Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

Is my 300xc lazy?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Instead of derailing the other thread, I'll continue here.

Start a thread, map switch? PV spring color? Main jet? pilot jet? pipe/silencer?

I haven't messed with it since last summer. I had an issue where it had like NO top end at all, replaced silencer and it seemed to fix it. But still not as much top end as I'd expect.

I think I posted the spring color here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Map switch? On an 07?

Its got an FMF knarly pipe, which is known for being a low end pipe.

I'm clueless on carb tuning also :laughing:

The gnarly pipe would influence that. I've only ever run Fatty's personally.

The power valve tuning can make a YUGE difference in the overall feeling of the bike on the top end though. Interested to see what you come up with on that.

If you're clueless on carb tuning I'm assuming you don't know your jet sizes and needle position off the top of your head, but that information is easy enough to get, so get to it:flipoff2: and if you get that for us be sure to post your elevation too.

Any reason to suspect tuning? Hesitation, bog, spooge? Tuning issues are realtively easy to track because most anyone can tell when a bike just plain runs like garbage.

The gnarly pipe would influence that. I've only ever run Fatty's personally.

I thought about trying a different pipe, they're easy enough to switch, I could put the knarly back on if I know I'll be doing just single track.

The power valve tuning can make a YUGE difference in the overall feeling of the bike on the top end though. Interested to see what you come up with on that.

Ya, that was brought up a lot the last go around. I've thought about messing with it.

If you're clueless on carb tuning I'm assuming you don't know your jet sizes and needle position off the top of your head, but that information is easy enough to get, so get to it:flipoff2: and if you get that for us be sure to post your elevation too.

My house is at like 1800' and I'll ride up around 3-4k with up to 6k+ being in the plan, but probably rare.

Any reason to suspect tuning? Hesitation, bog, spooge? Tuning issues are realtively easy to track because most anyone can tell when a bike just plain runs like garbage.

Just seems like it should be faster. Pulls good low and mid but doesn't feel like I thought a 300 2 stroke would. Seems to run out of top end early.

Does have some spooge, even on my new pipe. Running 50:1 iirc.

I also just fired it up for the first time Sunday, since labor day.

I run a Gnarly on my YZ, it falls off pretty quick in the high RPM range. As said previously if the PV isn’t working it’s not opening the extra exhaust ports which will have a big influence on high RPM.

Instead of derailing the other thread, I'll continue here.

I haven't messed with it since last summer. I had an issue where it had like NO top end at all, replaced silencer and it seemed to fix it. But still not as much top end as I'd expect.

I think I posted the spring color here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Map switch? On an 07?

Its got an FMF knarly pipe, which is known for being a low end pipe.

I'm clueless on carb tuning also :laughing:
Not sure on Map switch, I was rattling off stuff to investigate.

PV spring will effect how it comes on but shouldn't matter much to "Tapped out".

Gnarly is a problem, NOT a top end pipe. OEM pipe is pretty damn good IMO.
My gnarly pipe on my WR250z was low end only, no over rev at all. I have not tested it myself on the ktm.

I thought about trying a different pipe, they're easy enough to switch, I could put the knarly back on if I know I'll be doing just single track.

Ya, that was brought up a lot the last go around. I've thought about messing with it.

My house is at like 1800' and I'll ride up around 3-4k with up to 6k+ being in the plan, but probably rare.

Just seems like it should be faster. Pulls good low and mid but doesn't feel like I thought a 300 2 stroke would. Seems to run out of top end early.

Does have some spooge, even on my new pipe. Running 50:1 iirc.

I also just fired it up for the first time Sunday, since labor day.
I wouldn't bother with a dedicated single track pipe, a properly running/tuned 300 should have plenty enough low end to be rideable.
The only thing I want to try is a flywheel weight. I had one on my WR and it kicked ass, helped tame the hit and made power more tractable IMO.
Big ass trials/hybrid rear tire with Tubliss at 5 psi and send it.

I

PV spring will effect how it comes on but shouldn't matter much to "Tapped out".
I've kind of always thought it would be that way too but my actual experience said otherwise.
Buddy's Beta 300 when set in the full "low-end" mode was an absolute tractor. Seemed like it made so much torque it could grunt the tire loose off the pipe, felt very weird, and then if you tried to ring it out it just absolutely wouldn't light. Weirdest feeling ever, but he said it was all in the PV tuning.

Kinda sucks that a pipe is so spendy, would be nicer if I could try all the different types and styles and have a definite answer for that.

Only bike I've ever ridden with a Gnarly was my KX500. It made the bike sound retarded and it wasn't the horsepower monster everyone said it would be. Felt like it could plow a field though, jesus was it torquey.

I have a stock '08 pipe he can try, shipping might be $$

I've kind of always thought it would be that way too but my actual experience said otherwise.
Buddy's Beta 300 when set in the full "low-end" mode was an absolute tractor. Seemed like it made so much torque it could grunt the tire loose off the pipe, felt very weird, and then if you tried to ring it out it just absolutely wouldn't light. Weirdest feeling ever, but he said it was all in the PV tuning.

Kinda sucks that a pipe is so spendy, would be nicer if I could try all the different types and styles and have a definite answer for that.

Only bike I've ever ridden with a Gnarly was my KX500. It made the bike sound retarded and it wasn't the horsepower monster everyone said it would be. Felt like it could plow a field though, jesus was it torquey.
It makes it different for sure but I have not found it limiting. I run the green spring (stiffest) and the screw flush to the case. Makes it only open the PV in the upper revs but makes the HIT brutal.
It can be HARDER to ride like this, I use the map switch to try and tame it when it's at the end of the day and I am whooped struggling with a obstacle.

There used to be brand SRP or something that sold reproduction pipes, I can't find them now?

Hard to say, technically 07-08 spans a generational gap with the e-start, But i'd say just the cost of shipping for testing purposes isn't terrible.

Anything fits if he's a good enough welder :flipoff2:

Do you know what jets are in it?

No idea. It fired on the 3rd or 4th kick after sitting all winter and has been starting on 1st or 2nd kick when cold. So I'm afraid to mess with it, but I'm an idiot when it comes to carbs. So maybe that has nothing to do with it? :laughing:

So I ended up fouling a plug on the last ride after dumping it like 20 times :laughing:

With a new plug, it really seemed to rip. Mash it in 3rd and I would pull the tire a bit on pavement. :smokin:

I think most of what I'm noticing is just the low end nature of the 300 with the knarly pipe.

This thread wouldn't exist if you went with the 4 stroke.

:flipoff2:

What's the 350 weigh compared to the 500?

I went to move my father in laws ~2015 500 and it felt twice as heavy as mine. :laughing:

Makes a big difference when you're practically lifting and dragging it over downed trees because you're too stubborn to wait until the usfs clears the trails.

The 350 EXC-F weights 236lbs wet. And thats including all the street legal stuff added to it vs the dirt only 300 XC.

The 500 EXC-F weights 464lbs wet. (Thing is a fat bitch!)

The 300 XC weights 241lbs wet......

No way those specs are accurate :laughing:

Edit: I don't know where you found wet weights, but (not sure what year yours was)

15-500 exc 245.8 lbs
07-300 xc 226.2 lbs
15-350 exc 236.3 lbs

Last edited:
FI at 12000' ftw!

20220704_091619.jpg

Happy 4th!

No way those specs are accurate :laughing:

Edit: I don't know where you found wet weights, but (not sure what year yours was)

15-500 exc 245.8 lbs
07-300 xc 226.2 lbs
15-350 exc 236.3 lbs
I was looking at 21/22 models (4 stroke 350 and 500 EXC-F) and wasn't thinking about 2 smoke dinosaurs. :flipoff2:

The 350 EXC-F weights 236lbs wet. And thats including all the street legal stuff added to it vs the dirt only 300 XC.

The 500 EXC-F weights 464lbs wet. (Thing is a fat bitch!)

The 300 XC weights 241lbs wet......
My 890 weighs 464 lbs. Are you sure about that spec?

According to this link it is 240 lbs
detail.html

500 EXC's are most definitely not 464. That appears to come from some random website google is pulling that got the number wrong in translation.

My buddy's '22 500exc is lighter than my YZ450fx :laughing:

I thought about this thread last week when I was getting my brains beat out on those nasty shelf rock climbs. Due to how it worked out my son rode in a built JL Jeep on 37's most of the week so I was single on the bike. I worked on clutch control and slow speed as possible climbing in the gnar just to see what I could do.
My best was 6 mph in 1st with the mild map switch off and 8 mph with the mild switch on.
Green spring, OEM replacement pipe and FMF Q-Stealth muffler.
This bike has the Slavens "Mule" package, not stock by any means so it may not be a good comparison but it is a joy to ride.

Top Back Refresh