What's new

Interesting tools for sale.

arse_sidewards

Contrary to everything
Member Number
This thread is for cool shit to put in your shop to build other shit with. Let's start this off with a big fucking surface grinder for cheap.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tls/d/gallmeyer-livingston-surface-grinder/7139449743.html

Who doesn't want to resurface their own heads and deck their own blocks and with 34" of travel there's no many you can't do in one pass :smokin:

If I resurfaced stuff that often you can bet your ass this would be mine since it's only $350

00d0d_gxTNQFQ8Deq_1200x900.jpg

I have a Gallmeyer Livingston 8X34 surface grinder for sale. I bought it after it had been rebuilt some years back and have used it sparingly since. It works well and takes the large grinding wheel. Comes complete with flood coolant. This is a good machine if you have use for it. I am selling it because I am retiring. I, also, have other machine equipment to sell. Come take a look.

This thread is for cool shit to put in your shop to build other shit with. Let's start this off with a big fucking surface grinder for cheap.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tls/d/gallmeyer-livingston-surface-grinder/7139449743.html

Who doesn't want to resurface their own heads and deck their own blocks and with 34" of travel there's no many you can't do in one pass :smokin:

If I resurfaced stuff that often you can bet your ass this would be mine since it's only $350

Pimp piece of equipment. Bet its so cheap because its a nightmare to move. I need to buy a forklift and a 18k trailer...

Pimp piece of equipment. Bet its so cheap because its a nightmare to move. I need to buy a forklift and a 18k trailer...

It's so cheap because he's been trying to sell it for like 2yr. I think he started at $1k. The guy has had a ton of stuff he's sold and this seems to be one of the last ones left.

Grinders are generally really light compared to other machine tools because there's so little force on them that you don't need massive parts to hold precision.

It's so cheap because he's been trying to sell it for like 2yr. I think he started at $1k. The guy has had a ton of stuff he's sold and this seems to be one of the last ones left.

Grinders are generally really light compared to other machine tools because there's so little force on them that you don't need massive parts to hold precision.

I'm that case why wouldn't it be bought already? Id love to have one. Could make my own blocks and parallel bars. Thats the kind of price is drag it home for if it wasn't so far away.

I'm that case why wouldn't it be bought already? Id love to have one. Could make my own blocks and parallel bars. Thats the kind of price is drag it home for if it wasn't so far away.

How many 2ft+ parallels you planning on making? Exactly.

The number of people who want to make things bigger than a normal 6x18 can do and also plan to make those things in big enough volume that paying someone else to do it doesn't make sense is very, very low. That's why I haven't bought it. The only thing I'd use it for if I had it is engine work but I don't do enough engines to make a massive surface grinder worth it relative to just milling with a flycutter and then finishing by hand. I'd love to score a tiny benchtop model though. Most production shops are gonna want something CNC. Most repair and low volume shops (the primary users of manual machines in this day and age) simply don't need to surface things that big that often.

Last edited:
To big for most stuff, to small to sharpen shear blades. If it was near me I would have bought it already.

LOL

Thats not the kind of surface grinder one uses to surface heads, you couldn't fit a head under that grinding wheel, I suppose none of you brainiacs thought of that.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tl...139449743.html

LOL

Thats not the kind of surface grinder one uses to surface heads, you couldn't fit a head under that grinding wheel, I suppose none of you brainiacs thought of that.

What do you think that massive Z-axis in the back is for?

A normal 6x18 can fit a head on it. When I worked tool crib at a university kids used to do them all the time. Your primary limitation is length.

Ive worked in the automotive machine shop industry and have a degree in same that tool is not meant to surface cylinder heads.

Last edited:
Ive worked in the automotive machine shop industry and have a degree in same that tool is not meant to surface cylinder heads.

It's a general purpose surface grinder. If it fits it goes. There's no reason you can't use it for automotive parts. No it will not be as fast as a purpose build machine, no you will not be able to make money doing it. You can still do it. I used to work tool crib in a machine shop and we had an old 6x18 that finished plenty of heads for people's personal projects.

You're thinking like a mechanic when you need to be thinking like a machinist. Anything that fits on the table is fair game. It's just a matter of time vs accuracy vs profitability.

NO.

Dont be an idiot!

:lmao:

It's a general purpose surface grinder. If it fits it goes. There's no reason you can't use it for automotive parts. No it will not be as fast as a purpose build machine, no you will not be able to make money doing it. You can still do it. I used to work tool crib in a machine shop and we had an old 6x18 that finished plenty of heads for people's personal projects.

You're thinking like a mechanic when you need to be thinking like a machinist. Anything that fits on the table is fair game. It's just a matter of time vs accuracy vs profitability.

Care to give any reasoning beyond "hurr durr you can't"?

The specs for flatness for cylinder heads are well within the range of what surface grinders are capable of. People even use mills from time to time when they know the machine in question is accurate enough over the range they'll be using.

The stone shape isnt correct to cut the surface of the head.

That stone cant cut accuracy all the way across the head surface, if you want a quality job you must use the correct tool and that isnt the correct tool for surfaceing a head.

By the time you grind a 1 inch swathe on the one side the stone is not the same height when you get to the other side.

It wont be flat.

With age comes wisdom. In time grasshopper in time but not enough time has passed.

If you use that grinder to try and cut a head surface you are a idiot plain and simple.

Care to give any reasoning beyond "hurr durr you can't"?

The specs for flatness for cylinder heads are well within the range of what surface grinders are capable of. People even use mills from time to time when they know the machine in question is accurate enough over the range they'll be using.

Last edited:

That stone cant cut accuracy all the way across the head surface, if you want a quality job you must use the correct tool and that isnt the correct tool for surfaceing a head.

By the time you grind a 1 inch swathe on the one side the stone is not the same height when you get to the other side.

It wont be flat.

With age comes wisdom. In time grasshopper in time but not enough time has passed.

If you use that grinder to try and cut a head surface you are a idiot plain and simple.

I know how a wheel wears down. A properly set up surface grinder with a properly dressed wheel on a properly prepared part is perfectly capable of holding less than a thou over the entire area of its travel. Heck my Cincinatti MILL could do that when was new. That's more than enough for a cylinder head that's been milled or otherwise prepared so that your feed rate is sane. Commercial refinishing machines us cutters because they're faster and good enough for engine tolerances and surface finish requirements.

Last edited:
Checked out that brake today. Deal is on if the rigging company comes back with a price that fits the budget. It is a big hunk of steel, got to be 20k lbs.

It wont be flat.

So you're saying This Old Tony is full of shit? Because This Old Tony doesn't sound like he's full of shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npybvhWYklc

No that old tony does not sound like he is full of shit, at least not like you do.

He didnt give his opinion as to the application of the surface grinder, only about stone wear.

Well, if the stone gets dressed flat accross it's width, and it doesn't wear all the way accross it's width while grinding your part, then the part should be flat--------the wheel didn't change it's diameter throughout the grind.

Explain what I'm missing...

Only the leading edge of the wheel wears. If you have the correct type of wheel, it will be worn less than half way across it's width by the time you have finished with something as big as a head. Put a CBN wheel on it and do a couple heads without dressing.

That being said, a mill would be much more useful for head surfacing, Grinding aluminum is a hassle.

I emailed Chicago with the serial number for some info. The brake was made in 1966 and the weight is 30k. :eek:

Doesn't someone here have one of those? I wanna say it was the guy with the International Harvester track loader project.

The rotary head is cool because you can us a cheap 1/8" end mill for all the things people use expensive hole saws and annular cutters without using a rotary table and the machine looks to be in great shape but that B3 spindle doesn't exactly scream heavy duty.

Dude with the surface grinder is down to $250. I don't need a surface grinder. I rarely ever work at that level of precision. My mill isn't in my shop yet. I have no idea where I'd put it. I have four non-running vehicles I should be working on. But damn am I considering it. Being able to un-fuck a head at 11pm on a Sunday with zero lead time sure does sound attractive.

Dude with the surface grinder is down to $250. I don't need a surface grinder. I rarely ever work at that level of precision. My mill isn't in my shop yet. I have no idea where I'd put it. I have four non-running vehicles I should be working on. But damn am I considering it. Being able to un-fuck a head at 11pm on a Sunday with zero lead time sure does sound attractive.

Yeah I’d have to pick it up at $250.

It wont be flat.

Yea it is not the ideal tool for the job, but it would def work. I bet I could hold 0.0002 across that table, slow and easy. If you are taking 0.010 cuts, yes your wheel will be fucked, if you need to just clean something up, no problem.

I second the mechanic vs tool maker statement. You know what you know, we know that and more :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh