What's new

Is Vroom a scam?

I bought a 2018 Armada from Vroom. Few thousand cheaper than local dealers but it was a formal rental. No surprises and happy with the purchase.

I just sold them my truck for dam near 8k more than I paid for it 2 years ago just waiting for the paper work and them to pick it up.

They want newer vehicles, for giggles I plugged in my 2005 F250 and it said $2500 or so, if they can find me a few at that price I will buy them right now...

Agreed on the paper money being worth less and less as the year goes on.

This is what inflation looks like ;(. I’m only afraid it’s gonna get way worse before it gets better
Agreed, but new shit isn't that much more expensive than two years ago. Why are used trucks going to new or even more than new prices?

I've been pounding the internet's looking for a new Jeep, an add just popped up at the local high price used dealer (Jay Buhner owns it) for a two year old jeep for more than the new ones I'm looking at. What the fuck?!

Agreed, but new shit isn't that much more expensive than two years ago. Why are used trucks going to new or even more than new prices?

I've been pounding the internet's looking for a new Jeep, an add just popped up at the local high price used dealer (Jay Buhner owns it) for a two year old jeep for more than the new ones I'm looking at. What the fuck?!
There really is a shortage of integrated chips so many manufacturers are having problems making enough engine computers. This shortage of new vehicles is driving the price of relatively new used cars up to fill the demand.

Was curious, Vroom offered within $1K of what I paid for my truck 30K miles ago. Problem is, I would probably spend $10k more to get into something comparable right now.

There really is a shortage of integrated chips so many manufacturers are having problems making enough engine computers. This shortage of new vehicles is driving the price of relatively new used cars up to fill the demand.
I don't agree with you much, but that was spot on

In addition, their is broad high inflation, even more so in the sector you defined succinctly

From reading people experience in a car group I'm in, Vroom makes a high offer and then reduces it when they get your vehicle based on condition not being as you described (in their professional opinion). It ends up being a big hassle and Carvana usually ends up being a better offer. However, that price spread you are showing is significant. It also seems most of the people who private party sell their vehicle are getting at more than the CArvana/Vroom offers.

Well turns out vroom was bullshit, went through the whole process, didn't hear anything from them called and they said they'd get back to me.

Wednesday I saw an ad for Shift, same deal online car buyer, called made and appointment for Thursday. Their car appraiser came out, found some tiny little chips in the paint I hadn't even noticed and backed off their $39,800 offer to $39,200 😳. But if you signed up then they gave you a $200 bonus! Signed the paperwork, filled out the online contract and bank deposit info. Dude drove my car away yesterday and today I got notified they're making payment! They have 48hrs to make a full inspection for frame damage, rust, etc, before the deal is really done. If they don't take it they return the car to you. Was a little bit Leary about this process, but seems pretty common with this kind of transaction now.

So based on my one experience with Shift id recommend them. :flipoff2:

I was selling my truck thru vroom and been waiting on the contract and stuff so since I was waiting I call the dodge dealer that I buy thru and ask if they buy used vehicles. I ask what they would give me for my truck and matched vroom so I made out with 8k more than I paid for the truck. So all in all vroom helped me get a higher selling price.

Last edited:
They want newer vehicles, for giggles I plugged in my 2005 F250 and it said $2500 or so, if they can find me a few at that price I will buy them right now...

Agreed on the paper money being worth less and less as the year goes on.
Hahaha. I thought about punching in my 05 F250 as well for the hell of it.
Was curious, Vroom offered within $1K of what I paid for my truck 30K miles ago. Problem is, I would probably spend $10k more to get into something comparable right now.
Same with houses right now. Bought mine for $300k. It’s worth $700k but would have to spend probably $900k to get something I would want.

I work for a big OEM. Currently, ECUs aren't what we're missing.
The big screens with all the functions are problematic.

Top Back Refresh