What's new

Is There A Big Difference Between Rock Sea Salt and Granulated Salt?

Flavor and texture. I'll use course sea salt for compound butter, a maldon sea salt on steaks.

Kind of like all the sugars, I'm sure powdered works the same as granulated but I ain't dipping strawberries in powdered or sprinkling course in brownies.

Maldon left, course right
Resized_20210408_185529.jpeg

It's just a different harvesting process for the same salt. When dishes call for sea salt it's usually for different culinary techniques, not taste though sea salt tends to not taste as strong as regular table salt.

Sometimes it makes a difference in taste, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the dish and why the particular salt is being used. For something like a crust on a steak or a roast calling for sea salt, it's more about texture. For something like home made ice cream, it's needed due to how it makes the ice cream freeze and will affect texture.

I prefer the coarse for flavor.

You get those little bursts of salt every now and then without making the whole dish overpoweringly salty.

Same amount of salt with an occasional burst of flavor.

Once you find out how 'table salt' is processed, and all the nasty shit they do to it, you will never use 'table salt' again.
Read how 'salt' is processed and what they put back in to it to make it 'taste like salt'. It's about as toxic as meth!

Once you find out how 'table salt' is processed, and all the nasty shit they do to it, you will never use 'table salt' again.
Read how 'salt' is processed and what they put back in to it to make it 'taste like salt'. It's about as toxic as meth!
Wow; even the kosher salt?!! :eek:

Top Back Refresh