What's new

Japanese WWII war crimes

Mikel

Member Number
Loc
Conn
One in a long series... Too bad more of these people didn't hang in 1945.

War crimes were performed by everyone in that war.
Pretty simplistic statement.

Just finished a book on the Battle of Wake Island and the subsequent enslavement of the US troops and civilians on the island after the battle. Most were sent to Japan to work on War Projects. The Japanese summarily executed the workers they kept on the Island to build the defenses once it appeared they were going to be liberated by the Allies.

The troops that were brought to Japan were worked, often to death, in near starvation to produce Coal and Timber for the war effort along with offloading ships and building vehicles. Their guards killed or maimed anyone they wanted to for no apparent reason other than their own depravity.

The Japanese Military twisted the Bushido code into a Nationalist brainwash program that convinced service men that anyone who surrendered was subhuman and not worthy of life. Pretty inhuman stuff can happen when you do that.

Lets also not forget their medical experiments with live vivisection and other torturous and barbarous acts in the name of "Science".

So yeah, everyone did it. Some, like the Japanese, did it on a scale not seen since the likes of Genghis Khan.

Reactions: DMG
There's a big difference between fudging a few rules and storing humans in a hole to eat later.
I read Flyboys and I recommend it to you all. Its good, but its so real I had to take a couple breaks becaus I got tired of reading about rape and cannibalism. People now days have no idea what racism is. The Japanese were so racist they considered all other people just animals. The author talks to a guy that was at trials and the Japanese had done things so bad they weren't illegal. Meaning no one thought anyone would be evil enough to do them so there wasn't a law against it.
They kept people in holes in Bangalore I think where they would come and take a piece of meat when they got hungry but leave them there alive so the rest of the person wouldn't spoil. They wouldn't kil someone in the hole until the only thing left to eat was their guts.
They kept Chinese girls between 12-16 yo with them to rape. Quartermasters listed them as "comfort supplies".

What the hell is wrong with people

I couldn't even listen to all of it

There has to be a special hell for these types, whatever country they are from

What the hell is wrong with people

I couldn't even listen to all of it

There has to be a special hell for these types, whatever country they are from

war does crazy things to people, just takes one person to start and then it becomes normalized.

war does crazy things to people, just takes one person to start and then it becomes normalized.

Ordinary Men is an interesting book on the subject. These guys were a normal city police unit before WWII broke out and turned into one of the groups tasked with rounding up jews to put on trains, executing people, etc in their city.

Ordinary Men is an interesting book on the subject. These guys were a normal city police unit before WWII broke out and turned into one of the groups tasked with rounding up jews to put on trains, executing people, etc in their city.

i listen to a lot of jocko podcasts and he covers a lot of heavy dark subjects/books of war. its crazy what 'normal' people will do in the 'wrong' enviroment. hes covered that book.

Last edited:
It is really difficult to understand.

- Allied troops surrender to the Japanese without a fight in Singapore and the Japanese treat the POWs like animals because "they have no honor".

- Lone WWI US destroyer engages a large Japanese force in 1942 and is blown to pieces. Japanese treat survivors worse than animals.

For all their bullshit about honor, WWII Japanese knew nothing about honor.

Last edited:
My grandfather was a North China Marine, captured at the onset of WWII as an embassy guard in Peking. He spent the entirety of the war in Japanese captivity and didn't speak about it to us grandkids. The oldest of us was 9 when he passed, so not surprising. I have corresponded with some men he commanded following his interment and they have said he had demons from his captivity and the way he was treated.

in-the-Pacific-Japanese-Admiral-Sentenced-to-Death.jpg

My grandfather reading a Japanese admiral his death sentence for Wake Island atrocities.

i listen to a lot of jocko podcasts and he covers a lot of heavy dark subjects/books of war. its crazy what 'normal' people will do in the 'wrong' enviroment. hes covered that book.

Jocko Podcast 193 cover Unit 731. That one is heavy as hell too and pretty crazy what they did to people.

If you aren’t into reading, watch Unbroken. Incredibly brutal treatment of one man. It could be a montage, but the way it is presented, and that it is a true story, i doubt it.

My dad had a cousin who worked in foreign countries his whole life. When the Japanese invaded Hong Kong, he was taken prisoner. He had a reputation for organizing the prisoners and just causing incredibly annoying to the Japanese. Eventually, he was dropped off on an island off the coast of Africa, and a notification was sent to the swedish embassy to retrieve him.

Last edited:
To say that everyone is guilty of war crimes is correct. As correct as saying that someone who killed his daughter's molester is just as guilty of a crime as a serial killer. The moral equivalency shit is BS. We don't have to hide our crimes to point out that others have committed far worse atrocities. I think us interring Americans of Japanese heritage was abhorrent, but it doesn't compare to German concentration camps for Jews and other "undesirables". We have not always been our best selves (see-slavery), but we have mostly admitted to our past crimes and attempted to atone for them. To say the Germans and the Japanese were just like us is plain wrong.

My friend for the past 50 years, his grandfather was a POW in the Batan Death March and survived. He went on to retire from the military. When he retired he opened a flower store. He wrote a book. Anyhow, super humble man. But man did he hate the Japanese.

My grandfather was a North China Marine, captured at the onset of WWII as an embassy guard in Peking. He spent the entirety of the war in Japanese captivity and didn't speak about it to us grandkids. The oldest of us was 9 when he passed, so not surprising. I have corresponded with some men he commanded following his interment and they have said he had demons from his captivity and the way he was treated.

in-the-Pacific-Japanese-Admiral-Sentenced-to-Death.jpg

My grandfather reading a Japanese admiral his death sentence for Wake Island atrocities.
My dad was also a China Marine , Jan 39-Nov 41. He was a embassy gaurd. I have his photo albums and two issues of The Peiping Marine. What the Chinese and Japs did to the locals was inhumane. Dad never talked about what he seen over there but the photos are rough to look at.

My dad was also a China Marine , Jan 39-Nov 41. He was a embassy gaurd. I have his photo albums and two issues of The Peiping Marine. What the Chinese and Japs did to the locals was inhumane. Dad never talked about what he seen over there but the photos are rough to look at.
I don't know the date my grandfather transferred to the Peking embassy, but he graduated Annapolis in '38 and was minted a 1st LT in Peking in '39, so somewhere in there. They must have served together in Peking. He and the remaining guards were mobilizing to get out in December '41 when they were captured by a Japanese regiment.

Top Back Refresh