What's new

Internal frame coating after repair?

ToyodaAddict1980

Member Number
I need some suggestions on what to coat the inside of a frame with after repair. The only thing I find searching is eastwood internal frame coating, is it any good? I want to do this right.

I was supposed to weld on a motobuilt rear crossmember for a friends jeep. When we cut off the stock crossmember, this is what we found.

We cut out the rust, wire wheeled inside the frame and are using these new frame sections. After I get it welded up, what should we use inside the frame?

Screenshot_20240217-200625_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20240217-200848_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20240218-210014_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217-200625_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240217-200625_Messages.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Whatever you use, the application is key to get full coverage. I like fluid film.
Fluid film may be a good maintenance option after it's all done but I want that bare metal painted with something permanent to start with.

We are definitely going to need some kind of extension to get in there.

Shop rag tied in a knot around 12" sawzall blade and then dipped in gallon can works well for rectangle and square tube IMO.
This got me thinking.
I had planned to do the internal painting/coating after I welded everything, including the rear crossmember. My only access would be through a few small holes.

Maybe I could paint everything in front of the shackle tube before welding the crossmember. That would give me alot more access and hopefully the last few inches being uncoated would be enough to keep me from burning the paint when I weld the crossmember.
Screenshot_20240220-124640_Messages.jpg

I've generally just taken the approach of fogging the shit out it with a rattle can. sometimes I'll take brush on rustoleum and sap it in and let it run down to the other side

above options are probably better

guys also suggested Ospho and some other things for cavities after sheetmetal repair, would probably work the same for frames

I used the Eastwood setup when I stretched mine. I haven’t looked inside with a borescope but paint came out or every opening. My advice is do it outside

I used cavity wax, over here in Europe you can find Sika cavity wax, which is really nice. It dries to a soft coating and when I did some sections of the underside of the Jeep, I sprayed on the rocker. It lasted a few pressure washes, that's how strong it adheres :)

I think you can find FluidFilm in the US, they have a thicker version which should last a long time in cavities.

This is how the Sika wax looks like (yeah, I coated my winch and the solenoid box to keep water away):
G2ah5ea.jpg

I used cavity wax, over here in Europe you can find Sika cavity wax, which is really nice. It dries to a soft coating and when I did some sections of the underside of the Jeep, I sprayed on the rocker. It lasted a few pressure washes, that's how strong it adheres :)

I think you can find FluidFilm in the US, they have a thicker version which should last a long time in cavities.

This is how the Sika wax looks like (yeah, I coated my winch and the solenoid box to keep water away):
G2ah5ea.jpg

:French accent: Vuury-vuury een-TRA-steen🤔 :French accent:

Does dirt/dust stick to it, or does it dry somewhat hard?

I'm somewhat reluctant to search the internet for "cavity wax".

Dirt/dust sticks to it. Fluid film does not dry hard. It does thicken slightly after being applied for a while. For internal cavities you want Fluid Film Liquid AR. It is much thicker than standard fluid film. It cannot be sprayed without thinning.

Tape up the frame holes, jack up the rear, and dump whatever down the frame rails, catch pan in the front? You could probably fish a cable thru from the front to the rear and tie off some rags to act as a flexible plug and keep the rails filled up and slowly pull it thru to the front.

Might be a terrible random idea. Something real nasty like coal tar epoxy could make it even worse.

Does dirt/dust stick to it, or does it dry somewhat hard?

I'm somewhat reluctant to search the internet for "cavity wax".
Sika dries hard and to my surprise it still hasn't cracked. I need to find time and take a peek under the bumper at the winch but it's still functional and the car gets driven in all conditions.

Top Back Refresh