What's new

Is the Vortex crossfire line junk?

the conservative atheist

😷😷😷ㅤ=ㅤ🐑🐑🐑
Member Number
Want a cheap scope for my bolt action .223. Casual target shooting out to 300 yards. Was looking at the crossfire line. Reviews seem mixed. Not sure if it's worth spending $300+ on a $500 gun with no bull barrel. 6-18X worth the extra $30 or just stick with 4-12X?

ive moved away from all the vortex, except for one of the 1-8 strike eagles, and i got that on a gun i bought, i didnt seek it out.

as far as spending the $300 on glass, i wouldnt have a problem with it. i like Meopta over Vortex. lots of price points in that line to choose from and i think the Optika5 is a good value. but its going to be in the mid $300s, depending on the mag range

The phrase "cheap scope" is an oxymoron. A cheap scope is just a future disappointment. Buy enough "scope" to make yourself confident that you didn't waste your money. That being said I have a few Vortex red dots that I am very happy with (good quality) but no magnifying optics as such. I would probably trust Vortex to be decent enough but, maybe, not great. Vortex has great customer service and that goes a long way for me, though. However, the last scope I purchased was a fixed 4x ACOG (LED, not Tritium) for a rifle that I have substantially less invested in (I finally decided that I had enough shitty scopes accumulated in a basket in the corner).

I personally avoid Vortex, I know people like their Razor line but the rest isn’t highly regarded. I’ve been on the fence several times but never been able to pull the trigger.

I have had good luck with Leupold’s “budget“ scopes. I have several VX-1’s, it looks like their 1’s and 2’s were combined into their newer “Freedom” line which I haven’t used but is well regarded.

More magnification in a junk scope typically makes it less useful, nor more.

I have a 2-7x on a .22lr, and it's been fine for that, but most of the rest of my optics have target turrets and .mil reticles. If you're only shooting 300 and in, there is no reason to have the higher magnification.

I personally avoid Vortex, I know people like their Razor line but the rest isn’t highly regarded. I’ve been on the fence several times but never been able to pull the trigger.

I have had good luck with Leupold’s “budget“ scopes. I have several VX-1’s, it looks like their 1’s and 2’s were combined into their newer “Freedom” line which I haven’t used but is well regarded.

More magnification in a junk scope typically makes it less useful, nor more.
I had a Razor on my bolt gun, and it tracks flawlessly, has really good glass (Not NF or Steiner quality, but close), and I've used it for several years, but when I rebarred the gun in 6mm GT, I went with a longer heavier barrel, and decided I needed to take some weight out of the gun, so went to a Leaupold Mark 5HD and really, really like that scope. The Razor ended up on the 6.5CM Tikka.

Attachments

• 0214211602.jpg
    0214211602.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
It's a big jump from a crossfire to the Razor.

I have several of the midrange Vortex Viper PST scopes. I have had to send one back to Vortex for repair. It was on my father's 7MM Sako finbear and wouldn't hold zero. Replaced it with a Leopold VX3 4-12 and he hasn't had any problems since. Put the Vortex on one of my hunting rifles not sure how much I trust it, but it is still holding zero after a few years and not many rounds.
Vortex's warranty was good and they actually fixed the scope, instead of sending out a new one.

Pretty sure you don't get the same warranty on the crossfire line.

I have moved away form Vortex over the last few years they used to be a good value, now if I am spending the same money I would rather get a Leupold.

Check out the used - demo section at eurooptic. You can find deals there on ocasion.

just an FYI on where Vortex scopes are made: China, Phillipines, Japan.

Vortex Copperhead scopes – The Copperhead series is Vortex’s absolute entry level series of scopes and is really targets to those who are buying on a very restrictive budget. The Copperhead series is manufactured in China.

Vortex Crossfire and Crossfire II scopes – The first generation of the Crossfire scope models had some issues and were ultimately discontinued. They were replaced with the Crossfire II series, which is Vortex’s most popular entry level line. Both the Crossfire and Crossfire II scopes are manufactured in China.

Vortex Strike Eagle scopes – The Strike Eagle line is focused on the lower magnification ranges and is really built for and marketed as a short-range AR scope. The Strike Eagle was briefly offered in higher magnification ranges like a 4-20, but those models were phased out. The Strike Eagle series is also manufactured in China.

Vortex Diamondback scopes – The Diamondback is the next set up above the Crossfire II series and features better quality glass and more features. Like the Crossfire II models, all the Diamondback scopes are built on a 1” tube. The Diamondback scopes are produced in China.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical scopes – The Diamondback Tactical series is really targeted more towards the long-range shooting and tactical shooting crowd as most are FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes. Like the standard Diamondback series, the Diamondback Tactical scopes are manufactured in the China.

Vortex Viper scopes – A step up in quality over the Vortex Diamondback series, the Vortex Viper series of rifle scopes was originally built on a 1-inch tube with a 3X erector. While these models were a popular seller for Vortex, around 2011, Vortex decided to phase out the 1-inch versions of the Viper and introduce 30mm versions built with a 4X erector. Vortex has further reduced the number of Viper models, and, currently, there is only one 30mm version of the Viper. The Viper series of rifle scopes are manufactured in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper HS scopes – The Viper HS series is designed more for hunters who need a mid-range powered scope with easy to use field reticles. Built on a 30mm tube with capped turrets, the Viper HS scope models feature slightly better glass than the original Viper series. Like the Viper series, the Viper HS models are also built in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper HS LR – The Viper HS LR series is built for shooters who may be hunting and shooting long range. The Viper HS models are built in a 30mm tube and feature exposed turrets. The HS LR series offers models in SFP and FFP configurations. The Viper HS models are built in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper HST – The Viper HST series (with the HST standing for Hunting Shooting Tactical) is designed a multi-purpose scope for long range shooting, hunting, or tactical based shooting. The HST series are built on a 30mm tube with exposed turrets. These models are currently, only available in SFP configurations, and are produced in the Philippines.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scopes – The Viper PST series of scopes feature better optics than the Vortex Viper series and look to be targeting tactical shooting and precision shooting applications. Currently Vortex is on the 2nd generation of the PST series which includes customer-based upgrades over the PST Gen 1 versions. The PST models are all built on a 30mm tube and come equipped with exposed turrets. The PST series offers a mix of FFP and SFP models with ranging and hold-over reticles. The Viper PST Gen 2 models are manufactured in the Philippines.

Vortex Golden Eagle HD scope – The Golden Eagle HD is specifically designed for long range bench rest and F class shooting and is a step up in glass quality over the Viper HST and PST series. Built on a 30mm tube, the Golden Eagle features an impressive power range of 15X-60X with a 52mm objective. The Golden Eagle HD series is manufactured in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD LH – The Razor series of scopes is currently Vortex’s flagship series of rifle scopes. The Razor HD LH model is only available in a 3-15X42 configuration and is designed to target hunters who want a top tier hunting scope without all the bells and whistles found on larger 30mm scope models. Like the Golden Eagle HD scope series, the Vortex Razor HD LH model is manufactured in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD – The Razor HD series is built exclusively for long range shooting. It’s an FFP scope built on a large 35mm tube and features a 5-20X50 power range. The Vortex HD is only available in an FFP configuration and is also manufactured in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD Gen II – The HD Gen II series is a second generation of the HD series that features slightly better optical quality, along with some requested upgrades. The Gen II series is built for long range shooting on the AR platform, and features a 34mm main tube. The Razor HD Gen II is currently only available in two versions and both are FFP models. Like most of the Razor models, the Razor HD Gen II models are built in Japan.

Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E – The Razor HD Gen II-E (with the “E” standing for Enhanced) is designed as a top of the line short to medium range tactical scope for the AR platform. This model is currently only available in a 1-6X24. This Gen II-E series is built in Japan as well.

Vortex Razor HD AMG – Currently the Vortex Razor HD AMG is the top tier of the Vortex scope offerings. It’s an FFP scope built on a 30mm tube in a 6-24X50 configuration. The HD AMG is designed to offer the best long-range shooting, hunting, and tactical scope option in the Vortex line. Unlike the rest of the Razor scope series, the HD AMG models are manufactured in the U.S. Supposedly, the lenses are built in Japan, and then the scope is assembled by Vortex in the US.

If you get below the pst expect to warranty it at least once. Maybe more.

I was rocking a mk5hd 5-25 on a $700 bergara. The rifle it moved to is a semi-custom remage, and I'm still only half the cost of the scope after chassis/barrel/trigger/receiver.

I rock $700+ scopes on my .22's.

The only "cheap" scope I have is a mil-dot 4-12x44 sightron that I won't quit using until it breaks. $250 in 99 on a rifle that cost $175 in 1979. Replaced an old Bushnell that was too cloudy to see anymore.
Sentimental value and all, I can't bring myself to change it up, I just keep rebarrelling this one.

There is no such thing as too much scope.:flipoff2:

If I'm getting a "budget" score its going to be a SWFA. Next step up from there, to me anyway, is Meopta or Minox. Other than that its top of the line i.e Trijicon, NF, Leopold.

If I'm getting a "budget" score its going to be a SWFA. Next step up from there, to me anyway, is Meopta or Minox. Other than that its top of the line i.e Trijicon, NF, Leopold.
SWFA is only good for the 6x and 10x. I tried a 16x and sent it back after calling customer service. I told them they could send me one I can actually see through, or send money.

They sent the refund.

I've seen a few more since, all just as cloudy.

I won a 4-16 Viper VHS in a raffle at the lgs.
Great scope for the money?
I use it on my 308 AR and it’s held zero, the turrets are repeatable with my dope, glass is above average. I’d buy one of the QC was the same.
I’ve got a few Nikons that are better in the same price range. The 2-7x M300BLK subtensions duplicate for 300BLK and 458S. Fun fact.

How good is the Meopta compared to like a Vortex Viper PST? They pretty much cost the same.

for $300 SWFA 6x or 10x, crossfire glass is pretty bad IMO. Leupold VX if you don't need dials is decent enough glass but the adjustments suck.

Bunch of glass snobs. :flipoff2:

I've got a Crossfire 4-12x50 AO on a 597 Magnum, it's a great plinker/critter dispatcher combo. I've got Nikons and Leupods that are better, but the Crossfire is far from junk. Pretty good for what you're paying.

The discontinued Diamondback HP line was my favorite. Superior to the Crossfire and just enough better than the regular Diamondback to make it worth while; larger objective, better glass, and side focus, at a very reasonable price. I guess they've replaced the HP with Tactical, apparently everything needs exposed turrets now days.

I've got an old Diamondback HP 4-16x42 and a 2-8x32, I wish I knew they were being discontinued so I could have snagged a few more.

I've got a saved eBay search with notifications for Diamondback HPs, apparently I'm not the only one that misses them, damn things are bringing better than new prices.

nikon seemed to be the best cheap option when I was last looking.

It's held up fine.
the 3-9 with a .223 BDC reticle is just a touch over $300.

nikon seemed to be the best cheap option when I was last looking.

It's held up fine.
the 3-9 with a .223 BDC reticle is just a touch over $300.
I too like my Nikons, I've got a mid '00s Prostaff that's one of my favorites. Sadly they stopped making rifle scopes in late '19.

Bunch of glass snobs. :flipoff2:

I've got a Crossfire 4-12x50 AO on a 597 Magnum, it's a great plinker/critter dispatcher combo. I've got Nikons and Leupods that are better, but the Crossfire is far from junk. Pretty good for what you're paying.

The discontinued Diamondback HP line was my favorite. Superior to the Crossfire and just enough better than the regular Diamondback to make it worth while; larger objective, better glass, and side focus, at a very reasonable price. I guess they've replaced the HP with Tactical, apparently everything needs exposed turrets now days.

I've got an old Diamondback HP 4-16x42 and a 2-8x32, I wish I knew they were being discontinued so I could have snagged a few more.

I've got a saved eBay search with notifications for Diamondback HPs, apparently I'm not the only one that misses them, damn things are bringing better than new prices.

God damn right I'm a snob :flipoff2:

Went to a match this weekend. I won overall with a simple tango 4, 4-16 with a dev-l mil reticle. Not an expensive scope, but good enough to be accurate.

Want to guess what the guys that had glass failure were running? :laughing:

Both were in base class, running diamondback tactical. One had the turret skip, he'd dial, dial, dial, and get sporadic movement. Other one dialed 4 mil for a stage, dialed to zero on the next stage and hit 4 mil high because the erector was stuck. :lmao: These were not recoil kills, we were shooting rimfire PRS.

I had a crossfire for a few weeks. The reticle broke and fell apart. Sold the new one in the box when it got back.
Had a viper, elevation turret died. Sent it in, wouldn't zero when I got it back. Elevation worked, but they had broken the windage. Back again, new scope from warranty, sold it without opening the box.

There are better scopes in the price range with the same warranty. Vortex just makes sure to charge you for the 3 scopes you'll need before you get pissed and quit warranting them.

There are plenty of good budget scopes. Burris makes some good stuff, meopta, some of the vortex, leupold has some options. Athlon has some ok stuff and I know they will honor warranties

I buy what is biggest on sale. Optics seem to be like clothes - tons of markup and when they go closeout it can be 40%+ off. Right now you wont find much - its the start of hunting season. But watch eurooptic, swfa, midway and others (not opticsplanet) for clearance and sales. For vortex AA Optics sells refurb in masses - when they come in stock they disappear quickly

Due to this thread I got the Meopta Optika 6. 5x30 56 objective and 34 tube. Found it on sale optics planet for $847. Not the greatest in reticle selections but overall am very happy. Holy shit is the glass clear! all the way to full zoom. Had to buy the sunshade seperate. $34.

This went on a Begera B14 Wilderness HMR in 300PRC. quick range trip and got a sub MOA zero at 200 yards off an Atlas bipod.

Due to this thread I got the Meopta Optika 6. 5x30 56 objective and 34 tube. Found it on sale optics planet for $847. Not the greatest in reticle selections but overall am very happy. Holy shit is the glass clear! all the way to full zoom. Had to buy the sunshade seperate. $34.

This went on a Begera B14 Wilderness HMR in 300PRC. quick range trip and got a sub MOA zero at 200 yards off an Atlas bipod.

Oh, you mean like an optic should be :flipoff2:

Those meoptas are great for the money. They do suffer from reticle ADHD.

Oh, you mean like an optic should be :flipoff2:

Those meoptas are great for the money. They do suffer from reticle ADHD.
I know right!!! :laughing:. I had read that they made some glass for Zeisse. That was one of the things that sealed the deal for me.

And no shit, only downside that I see. Best reticle was a nice tree, but in MRAD. Fuck that noise :laughing:

I put a Crossfire II on to replace the no-name glass that came with a Remington. It has held up fine even after being dropped on the side of the mountain. It did have a slightly blue hue to to the glass compared to the Leupold that replaced it only because a buddy made me a killer deal.

I know right!!! :laughing:. I had read that they made some glass for Zeisse. That was one of the things that sealed the deal for me.

And no shit, only downside that I see. Best reticle was a nice tree, but in MRAD. Fuck that noise :laughing:
Yeah, cause it's hard to accept that a MRAD is 1/1000's of any distance. 1000yds 1 MRAD is 1 yard. 1000 meters, 1 MRAD is one Meter.

Keep measuring your distances in barleycorns. :laughing:

Yeah, cause it's hard to accept that a MRAD is 1/1000's of any distance. 1000yds 1 MRAD is 1 yard. 1000 meters, 1 MRAD is one Meter.

Keep measuring your distances in barleycorns. :laughing:

<<< Old dog, ain't got time for new tricks :laughing:

honestlly i'm super happy with buying used :homer:

for the price of a "cheap" glass new you can get that "better" glass used. hell i got a free rifle with the last leupold that I bought :laughing:

That's because all the tactical guys ditched moa over the last 15 years. Even Leupold took nearly a year after the mark 5 release to bother with an moa model.

Here's the key to it all. You measure with the ruler you're looking through. :eek:
Miss 2 mills low? Bring it up 2 or dual the turret 2.

A $15 app like strelok pro, get your info in, get it trued to your ammo, and it'll spit out perfect dope.
Quit thinking in inches, just think "I need 28 mills of elevation to hit at 500", instead of 96 moa, with 4 clicks per.
So you dial 280 clicks instead of 384.
(Yes, that is my dope for 500 with the .22lr and sk lrm.)

MRAD vs MOA seems to be the Keymod vs MLOK. The people arguing the most will never really needs the top abilities of either. A ballistic chart will give you both, just make sure you write down the same one as your scope uses.

Took a couple guns with crossfires out to sight in. These were cheap refurbs, but should be "as good as new". Optics were good and once it got dialed it was consistent but the tracking was terrible. - Click right 1.5". Shot moves 1 inch. Ok, click half of what I just did. Shot is now the other way by an inch. Dial back 2 clicks. Now its on. This was with 3 different scopes we were using. They all seem to be sighted, I think the caps are just going to stay on these and kentucky any holdovers

I got good advice from 300Sniper years ago that most all the conversations at a match are in mils. One is not more accurate than the other, but using mils is faster IMO.

Top Back Refresh