What's new

Interesting tools for sale.

For someone looking for a small lathe with tooling. Seems like a good deal

432644104_7831051263595456_4114964259026484933_n.jpg

For someone looking for a small lathe with tooling. Seems like a good deal

432644104_7831051263595456_4114964259026484933_n.jpg
If you have limited space, that looks like a nice clean little lathe. But if you have room for a big ole dinosaur lathe, you can probably get it for the same money from a machine shop going out of business or upgrading to a CNC. Can you chuck something in that weighing 20 lbs.? I guess, but it would be scary standing in the room while it’s spinning.

If you have limited space, that looks like a nice clean little lathe. But if you have room for a big ole dinosaur lathe, you can probably get it for the same money from a machine shop going out of business or upgrading to a CNC. Can you chuck something in that weighing 20 lbs.? I guess, but it would be scary standing in the room while it’s spinning.

$800 for a lathe that hasnt been stored under an oak tree for 15 years, seems pretty cheap to me:laughing:

certainly is on the small side and I would be all over it if I didn’t have a smaller precision Matthew’s lathe here and no extra space for it. $800 with the included tooling is pretty good. Sure, you can find bigger machines and I have seen plenty go for little money at local auctions, just don’t have the space. Need to find a nice place in the country…. As a starter lathe to learn on, could be good for someone.

Can you then put a Bridgeport or other head on a horizontal milling machine?
Yes, but it's not like they bolt up. You'd have to make an adapter to the over-arm and make sure it's damn square. Could turn out to be a bitch of a project if you have a dovetail overarm instead of a round one.

You can stick a Bridgeport head on anything. People have been mounting Bridgeport heads on the tool posts of big lathes to get live tooling since Bridgeport started making vertical milling heads.

You might also consider a high speed spindle. They make some fairly cheap yet powerful ones these days. I keep meaning to pick one up for live tooling for my lathe but it's sooooo far down the priority list it's not even a consideration. I think up to 3KW is available pretty cheap.

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 7.45.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes, but it's not like they bolt up. You'd have to make an adapter to the over-arm and make sure it's damn square. Could turn out to be a bitch of a project if you have a dovetail overarm instead of a round one.

You can stick a Bridgeport head on anything. People have been mounting Bridgeport heads on the tool posts of big lathes to get live tooling since Bridgeport started making vertical milling heads.

You might also consider a high speed spindle. They make some fairly cheap yet powerful ones these days. I keep meaning to pick one up for live tooling for my lathe but it's sooooo far down the priority list it's not even a consideration. I think up to 3KW is available pretty cheap.

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 7.45.48 PM.png
That's about what I figured, not sure I have enough confidence in my fabricobbeling abilities to make that work.

Aaron Z

Another cheap lathe with a wild fucking turret in the tail stock. :laughing:

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.37.37 PM.png

I have one of those for my craftsman. Just has an my taper to fit the tailstock. That one's probably one size too big for that machine though.

Kinda handy for small repetitive work - like center drill, drill, chamfer by just rotating the turret and not having to open a drill chuck or swap taper tools.

Yep. Good deal for a good starter machine. I've had at least 3 of those over the years and sold them for 3-4x that amount. There's one for sale near me right now for $1200. That's the Timken bearing headstock (not babbit bearings), so it's the better version. The full set of change gears is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Almost looks like a taper attachment on the back of the carriage as well.

If this were closer...

Yep. Good deal for a good starter machine. I've had at least 3 of those over the years and sold them for 3-4x that amount. There's one for sale near me right now for $1200. That's the Timken bearing headstock (not babbit bearings), so it's the better version. The full set of change gears is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Almost looks like a taper attachment on the back of the carriage as well.
Ended up buying it. Funny enough, this is for the wife's birthday. Gonna be a big learning curve for me.

Came with the following:
20240325_201631.jpg
20240325_201635.jpg

Top Back Refresh