What's new

Interesting Trucks for Sale

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 11.43.20 AM.png

20230415_171517.jpg

And then there is this Datsun. Poor thing.

20230415_171618.jpg
I'd guess the side glass from the 'burb and maybe the datsun to be worth something? and maybe the bull bar on the datsun?

burb flat glass wouldn't take much space to store and list for sale. worst case it lays out on a tarp, takes a hammer hit, and gets dumped in recycling

I'd guess the side glass from the 'burb and maybe the datsun to be worth something? and maybe the bull bar on the datsun?

burb flat glass wouldn't take much space to store and list for sale. worst case it lays out on a tarp, takes a hammer hit, and gets dumped in recycling
I leant him my mini ex for the weekend to clean up some and the only thing left there now is the Datsun.

The Dodge buyer backed out so I ended up snagging it; and left the mini ex there. And now the thumb is bent. Oh well.

I leant him my mini ex for the weekend to clean up some and the only thing left there now is the Datsun.

The Dodge buyer backed out so I ended up snagging it; and left the mini ex there. And now the thumb is bent. Oh well.
Saw the Dodge on your Instalandgram. What was up with the rear axle?

Saw the Dodge on your Instalandgram. What was up with the rear axle?
The story is that the truck had a "Tar Kettle" on it for a long time as it belonged to a local contractor in the 60s and 70s. In that time, cleaning up tar usually meant using muriatic acid or similar. The tank sat open with the drain over that spot on the axle. Every time it rained it directed all of the water out of the tank onto that spot. So combination of corrosive chemicals for years then followed up with a few decades of directed water flow. Honestly it looks like a lot of beam ends for bridges below expansion joints that are poorly maintained. All that water goes to one spot and takes all the corrosive chemicals with it.

When I went to load it, my poor little X331 didn't have quite enough umph to pickup the rear end of the truck all the way off the ground but would get most of the weight. Well, while dragging it up the ramp, the right rear snagged a little and pop went the remnants of those u-bolts. We cut the other ones and we continued to drag the truck onto the trailer. The mini could fully pick it up without that monster rear axle under there. I then tossed the axle in the scrap dumpster for the seller with the mini.

20230423_135331.jpg

Also, weird coincidence; back when my family owned a John Deere dealership, my Grandfather bought out a small shop for tools and trucks. Turns out, this truck was in the group of them. This was 35 years ago now and I was 3 years old at the time so obviously no memory. This truck sat in the back of the dealership for a few years and then got shuffled to the friend of the family's farm as some form of trade, deal, who knows as I am getting it from the son of the guy who got it from my grandfather. The title was signed by the seller who's name is on the door, and who's two brother in-laws worked for our dealership at the time. Yea yea, small town country ass stuff.

Its a cool truck, has a 315 poly in it with an NP540 5 Speed. I also am getting a rolling chassis of a C50 there with another NP540 and a decent 2 speed rear. It has 2 PTO outputs on it and comes with a giant line drag winch. Two guys from here went over and picked a bunch of cab parts from it and someone else grabbed an entire truck. The Datsun needs a good home soon or it may end up in the dumpster as a whole.

Its currently driveway art until I can button up a few other things and then I'll dig into this project. I had a delivery this morning and the driver lady was like "Hey! Thats a cool old truck!"

20230424_140152 (1).jpg

NP540 is a pretty cool transmission. Real wide overall spread. Should pair well with a modern engine with a wide power band.

I would have saved the axle housing. Can't have too many brake/wheel/hub assemblies in stock. :laughing:

The story is that the truck had a "Tar Kettle" on it for a long time as it belonged to a local contractor in the 60s and 70s. In that time, cleaning up tar usually meant using muriatic acid or similar. The tank sat open with the drain over that spot on the axle. Every time it rained it directed all of the water out of the tank onto that spot. So combination of corrosive chemicals for years then followed up with a few decades of directed water flow. Honestly it looks like a lot of beam ends for bridges below expansion joints that are poorly maintained. All that water goes to one spot and takes all the corrosive chemicals with it.

When I went to load it, my poor little X331 didn't have quite enough umph to pickup the rear end of the truck all the way off the ground but would get most of the weight. Well, while dragging it up the ramp, the right rear snagged a little and pop went the remnants of those u-bolts. We cut the other ones and we continued to drag the truck onto the trailer. The mini could fully pick it up without that monster rear axle under there. I then tossed the axle in the scrap dumpster for the seller with the mini.

20230423_135331.jpg

Also, weird coincidence; back when my family owned a John Deere dealership, my Grandfather bought out a small shop for tools and trucks. Turns out, this truck was in the group of them. This was 35 years ago now and I was 3 years old at the time so obviously no memory. This truck sat in the back of the dealership for a few years and then got shuffled to the friend of the family's farm as some form of trade, deal, who knows as I am getting it from the son of the guy who got it from my grandfather. The title was signed by the seller who's name is on the door, and who's two brother in-laws worked for our dealership at the time. Yea yea, small town country ass stuff.

Its a cool truck, has a 315 poly in it with an NP540 5 Speed. I also am getting a rolling chassis of a C50 there with another NP540 and a decent 2 speed rear. It has 2 PTO outputs on it and comes with a giant line drag winch. Two guys from here went over and picked a bunch of cab parts from it and someone else grabbed an entire truck. The Datsun needs a good home soon or it may end up in the dumpster as a whole.

Its currently driveway art until I can button up a few other things and then I'll dig into this project. I had a delivery this morning and the driver lady was like "Hey! Thats a cool old truck!"

20230424_140152 (1).jpg
That’s awesome on all the actual family history of that truck!

Not super interesting, but someone might be interested in this thing. Not sure where else to post it. Looks decent and not a bad price by today's standards.

20230520_183423.jpg
20230520_183444.jpg
20230520_183458.jpg
20230520_183504.jpg

Seems like a good gamble. The kind of person who thinks this is a truck is probably also the kind of person who mis-diagnoses a 3400 intake gasket as a head gasket. :laughing:

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 9.05.28 AM.png

Certainly not "nice" but this is the perfect superduty for me.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 11.34.24 AM.png

Does this count?

I'm still looking for a truck to pull our stuff around, as well as move east. Looks worth investigating, as it has the 3v V10, the 5 speed auto, and that sweet rack with what looks to be a spotlight near the amber gumball.

01414_kMqYcL8fxVV_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Top Back Refresh