolested 2 door JK over that if you're looking for cheaper SWB Jeeps.

Graphic vinyl, lights, and sound systems are cheap additions compared to clapped out 4 bangers and rancho lift kits that ride and drive like shit.

Yes that is just what it is for. Cruising around, going through Cade Cove. No highways, no speeds much over 40 mph

I'd look for a newer unmolested 2 door JK over that if you're looking for cheaper SWB Jeeps.

Graphic vinyl, lights, and sound systems are cheap additions compared to clapped out 4 bangers and rancho lift kits that ride and drive like shit.

I have debated getting a new(er) Jeep, but the price is so high.

I figure with this one I can test it out, make sure it rents out like I think it will and if it does then getting into a nicer more expensive one will make sense.

I am also looking to have a couple tiers of vehicles, nicer shit for more money or less nice for less money

agree with east beast, it nothing else, buy it cheap enough that you can gear the piss out of it. old 4cyl auto? = no fun to drive. 5.x gears would probably help a ton for being able to do things like, merge with traffic and exit parking lots though.

especially for $222.22/day just looking like a gay jeep surely isn't enough when everything else you have is billed as "fun to drive!" you might as well do what you can to make the jeep fun to drive also instead of "short wheelbase, no power, shit suspension"

I give up trying to multi-quote, it just will not work for me.

If it is a total dog then I will regear the rear as that is the only one it will use anyway - lol

I figure with this one I can test it out, make sure it rents out like I think it will and if it does then getting into a nicer more expensive one will make sense.

I am also looking to have a couple tiers of vehicles, nicer shit for more money or less nice for less money

if you have a 45 day payback on a 10k jeep, how often do you think you can get it rented per month? then a higher priced jeep would do a lot, even if it is just to keep you from looking like a used car lot trying to pass off old junk.

2-3 days a month would cover the payment on a brand new, 0% interest jeep with all the doo-dads financed to the hilt and a functional A/C. grandpa doesn't want to rent clapped out nonsense. if you want a slow fun jeep, then spend $15k or whatever they run, to get a factory restored post war jeep

Few hundred more, JK and a set of stock flares to unfuck it.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/franklin-2008-jeep-wrangler-sahara-jk/7125483816.html

https://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/d/murfreesboro-jeep-jk-stock-fender-flares/7110743181.html

Yeah, this is a lot better. Fortunately (or unfortunately), all that terrible looking bullshit likely makes it more appealing to his customer base.

I just think $10k is pretty off-base for that Jeep. My Dad bought a '99 TJ in the last 2-3 years on the other side of the mountains for $7500 and it had a 4.0 and a lot less miles on it. I'd say keep looking or let that one sit for awhile and offer him a lot less. That 2.5L is guaranteed clapped out and on it's last legs. The entire drivetrain probably is. I see a lot of headaches and maintenance in the near future for whoever buys that thing.

I wrote this in response to a friend of mine who is looking for a cheap farm/hunting jeep that would replace their side by side. Ultimately, after further discussion he's now searching for a Tracker/Sidekick/Samurai.

You really need to understand that jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. That's a bit tongue and cheek but it's a reference to the fact that they are money pits that are always in need of repair. They're ultimately a Chrysler product and thus have some cost savings flaws that lead to some owners finding them frustratingly difficult to maintain. The worse the condition is that you start with, the more of a nightmare it will be to own. If you can spend a little more on the front end, the cost in time and money to keep it going on the back end will be much much lower.

I would recommend paying somewhere between $7,500-$10,000. That price point will buy you a well cared for 91-02 wrangler. The 5 speed manual transmission, 4.0 h.o 6 cylinder engine will be the most reliable and best performing combination. Do not waste your money on a 4cyl.

The 97-02 (TJ) wranglers will be the most comfortable from a ride standpoint since they are coil spring with a multi-link suspension vs the 91-95 (YJ) jeeps that were leaf sprung. That said, the YJ is a great platform that is slightly less complicated and can likely be found for slightly less money.

The 03-06 wranglers are very similar to the first generation of the TJ. However, they do have some "upgraded" systems that proved to be just as unreliable and ultimately are more expensive to repair. They also demand a higher initial purchase price which in my opinion is unwarranted. If you can find a good deal on one, it is not a deal breaker by any means, but I don't ever recommend anyone seek them out.

Personally, I prefer the 97-99 wranglers. They were in my experience the most reliable years. Not that any of the components very much from later models, but something about those build dates seem to lead to the best owner experience.

There are a lot of jeeps that have been improperly customized. I would do my best to seek out a well equipped jeep, or better yet, one that isn't customized. One of the leading factors to having a bad owner experience is cheap aftermarket parts that lead to snowball effects that compromise longevity. Things like steering component angles that are out of spec from the OEM design. Driveshaft angles that require dropping the skid plate and angling the drivetrain which then oriented the engine mounts, t-case shifter and driveshaft angles in binding positions causing the shifters to be temperamental, u-joints to wear and motor mounts to fail. Those are just examples but there are a laundry list of modifications available for jeeps on the aftermarket that have terrible long term effects.

I can help you navigate these potential problems and guide you toward a good deal. For every 100 jeeps, 90 of them are junk that you don't want. Of the 10 that are worth owning, 7 will be priced at a premium. 2 will be fair and one will be a bargain. It's completely worthwhile to buy one of those 10, even if it's at a slight premium. The cost of ownership really plays a big part in the overall cost of a Jeep.

I agree that is a much nicer Jeep.

My market is people who want to be seen.

Bright colors, flashing lights, loud stereo, those are my customers and they pay for that shit.

If this one works out I will get a brand new one next.

I kinda want to test the waters with it.

I believe I can get $200-$250 a day for it here

So 45 rental days will recoup my money on that $9k Jeep

How long will it take to get it rented 45 days, well that depends on the weather, I would think no longer than 2 months.

I think you should buy it for 6k tops

I don't think anyone else will pay him 6500 for it

I think you could buy a mechanically sound 6 cylinder jeep for 4500, send it straight to maaco for a $600 paint job and have $1800 worth of brand new seats, wheels and tires sitting at your shop when it gets back

or add $600 for lights and tunes

do you rent shit at night? Do the lights actually add rental value?

edit: I do understand the urgency of a ready to rent jeep for your season. Even with that, that jeep is overpriced, and with a 4cyl, the potential for out of service time is too high, lowball and experiment here, or use your 9 grand more wisely

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh