What's new

IR SS3R2-GM Air Compressor.. repair or replace

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
My dad bought this thing new I want to say in the late 90's and it's been perfect for running air tools/plasma cutter/all the home garage shit I've needed it for.
  • 5.7CFM
  • 24 gallons
  • max PSI 135
PXL_20210421_185224254.MP.jpg

In the past year I've "rebuilt" the heads with new gaskets and valves and then sure enough the pressure switch failed. I have searched and put in a few inquiries out to parts suppliers but I'm thinking I won't be able to find one that's made for this without a lot of retrofitting and then I'll be waiting for the next part to break.

Have air compressors come a long way since this thing was built? Should I just buy something new and comparable, if so, what's a good choice? I'd like to keep it under $800.

Came across this Husky C304H ($649, local pickup) which seems like an upgrade:
  • 6.2 CFM at 90 PSI
  • 30 gallons
  • max PSI 175
..and if I do replace this thing, any worth in scavenging parts off it or repurposing it? I thought about setting it up as an auxiliary tank but refills would take a lot longer.

...and might not be rated for 175psi...

That said, all 120v compressors kinda blow the same amount...only so much energy you can get out of the plug and limits the CFM you'll ever get.

That looks like a nice compressor for a smaller unit of that style. I'd just throw a universal pressure switch on it for and run it.

You should be able to find something on here that is close enough to what it has on it to make it work without completely re-engineering the whole thing.

Also can you just fix your current switch? Clean the contacts and run it?

Post pics of the pressure switch. Highly unlikely that IR makes their own switches and I'd bet that same part was used on other brands. Or at least I bet we can find something close enough to work. No reason to ditch it over a bad switch.

Edit: Found it. Pricey OEM but it looks like most other generic ones with an unloader.

amazon.com/Pressure-Switch-For-SS3-Compressors/dp/B07Q1K8XR8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3IDVYJQUKES8Y&keywords=54441738+pressure+switch&qid=1641348820&sprefix=54441738+pressure+switch%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-2

1641348878276.png

Personally, I'd throw a $20 amazon one at it. Might have to change the routing of the wiring or the unloader tube, but that's not hard.

Attachments

• 1641348732179.png
    1641348732179.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
We had one of those and one of the capacitors went out. I went through hell trying to buy a replacement and they would not sell me one, new motor only IIRC it was a Wen but I am not positive on that. I went to the motor mfgr and they said by contract with IR they could not sell me one. It is physically smaller than normal, I ended up with a larger one and found a cover from a junk motor to get it back up and running.

I'll take the switch off tomorrow maybe and see if it can just be cleaned up or something. It's just not turning off when it reaches 125 PSI and blows the safety valve.

Looking at that one bgaidan found on Amazon, that's totally it. Not sure how I haven't been able to find it these past few months of searching.

That site billybob_81067 posted seems to have something pretty close that I think I'll try: Four Port 95-125 PSI Air Compressor Pressure Switch

From the looks of it:
  • I'll probably have to make a new unloader line that's a bit longer and goes into the top of the new switch.. or any reason I can't get a stainless one like this: Amazon.com
  • my pressure regulator will move to the left or right side

Some pics of the switch I have now:

PXL_20210421_185230471.MP.jpg

PXL_20210421_185238808.MP.jpg

PXL_20210421_222858298.MP.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
If it's not shutting off, the contacts are probably boogered and welding themselves together under current. Try smacking the regulator when it's at pressure and stuck next time - or take a plastic handled screwdriver and push on the contacts a little bit and see if they pop apart. It's a pretty simple switch - just an air diaphragm and spring. When the air pressure is high enough to overtake the spring it pushed up and disconnects the contacts. You can take a piece of folded emery cloth and clamp it between the contacts and sand them down a bit to clean them up and it'll probably be fine for another 10 years. Unless the diaphragm is shot and just leaking air instead of building pressure.

Otherwise, yeah. No reason why you can't use any old pressure switch on it. Looks like it's a typical 90/125 psi switch. You can use that stainless line as long as it's oriented correctly and has the right fittings. Probably overkill for that little guy. Most use just a piece of copper or plastic tubing with compression fittings.

I thought about setting it up as an auxiliary tank but refills would take a lot longer.
Replace the switch and tie it in with the new one. I’d think this will work well, considering the new one tops out at 175, while the old one at 135, so you won’t have both to come on at same time & trip your breaker and the old one will only come on when the demand is high

Top Back Refresh