What's new

Is my press gonna blow up?

subybaja

E. Spengler
Member Number
Loc
Spenard Ak
I have a shop press just like this one, with a leaky manual 20t cylinder.

E9605A_jpg.jpg

I picked up a 32T air cylinder just like this one for $120:

71R1ARKFfVL._AC_SL1500__jpg_75.jpg

Because I can't leave anything alone, I decided a pressure gauge would be snazzy. 3" piston / 32t = 10300psi:

71np6Sua0oL._AC_SL1500__jpg_75.jpg

I stripped it down, milled the bottom flat (it was both not flat and not square to the bore), drilled in sideways and down, and tapped to 1/8" NPT to leave as much meat as possible.

20221108_230153.jpg

And then went down the block to Lowes and HD for my usual 10-minutes-before-closing search for a stainless steel left-hand-thread metric bolt. Well, this time for a 1/4" to 1/8" street elbow. Nope, we don't carry that- would you like to string together 13 adapters and nipples for $75?

Not really, so Amazon it is.

"Parker Stainless Steel 316 Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Street Elbow, 1/8" NPT Male X 1/4" NPT Female "​

71fpJYluclL._SL1489__jpg.jpg

"This fitting is a Parker-Hannafin forged 316 stainless stainless-steel fitting; If you cross-reference the part number "2-4 SE-SS" in Parker's catalog, you will see that the part is rated for 6000PSI"

Wait....6000? Good thing the brass junk wasn't available!

Now, I'm probably not going to max it doing ujoints, but there may be some small coin die pressing in it's future...that's part of why I wanted a gauge, for repeatability.

I think I'll throw it together and see what happens. Worst case I can jam a pipe plug in it later.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
I'm gonna say zero chance you get a catastrophic failure. I bet you bend pins, bend the table and bend the top beam before anything interesting happens. Or at least that's what happens when you throw a 20-ton jack on a HF 12T press. :laughing:

I'm gonna say zero chance you get a catastrophic failure. I bet you bend pins, bend the table and bend the top beam before anything interesting happens. Or at least that's what happens when you throw a 20-ton jack on a HF 12T press. :laughing:
^ This.
You will absolutely bend the top beam first; I accomplished that with the HF jack that came on my HF 20T press that I had a few years back. That 6ksi fitting, is that working pressure or max? Thats odd to see a Stainless fitting with that low of pressure rating. I have a 10ksi setup on Torin 50T using enerpac style hoses and quick connects. I source my stuff from a friend (Blake) at Discounthydraulichose.com - they're in Philly Pa.

the press that I have, you can see it flex there at the end

you will be fine

wear eye protection :grinpimp:

I have a shop press just like this one, with a leaky manual 20t cylinder.

E9605A_jpg.jpg

I picked up a 32T air cylinder just like this one for $120:

71R1ARKFfVL._AC_SL1500__jpg_75.jpg

Because I can't leave anything alone, I decided a pressure gauge would be snazzy. 3" piston / 32t = 10300psi:

71np6Sua0oL._AC_SL1500__jpg_75.jpg

I stripped it down, milled the bottom flat (it was both not flat and not square to the bore), drilled in sideways and down, and tapped to 1/8" NPT to leave as much meat as possible.

20221108_230153.jpg

And then went down the block to Lowes and HD for my usual 10-minutes-before-closing search for a stainless steel left-hand-thread metric bolt. Well, this time for a 1/4" to 1/8" street elbow. Nope, we don't carry that- would you like to string together 13 adapters and nipples for $75?

Not really, so Amazon it is.

"Parker Stainless Steel 316 Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Street Elbow, 1/8" NPT Male X 1/4" NPT Female "​

View attachment 604476
"This fitting is a Parker-Hannafin forged 316 stainless stainless-steel fitting; If you cross-reference the part number "2-4 SE-SS" in Parker's catalog, you will see that the part is rated for 6000PSI"

Wait....6000? Good thing the brass junk wasn't available!

Now, I'm probably not going to max it doing ujoints, but there may be some small coin die pressing in it's future...that's part of why I wanted a gauge, for repeatability.

I think I'll throw it together and see what happens. Worst case I can jam a pipe plug in it later.

What do you all think?
I would try to get a 10k rated fitting, 10k psi on a 6k psi fitting is getting into sketchy territory...

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh