What's new

Interior tech

Rooney77

Bearded lady
Member Number
Loc
TX
I'm gonna be tackling my Headliner in the fsj soon and need to know what adhesive to use. The Headliner is backer board with fabric glued to it.

Same question for recovering my dash pad. It's vinyl and I'll just recover it with vinyl.

What kind of backer board is it? Sometimes it's not so much the glue as it is preparing the surface. On my Ramcharger there is a fiber board that looks like compressed fiberglass insulation that originally had a cushy foam layer between the board and the fabric. Once that foam dries out and crumbles, the fabric comes loose. Since the decaying foam makes a powdery, flaky mess, it's hard to get any glue to stick to the board. We typically paint the board to seal it and provide a smooth surface to glue the fabric to. Just my .02

What kind of backer board is it? Sometimes it's not so much the glue as it is preparing the surface. On my Ramcharger there is a fiber board that looks like compressed fiberglass insulation that originally had a cushy foam layer between the board and the fabric. Once that foam dries out and crumbles, the fabric comes loose. Since the decaying foam makes a powdery, flaky mess, it's hard to get any glue to stick to the board. We typically paint the board to seal it and provide a smooth surface to glue the fabric to. Just my .02

This is what I do, I also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The nice thing about the 3 M is it gives you a little time to work and to pull back reposition if needed. I can't really comment on the dash pad but I would imagine it would work fine as long as the original had 0% wax, grease or Armor All type stuff left on it.

This is what I do, I also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The nice thing about the 3 M is it gives you a little time to work and to pull back reposition if needed. .

X2 -- this is what I've used.

Another vote for 3M super77... my little van build is built with that, and that stuff worked VERY well. Do be sort of generous with it.
All of my fabric was glued to 1/8" panel that had a sort of sheen to them. The off the shelf stuff from el depo. Everything in the pic was super 77'd to the panels/ box's. It doesn't off gas for very long either... another plus!

W40kRY3.jpg

Top Back Refresh