What's new

It's a Nissan, Not a Ford.

MSO Ash

ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Perth, Western Australia
So this is my current build. 1992 Nissan Patrol (rebadged and sold as a Ford Maverick) 4.2 diesel with manual trans. Chassis and mechanicals were solid but body was rusty beyond repair. Decided to ditch the body and fit a ute cab as the wagons and utes share the same chassis and body mounts.
20210816_151140.jpg
20210817_093633.jpg
20210818_080238.jpg
20210809_152928.jpg
20210809_152903.jpg
More pics to follow.

Check ya later junk body. Hello chassis and slightly less junk ute cab. The battery tray are of the inner fender was toast on the ute cab but luckily that was one of the rust free areas on the wagon so a bit of cut and shut of the front right corner of the car and it's solid again.

20210909_185919.jpg
20210824_110529.jpg
20210818_151053.jpg
20210831_103534.jpg
20210831_103540.jpg

Always been curious as to why thy didn't.
There's an absolutely huge difference in niceness between "designed in the early 80s to be a truck with a covered cargo area by people who had no notion of a family utility type vehicle that wasn't a station wagon" type SUVs and "designed in the late 80s for soccer moms by people who knew what a minivan was" type SUVs

Seriously, these things make early 90s XJs and 'sploders look like refined vehicles. And age has just widened the gap.

There's an absolutely huge difference in niceness between "designed in the early 80s to be a truck with a covered cargo area by people who had no notion of a family utility type vehicle that wasn't a station wagon" type SUVs and "designed in the late 80s for soccer moms by people who knew what a minivan was" type SUVs

Seriously, these things make early 90s XJs and 'sploders look like refined vehicles. And age has just widened the gap.
Not sure what your point is but this era of Patrol only has one true counterpart in terms of parity and that's the 80 series cruiser. They seemed popular enough and are still desired. Not really considered unrefined for a solid axle coil sprung 4x4.

Always been curious as to why thy didn't.
I have heard that Nissan and Toyota made a deal in the 50s or 60s that one would import sports cars and one would import trucks/suvs. I am not certain it is true but I have heard it from a few sources.

I have heard that Nissan and Toyota made a deal in the 50s or 60s that one would import sports cars and one would import trucks/suvs. I am not certain it is true but I have heard it from a few sources.
Nissan imported the Patrol in the 60's...right up to '69. Rumor was they abandoned them to focus on the Z cars.

Remember when they came with a 2.8?:laughing:

Glass axles?

These Nissans are known to take 100s of thousands of miles of fu ked up dirt roads. An xj falls apart of 2 years of wheelin.

Nice work!
Before quad cabs were the rage here,I always lusted after a 4 door minni and those utes...
Freaking LOVE the dropside box!
Thanx fer something different.

Ufff yours is cooll!! kinda wish I didnt have a high roof!!

I think I am going to ditch the TB42s for a 5.3 vortec, 37s and fit an air locker in the rear and LSD in the front from a Pathfinder.
Sorry for the hijack but first patrol I see in Irate

p5pb22781859.jpg
p5pb22781809.jpg

Ufff yours is cooll!! kinda wish I didnt have a high roof!!

I think I am going to ditch the TB42s for a 5.3 vortec, 37s and fit an air locker in the rear and LSD in the front from a Pathfinder.
Sorry for the hijack but first patrol I see in Irate
Nah that's all good. Didn't expect to see any other GQ's on here either.

Go the air locker in the front and shim up the rear LSD. The GQ LSD is hardcore and usually only needs one extra shim to be damn near like a spool.

And here I am just wanting a front H233B. :frown:

Top Back Refresh