What's new

Is this motor reversible?

benw

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WA
I have this 1hp, 115vac motor. It’s currently running CCW, can anyone tell if it possible to wire this to run CW? The data plate is unreadable.

IMG_5883.jpeg
image.jpg

The nameplate shows those jumpers in one position for 120 volts and another position for 240 volts.

No help on whether it reverses or not.

From the article linked:

Note, not all AC motors have the ability to be reversed, but all of Groschopp’s AC motors can be

Since this is not a Groschkopp AC motor, the original posters question still remains.

From the article linked:

Note, not all AC motors have the ability to be reversed, but all of Groschopp’s AC motors can be

Since this is not a Groschkopp AC motor, the original posters question still remains.
dammit.

i would think the answer is no, they can t be reversed. switch power in wont do anything...

my lathe has a reverse switch on it i'll have to look into that a little later.

I don't see enough wires there. I would say no.

But the question should be, will is spin backwards if you pull the armature and swap the end caps end for end?

Can't remember the answer to that one. I think on AC motor, no.

Basically, any AC motor would happily run in either direction. The issue is getting it started in one direction or another - which comes down to reversing the starter windings. Some motors are wired for this. Others are not. If they're not, they may still be able to be reversed but it can also be near impossible to make them so depending on how they're actually put together.

More info: Reversing single phase induction motors

Top Back Refresh