What's new

Java's F450 RV

OK, my stereo gremlin is back. Rain real had yesterday and now its popping all the time..... Where do I start to fix this?

I assume something is getting wet and shorting, but if the truck is off, stereo should not have power..... Shorting from something else (lock etc?) inside the door? Leaking marker lights? I tried to reseal the marker lights at one point, but I am pretty sure they are leaking again....

separate amp or speakers run directly to a head unit?
refresh our memories on the setup cause too lazy to go look in 30 pages.

well I know those vintage of ford radios to not be really great.
I'd pull it out from the dash and have a look for corrosion and popped caps inside the radio and i'd look for evidence of water at the speakers.
if the speakers and radio are dry I'd chalk it up to a shit OEM radio on the way out and I'd slap a $100 bluetooth head unit in it and roll on.

I'd pull it out from the dash and have a look for corrosion and popped caps inside the radio and i'd look for evidence of water at the speakers.
if the speakers and radio are dry I'd chalk it up to a shit OEM radio on the way out and I'd slap a $100 bluetooth head unit in it and roll on.
It only does it after it rains.... So water has to be getting in somewhere....

My 2002 OEM radio would do some weird shit. Mostly turn the volume to 1000 then not cooperate. I did what is suggested above and never had an issue.

It only does it after it rains.... So water has to be getting in somewhere....
or it has existing corrosion somewhere that shorts when the humidity is high.
or it has caps leaking electrolyte out of them and that does weird shit.

regardless, pull that sum bitch out, pop it's top and look to see if it's been wet.
but I'm willing to bet on shit OEM radio amp that's shitting itself.

My 2002 OEM radio would do some weird shit. Mostly turn the volume to 1000 then not cooperate. I did what is suggested above and never had an issue.
the f450 at work also has a radio that will do super weird shit if you turn it on.
best to just leave it off.

or it has existing corrosion somewhere that shorts when the humidity is high.
or it has caps leaking electrolyte out of them and that does weird shit.

regardless, pull that sum bitch out, pop it's top and look to see if it's been wet.
but I'm willing to bet on shit OEM radio amp that's shitting itself.
Ill try to get it out.

There were also mice in there at one time..... Which makes me think maybe chewed wires?

Ill try to get it out.

There were also mice in there at one time..... Which makes me think maybe chewed wires?
possible, but if they were chewed I imagine you'd have shorts and it would pop while it was on whenever the amp got shorted.

it's odd that it only happens when it's raining, but if the components aren't wet, then it's not water.
Easy enough to ohm out the speaker wires in the harness after you pop a radio, then check them against ground and power.

possible, but if they were chewed I imagine you'd have shorts and it would pop while it was on whenever the amp got shorted.

it's odd that it only happens when it's raining, but if the components aren't wet, then it's not water.
Easy enough to ohm out the speaker wires in the harness after you pop a radio, then check them against ground and power.

If its not currently shorted/wet/dripped on wouldn't it read normal? It works fine, just when turned off it makes all sorts of pops.

It would have memory power but not key on, if something shorted the memory and key on (water) it would turn on.

It would have memory power but not key on, if something shorted the memory and key on (water) it would turn on.
The radio does not turn on, the speakers just pop, like when you connect a 9v battery across speaker terminals.

If its not currently shorted/wet/dripped on wouldn't it read normal? It works fine, just when turned off it makes all sorts of pops.
well I assume you're gonna do some investigations on the physical conditions of the wires.
:flipoff2:

well I assume you're gonna do some investigations on the physical conditions of the wires.
:flipoff2:
Yeah my thinking was pull head unit and door cards. Of course I forgot about this issue all summer.....

Did you get this sold or have you even tried? I’m not interested, just curious.

Did you get this sold or have you even tried? I’m not interested, just curious.
I listed it on expo, but prob a little premature. I need to finish cleaning out all out stuff and detailing it to get interior pics

Top Back Refresh