What's new

Java's F450 RV

OK one more time..... Is a "custom" tune that much better than a canned tune? No I wont have my truck on a dyno etc. Its just a what I would call tailored more than a "canned" tune?

I am fine with what I have now (delete and +70hp), I do wish it held 5th longer on steeper grades (lower rpms=more boost and more egt), but otherwise it drives fine.

Thoughts? Worth 1k??

I'd say it really depends on the tuner. We have a few guys here in NH that are worth it. https://www.tmsdiesel.com/ Talk to Zac, tell him I sent you.

Thanks, I emailed No Limit fab as well, they seem pretty well regarded (took over tyrant tuning when owner passed or something...)

Ok, so talk to Rob at No Limit. Tell him I sent you.

I asked a couple Times...

photo35085.jpg

Is it possible for you to list the specs of your lovely rig? :D

Specifically; I'm interested/inquiring on the front rims.
Rim size?
What bolt pattern?
Brand of rim?

Also;
What year is the rig?

Yes, I have been meaning to try to make a first post with links to specific parts of the build....

Tim's are 19.5 8.5 Hutchinson double bead locks.
10x225

2008 F450 pickup chassis

Yes, I have been meaning to try to make a first post with links to specific parts of the build....

Tim's are 19.5 Hutchinson double bead locks.
10x225

2008 F450 pickup chassis

Ah; beautiful! Thanks :beer:

Would you happen to know if Hutchinson makes a 20" version of that wheel?

Ah; beautiful! Thanks :beer:

Would you happen to know if Hutchinson makes a 20" version of that wheel?

Not in 10x225 sadly. Otherwise I'd be searching like a meth head!

If I go 20" it will likely be with 1st Attack wheels. Not alu or beadlock tho sadly. Also only available in 11" wide.

Back in this thread I consider welding up my own wheels..... Still thinking lol

Last edited:
Not un 10x225 sadly. Otherwise I'd be searching like a meth head!

If I go 20" it will likely be with 1st Attack wheels. Not alu or beadlock tho sadly

Awesome!

The reason for the queries is I might be swapping in an '06 F-550 front axle under my '94 Bronco.

1st Attack wheels and tires make said swap that much more of a possibility. :smokin:

Thanks for the info! :beer:

Got it powered up last night. Charger works. Just need to get the controls wired up now. And tidy wiring up.

One thing I didn't know, it seems the Victron charger will only pass ac thru if it's turned to inverter mode? WRONG, IT JUST TAKES A FEW SECONDS FOR IT TO KICK IN.

caa4ee5b277047ab501c4c22d418a194.jpg

I am so freaking sore. What idiot designed this fucking truck?!?!?!

48" deep, 9" wide.... My wires have to run at the VERY back edge.... Put both arms over your head, shimmy in, brace feet against other wall, breathe out and push.... Ouch. I am not a small person...

49492270188_9b9e38faf4_b.jpg

After drilling two holes (because the first one was too small.....) Feed long stiff wire through and try to hit the hole in the upper shelf. Curse repeatedly. But I got it, take one VE direct cable, one power cable, and one ethernet, and hope like hell you can get it back thru the little hole.

49492770716_bfa24d7e10_b.jpg

Removed the BMV, cut the hole for the Color control, and mounted it.

49492770541_17b59ccf84_b.jpg

Remounted the BMV (you need it for the battery calculations, the color control wont talk to the shunt directly....)

49492270228_6d8bfef26e_b.jpg

And powered it up. No programming. I was exhausted at this point...

49492769931_ed61b1a288_b.jpg

Now the annoying part. The color control will not work with the bluetooth dongles.... WTF. I guess I will see if I can return the VE to USB I bought.... Stupid. It will work on wifi.... But you have to use their wifi dongle they like. And that's a shit load more setup. I guess I will try to learn some networking..... If I can get on the house wifi from where the truck is parked that might be cool though.... Remote data logging is possible I guess. More to learn.

IF YOUR READING THIS AND THINKING OF VICTRON STUFF GO WITH THE CERBO. MUCH MUCH BETTER IT SEEMS THAN THE COLOR CONTROL. 99% SAME FUNCTIONS, TOUCH SCREEN INTERFACE, AND NOT WIFI RELIANT.

Oh and on the programming/networking front.... you have to use THEIR wifi dongle.... It would not recognize any of the ones I had.....

But now it knows its a DC system and will show that on the main screen. And telling it its a vehicle adds an inveter on/off toggle to the front of the other main screen.

49498452896_633fdc26dd_b.jpg

Alright smart people...... Help me out here.

Installed batteries, charger etc. Set the charge profile to what the battery mfg speed. 14.7 bulk, and I don't remember float... According to the meter it was full, taking in no more Power(plugged in for a couple days).

We took it out this weekend, and by this morning batteries were dipping to 12.0 under load.... Shunt showed 95ah drawn out, and ~87% left (set at 500ah).

Battery temp was 39.8F (on the closet ones, the outer wall may be a little colder, but there is an air gap there)

WTF is going on??

PRETTY SURE ITS JUST THE COLD..... VOLTAGE STILL DROPS TO 12 ISH AROUND 85%

And otherwise the weekend was pretty damn decent.

49512609936_dfddedc8ba_b.jpg

49512825652_7d9ee825c1_b.jpg

49516505796_33946f835c_b.jpg

Went to do brakes. Found this.....

Ideas? Still holding 80 psi. Never aired down.... Inside bead of both rears is like this. Front appear fine.

325efc7768d7c4c3c1003b60eae16735.jpg

From someone else who bought the same wheel/tires, here is the insert. Could the height/thickness of the insert be causing the tire to flex further into the sidewall instead of down towards the bead more?

49944787538_b4848a9cc0_z.jpg

K its broken down. That was a chore. Insert isn't gonna come out.... I don't think... Plenty of run flat lube (grease....)

So this is as much as its pinching the beads, that is bolt on half popped up after bolts broken loose.

Not much

49964465468_e871081446_h.jpg

Odd bolts? Locking of some sort?

49964465478_51d3c55dc9_h.jpg

Beads were really stuck onto the wheel. Took a 3lb sledge to break the ring loose.

Lifted right off once unstuck from the tire.

49964967206_921599176d_h.jpg

Insert and bead. Insert is exactly 1"

49965248247_57f5d5fdb9_h.jpg

49964465043_2c76ece16f_h.jpg

Crack in the bead is about 1.5" up. Not really looking like its right at the interface between the ring and tire.

49964966541_8f752ddb31_h.jpg

Big runflat insert. Its HEAVY. And so much grease....

49964458233_89344e6aab_h.jpg

Part number

49964959851_7b64a2c928_h.jpg

Definitely wont fit out easy!

49964460308_e71145a579_h.jpg

This is a bit of wear kinda inside the bead area. Both side. Road grime? You can see the bead profile also, looks normal ish?

49964967296_0bcb7e42e4_h.jpg

Look like a normal 19.5 bead??

49964497133_c9babe9f0d_h.jpg

Here is a standard 19.5 Alcoa

74638d1501890824-22-5-tires-22s-alcoa245003.jpg

there is is.... Thoughts?

Measured tire edge to tire edge... Toe was way off.

Made some alignment jigs. Two 50" pieces of angle iron, drilled for two of the lugs. Tow tape measures, a little duct tape, boom.

50040301961_a222815e3f_h.jpg

50039776678_30c61b07e6_h.jpg

Toe was 1.5" in 4'.... 1.7 degrees toe out.

Factory is 1 degree plus or minus .25, I set mine at .75 degrees in. If its too wandrey, I can jump under and give it a couple cranks.

Well that's pretty much all the tech left over there. Sadly lots of discussion lost.... But I guess it is what it is at this point. Made an index in post #1 for the new comers.

Still interested in tire failure ideas.....

I like the added commenting in RED, sort of sums up each move as good/bad would do again or would not.
As for 19.5 failures and why, I have driven a 21k lb service truck for the last 10 years. It kills tires, fronts, rears doesn't matter.
I have ran all types, Goodyears were the worst, they would lose the tread belt within the first month, must have been some bad ones.

I had the failure you had at the bead many years back but it must have been from low pressure because it hasn't happened again.

I like the added commenting in RED, sort of sums up each move as good/bad would do again or would not.
As for 19.5 failures and why, I have driven a 21k lb service truck for the last 10 years. It kills tires, fronts, rears doesn't matter.
I have ran all types, Goodyears were the worst, they would lose the tread belt within the first month, must have been some bad ones.

I had the failure you had at the bead many years back but it must have been from low pressure because it hasn't happened again.

I am wondering if it was low pressure too.... I have bumped it up since. The local tire shop guys couldn't believe it and thought it must be defect....

Your bead lock is too thick and squeezing the beads. Saw this with Hummer rims and Pitbull tires.

Your bead lock is too thick and squeezing the beads. Saw this with Hummer rims and Pitbull tires.

Why rears only then?

I did measure the insert, as I thought the same. Thing, but the crack is above where the insert sits as far as I can measure.

Why rears only then?

I did measure the insert, as I thought the same. Thing, but the crack is above where the insert sits as far as I can measure.

Weight? I don't know, but we cut down the h1 beadlocks and didn't do that anymore.

Weight? I don't know, but we cut down the h1 beadlocks and didn't do that anymore.

Cool, really appreciate the input. That was my thought as well that it was the beadlock inserts too.

I'm only 2k different front to rear. I may have been a little low on pressure too? I bumped it up trying to avoid it.

Also weird, it was inside bead on both wheels only.

Should I port everything over or just pick up where we left off?

Basics:
2008 F450, 6.4 4x4, aluminum box truck, made into RV.

Index!

First Post/Over view of project - beginning of work

Windows/Crawl Thru/insulation

Interior paneling/Heat

More interior/Wiring/First trip

More interior/Fridge/ Poop tank

Kitchen

Kitchen/Water Tank/Poop Tank/Light Bar

Light bar/Propane tank

Electrical/Storage Drawers

Propane/Electrical/Hot water tank/Plumbing

House battery to start battery wiring/ Dinette table

Roof Repair V1.0/Exterior Shower/ Long BC trip.

Cell booster/misc crap/trips

Snow Trip/ Underbody lights/Cab insulation

Cushions/Show/Hot water Tank Drain/ Microwave/Front Shocks/Storage/ Avalanches....

Air Compressor Install/ Trips

More Air/Air Bag plumbing/ Rear View Cam / Awning V1.0

Roadtrip/ AC Recharge/Poop Tank mishaps.....

Misc Crap

Kelderman Install

Rear Sway Bar

Leaf Pack V1.0

Spray foam Floor Insulation

Leaf Spring Saga

More leaf spring Bullshit

Wheels/Tires

Popped Front Bag/suspension talk

Brakes and Track Bar

Maxxfan Replacement/ DIY alignment/ Wheel balancers

Spare Tire Carrier/Fog Lights

Fender Trimming/Solar

More Solar

Tow Hooks for rear part 1

Tow Hooks Part 2

Awning V2.0

Rock Lights/Interior Trim

Fender Flare / In Cab air control

Solar Controller/EGR delete

EGR part 2

TPMS

Roof Coating V2.0

Roof Cont.

Bath Light / Keggerator

Water Pump Replacement / Crawl Thru upholstery

Front Shocks V2

More front suspension talk / Oil leak fix

Exterior temp sensor install

Second Tow Hook / Front bumper

Bumper Install

Electrical Upgrades

More Electrical Upgrades

Tire Failure!

More Tire

Alignment

giphy.gif

Cool, really appreciate the input. That was my thought as well that it was the beadlock inserts too.

I'm only 2k different front to rear. I may have been a little low on pressure too? I bumped it up trying to avoid it.

Also weird, it was inside bead on both wheels only.

Combination of excessive beadlock insert width, low pressure, AND heat buildup (less cooling between the tires especially at low speeds and aired down)? Just spitballing here. Otherwise, you got REALLY unlucky and had a rock between the duals on both sides enough to scuff up just outside of the bead where the tear is and create a weak point.

Combination of excessive beadlock insert width, low pressure, AND heat buildup (less cooling between the tires especially at low speeds and aired down)? Just spitballing here. Otherwise, you got REALLY unlucky and had a rock between the duals on both sides enough to scuff up just outside of the bead where the tear is and create a weak point.

Maybe too low of pressure with the insert? That is the best guess I have. Super weird to me that it was the inside bead only.

Never aired down... And they are singles in the rear....

I did get a TPMS unit just to watch tire temps... No idea what normal is yet tho. Back Here https://irate4x4.com/tow-rigs-and-trailers/71975-java-s-f450-rv?p=153456#post153456 I posted the temps.

Ohhhhh. I'm spaced out. I read 'both' rears and though both duals... silly me.

Yeah it definitely could be brakes getting hot and causing the inner bead to warm up and weaken, but that seems unlikely. Hard to say! Since the fronts and rears both seemed to go up about the same pressure, I doubt its a heat thing.

Where do you find your camping locations? I seen to be traveling more and more to Oregon and Washing and I want to know where you go.

Ohhhhh. I'm spaced out. I read 'both' rears and though both duals... silly me.

Yeah it definitely could be brakes getting hot and causing the inner bead to warm up and weaken, but that seems unlikely. Hard to say! Since the fronts and rears both seemed to go up about the same pressure, I doubt its a heat thing.

I can imagine they get hot enough, would be the same (if not worse?) with duals. They are free floating in the air right now....

Where do you find your camping locations? I seen to be traveling more and more to Oregon and Washing and I want to know where you go.

Some are old places I just know, some are google maps finds, sometimes just drive random road etc. we have a few we go back to often. Where in particular are you headed?

Top Back Refresh