What's new

Is it possible?

Member Number
Loc
Sunny Sequim, WA
To make the Facebook marketplace not completely suck balls?

It is completely awful. The search is marginal at best, but when you try to filter or sort it just sucks. I get results that have nothing to do with my search.

It's infinitely more frustrating than the million keywords in Craigslist ads.

I miss Craigslist.

I've made/saved steady money on FB MP. They did mix in ads with the listings which sucks. I like how I can read up on people before I go to meet and buy from them. I buy a motorcycle, I can look through the pics to see how it was treated and how they treat their stuff. Search isn't as thorough as CL, yea. Iunno. I've had decent luck with it.

I still use CL as my second place to search.

the idea is to get you to load as many items as possible to max your views. more views = more ads = more rev.

I don't know how much of my terrible experience with it is due to the fact that I don't have an account. But for me, it's exactly this. You set your location. Defaults to a 40 mile range, and won't respond when you change it to 100 miles. Then it gives you results for at least 1000 miles, strangely. I keep expecting to find something great so I can get a friend with FB to give me contact info and try to buy something. It hasn't happened yet. But there does appear to be generally more stuff for sale there than CL. CL at least released their native app now, which makes searching much easier--the distance filter is useful.

I don't know how much of my terrible experience with it is due to the fact that I don't have an account. But for me, it's exactly this. You set your location. Defaults to a 40 mile range, and won't respond when you change it to 100 miles. Then it gives you results for at least 1000 miles, strangely. I keep expecting to find something great so I can get a friend with FB to give me contact info and try to buy something. It hasn't happened yet. But there does appear to be generally more stuff for sale there than CL. CL at least released their native app now, which makes searching much easier--the distance filter is useful.

i'm in the industry. it about keeping the balance between you loading just a few more items without punching out. they have entire teams deticated to maxing out the number of ad's you load. that is their only reason for doing anything.

Whats wrong with craigslist?

Still use it every day.

CL pretty much suicided itself when it started charging to post auto listings. I still use it, and five bucks ain't much to list your car for sale, but there ain't shit on there anymore.

CL pretty much suicided itself when it started charging to post auto listings. I still use it, and five bucks ain't much to list your car for sale, but there ain't shit on there anymore.

Amazingly, here we still have dealers spamming the shit out of CL. Very little that I actually want to buy, though.

. You set your location. Defaults to a 40 mile range, and won't respond when you change it to 100 miles. Then it gives you results for at least 1000 miles, strangely. l.

TF is that. The thing is just junk. FB isn't even a program, I don't think it's even being developed at this point. You can't even search for people on FB, much less crap on their marketplace.

When I see/buy things on MP I figure it's just random. I don't feel part of it at all. Just a random collection of shit that scrolls down the screen. I don't like that loss of agency.

Every time I see what I've searched for it's typically 200-1000 miles away. Rarely is anything within my search region anymore. I thought there used to be a way to refine the search sort of like CL with a dollar limit too or am I just dumb?

FB market place search is trash. The only privacy invading option I do like is when I "browse" and not search it pulls up shit relevant to my interest. Other than that, it's a lot if sifting.

My FB account has zero friends and somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 blocked people. Every time I see an ad in Spanish, or it's a dealer or pathetic salesman trying to sell a car I flag them and block.

it's almost like paywalls behind adding content, even small, have the same predictable effect. and it is nearly always counter the "intended purpose" :homer:

bought my last car off autotrader.com.

FB marketplace is absolute trash

It's garbage but clist is about dead. I'm now getting things for sale from my facebook groups that are thousands of miles away. Clicking that you don't want to see them does nothing. If and when you can get find something you want, it does seem easier than clist to get that item bought, but finding anything is a chore. Its nice that it remembers things you searched for and brings them to your attention, but the rest of it is a raging dumpster fire.

There is also a scammer posting fake ads for a dealership in Shreveport. I've flagged dozens of ads but nothing permanent happens. Before they made their seller ratings private they had over 800 negative comments. There has to be 5-10 ads on there from them at all times.

Top Back Refresh