What's new

Internet building frame question

Right_side_up

ST4x4
Member Number
Hello all, just been dreaming while I’m laid up in bed, and wanted to build a custom frame for the rig in my head.

My question is, any downside to narrow frame rails? Like most people are trying to sneak an exhaust inside the frame rail, when if the rails were just a lot narrower at the engine, the exhaust could be outboard with very little obstructions.

What do y’all think?

You've also got to remember the front driveshaft has to get in through there somehow. It seems easier to me to have the frame narrow near the motor mounts then widen up further back to get the driveshaft and exhaust through. The other thing is being able to pull the trans and t-case out when needed. Its usually easier to do that with more space.

Check some existing rigs. Squarebody chevs were fairly narrow for fullsize. (28" front frame horns flaring to 34" at the cab and back). Exhaust inboard and fuel tanks outboard.

You probably want the tcase to fit in between, and not be smashing the front diff pumpkin or driveshaft on the frame rail.

Yea for sure I would make it wide enough to pull the trans t-case out and then probably neck down to the motor mounts. As far as driveshaft I think the front of the frame would be raised up by that point.

I assume the factory is usually wider as it’s striking a balance between where the vehicle needs support. With building a rig with sliders, roll cage, and engine cradle, to me makes sense to go just wide enough to support the engine.

I dunno probably a crappy idea, just can’t see the obvious reason why. If I can’t figure it out, someday I’ll do it and you guys can all laugh at my struggle lol.

Copy the Jeep cherokee unibody frame rail dimensions.

I think jeep almost had it dialed in with the size and shape.

Top Back Refresh