What's new

IWB Holsters

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Are they sort of all the same? Currently using an AlienGear holster for my XD9. Its...ok. Gets a little uncomfortable after all day sitting at a desk. Recently got a ConcealmentExpress OWB holster and I like it. Their IWB (hybrid) looks almost like the same setup that I already have though. I'm guessing its just the nature of CC? I need to full conceal, tucked in shirt with khakis sitting at a desk for ~7h a day.

There really any other options? The XD9 I think is too large for a pocket holster and the like.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Kinda like beer...
different tastes ect.
Last one Was a black arch have an alien, and a few others like everyone else.

Kinda like beer...
different tastes ect.
Last one Was a black arch have an alien, and a few others like everyone else.

So they're pretty much based off the same idea then. Kind of what I figured.

I like the Comptac Minotaur, comfortable enough for all day, you'll know it's there, but not be uncomfortable and/or resent it being there, IMO.

Try a different holster. I personally don't like the AlienGear holster I have for my LC9S. I went to an all leather one and am much happier. I use kydex ones for my SR9 and my 1911, I have been very happy with those. I feel like the neoprene of the AlienGear sticks to my body and does not allow any movement and that's what makes it uncomfortable,

I use kydex taco holsters for everything from a g43 to a fullsize 1911. I have a couple of different hybrids and dont like em. I can wear a taco on the side, back even appendix. I make em real tight to the gun without alot of extra material and have several mounting holes so I can adjust the depth of carry and the cant.

Seems I hit redline on 1upload of pics...
only let me post 1 with some blurb I did not read.
Austin

black arch hybrid
full size 1911

IMG_20200619_112854.jpg

Last edited:
I use kydex taco holsters for everything from a g43 to a fullsize 1911. I have a couple of different hybrids and dont like em. I can wear a taco on the side, back even appendix. I make em real tight to the gun without alot of extra material and have several mounting holes so I can adjust the depth of carry and the cant.

Forgive me as I'm a little hazy on the terms, but a hybrid is referring to the wider setup? And taco is the narrower one that covers the same area as the firearm? I think I have that correct.

So the taco one you find more comfortable, huh? That's the thing, the wide AlienGear one seems to take up a lot of room. I'll have to give the smaller holsters (taco) a try then.

I bought the Alien Gear ShapeShift after trying a couple of minimalistic IWB holsters. I just started trying the IWB after years of OWB carry. I like it because of the neoprene backing but mostly for the adjustability. I've found through the years that any holster, IWB or OWB, can be a complete pain in the side or very comfortable and offer maximum concealment depending on the ride height and cant. I'm sure that perfect combo is different for everyone but when you get it right it just works.

The split leather backer keeps the sweat down, and the kydex snaps the pistol in tight.
fully adj. Is a plus.
you will end up getting several till ya hit on a good one.
I sent the a.g. stuff right back.
round 3 landed on black arch
both the 11 and glock wear very well with these guys.

Yea I went though a few till I got a Crossbreed MiniTucK. Tried them because they are made a few hours from me, kept it because it's by far the the most comfy one I've worn. They need a referral system because I've got 5-6 buddies that have them now.
D87D5B14-BAC5-430F-B56B-53FAA9DA1A9B.jpeg

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8308__57958.1435773533.1280.1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	44945
Forgive me as I'm a little hazy on the terms, but a hybrid is referring to the wider setup? And taco is the narrower one that covers the same area as the firearm? I think I have that correct.

So the taco one you find more comfortable, huh? That's the thing, the wide AlienGear one seems to take up a lot of room. I'll have to give the smaller holsters (taco) a try then.

Austins above is a perfect example of a hybrid. They are comfy in certain positions but take up a lot real estate

The one I put in is a taco style holster. I make mine smooth with no sharp edges or corners. Mine also has a retention adjustment and I can stick it anywhere along my waistline. If I want to go to the left side I just unscrew the clip and switch it to the other side of the holster. I have been using straps lately instead of the clip. Just for better security. Its screwed to the holster like the clip and goes around your belt and snaps.

Last edited:
filedata/fetch?id=44945&d=1592598427

Austins above is a perfect example of a hybrid. They are comfy in certain positions but take up a lot real estate

The one I put in is a taco style holster. I make mine smooth with no sharp edges or corners. Mine also has a retention adjustment and I can stick it anywhere along my waistline. If I want to go to the left side I just unscrew the clip and switch it to the other side of the holster. I have been using straps lately instead of the clip. Just for better security. Its screwed to the holster like the clip and goes around your belt and snaps.

I do like the idea of the holster that doesn't take up as much room. So, you make them? I'd buy from someone here if that was a thing. I imagine that's a no go without having the firearm to mold to.

Yea I went though a few till I got a Crossbreed MiniTucK. Tried them because they are made a few hours from me, kept it because it's by far the the most comfy one I've worn. They need a referral system because I've got 5-6 buddies that have them now.

You may have one more. Looking at the Reckoning holster right now.

Ive carried a 1911 in a Milt Sparks IWB, believe its the Nexus model, for about 7 years or so. Hides it pretty well, and Im a skinny fucker, and is extremely comfortable. There's plenty of times I have to grab it to make sure its still there because it's that comfortable I cant really tell it's there.

I’ve had a few holsters over the years and by far the most comfortable ones I have found for conceal carry for 10+ hours a day (including working in an office, driving, hanging out on the trail, etc.) are the Legacy Firearms Hyperion (I carry a Sig P938 Legion in mine) https://legacyfirearmsco.com/flexibl...dix-carry-rig/ and the White Hat Holster Micro Tuck (I carry a SA XDs .45 in mine) https://www.whitehatholsters.com/mic...nature-series/

If I am carrying a full size firearm I open carry.

I've got a couple of GCode holsters, IWB Appendix, that I really like; can be used for multiple areas of carry, doesn't have to be appendix. Single clip, so easily hidden, even with a shirt tucked in. Another small company can make similar custom holsters, Eclipse Holsters, in Williamsburg, VA. Eclipse started in their garage, so Ive gone to them a lot lately. Both holsters are full kydex, GCode has a coating, similar to moleskin on their kydex, that helps with sweat and adds a bit of comfort.

I do like the idea of the holster that doesn't take up as much room. So, you make them? I'd buy from someone here if that was a thing. I imagine that's a no go without having the firearm to mold to.

It is a pretty popular design, as long as you don't have some obscure gun I'm sure someone makes one already. I just picked up a very similar holster from Concealment Express for my Sig 226r. I will agree with Stuck I'm going to switch to the belt straps. The clip is ok, but with my holster being new and not broken in, the retention sometimes can cause it to come off my belt when I draw. I need to mess with the adjustments some still though.

I liked my crossbreed minituck till I got a ventcore

Another Alien Gear user. Local company and they have good equipment. But my favorite holster of all is a UBG Regulator.

Another Alien Gear user. Local company and they have good equipment. But my favorite holster of all is a UBG Regulator.
I checked out most of the manufacturers listed in this thread and ended up ordering a holster from Alien Gear. I'll take a chance and support a local business.:beer:

Whatever you get, do not get a "We the People" holster. I ordered one for my 1911, and when holstering it, the safety is pushed off. I emailed customer service, they sent me the exact same holster. Third time they got it right. It's a OWB paddle holster and the nutserts are already pulling out of the Kydex. I have a Uncle Mike's generic nylon IWB clip holster that I've used for several pistols for 20 years and it's still holding up fine.

I prefer OWB paddle or IWB clip holsters because you can easily take them off and on, stuff them down beside the seat and center console next to the seat belt release, or in the desk drawer.

I have an alien gear holster for my 365xl and a 4bros kydex for my 365 macro with a light. Fwiw, the slides are the exact same length.

The alien a little bulkier because of the padding, but man is it comfy for all day driving, walking, working use. It does print the grip pretty bad when just in a tee shirt, with how tacticool it is with modularity, I'm surprised it doesn't have a way to adjust grip angle to your belt. Unless I missed something :laughing:

The 4 bros is slimmer, but sometimes you can feel it dig in a bit when sitting. It does conseal better with the claw deal to push the grip into your belly. I got the mag carrier also and wasn't impressed, it's a generic double stack, so the 365 mags are super loose. I called and asked about it, they said they're working on a 365 specific mag carrier.

Overall I'm happy with both. I may try to add a thin layer of foam or something to the 4bros and something to the alien to push the grip in.

Top Back Refresh