What's new

Im shopping for a new air compressor

HossCat

Sarcasmic bastid
Member Number
Loc
On the Ga/SC line.
Im looking at a Quincy 2V41C60VC. 60 gallon, 5 horse, two stage , 15.4 cfm @ 100+ psi.

This will be for my home shop. From what Ive read and the review vids Ive watched, its looking to me like the compressor I want. Do any of you have experience with these or is there a better alternative for the money?

They're a solid choice. I've got the Ingersoll Rand equivalent of that and it's been fine too. Honestly for home use, almost all of these industrial grade compressors are going to be fine.

If any advice, people always say get the one with the slower RPM.

x2 on the slower RPM models. If the compressor will be in the same space as your shop (not isolated or remote) then you will appreciate how quiet the low RPM model is in comparison.

I don't see an RPM listed on the spec sheet on Quincy's site, but you're looking for a ~1750rpm electric motor driving the pump.

I have the same Quincy, 5 years old, purchased new. Mine has the switch mounted on the side, The switch is a china pos. The switched failed immediately, Quincy compressor tech came out and replaced it with the same switch, I had him set up the pressures the way I wanted and I use the breaker to turn it off and on. Other than that it has been flawless and relatively quiet.

I have the same Quincy, 5 years old, purchased new. Mine has the switch mounted on the side, The switch is a china pos. The switched failed immediately, Quincy compressor tech came out and replaced it with the same switch, I had him set up the pressures the way I wanted and I use the breaker to turn it off and on. Other than that it has been flawless and relatively quiet.
I put in a Siemens 60 amp shutoff switch in front of mine like you'd use on a hot tub or something and use that as my power switch. Breakers apparently only have so many cycles before they wear out and my panel is in another room so this way I don't have to worry about wearing out the breaker or walking further away to shutoff.

1620325585147.png

I bought the Quincy. I've only ran it long enough to make sure it functions as it should so far. Thanks for all the responses.

Just saw this, I have the same Quincy. Been using it for about 4 years with no issues.

I put it in a vented closet where the old craftsman was, but really didn't need to. It is pretty quiet.

Bumping an old thread.
Everyone still happy with the Quincy? My old single stage is dying, so I need to look at replacements.

California Air Tools has some nice features, but can't find much information about them...

IR 60 gallon 2 stage vertical.

I have 2 Polar compressors. One is a 4 cylinder 2 stage 10hp, the other is a 4 cylinder 7.5HP 2 stage. Both have been solid for quite a few years.

With air tools becoming less and less common what is everyone using air for?

What about the other end of the spectrum?

My father in law bought one of these for random stuff around the house and liked it. He ended up getting us one for Xmas also.

Normally these little things are kinda a joke, but going up to 200 psi seems to make it last longer than you'd think. It's not that loud either.

Worst thing so far is that when it's in the vertical position the switch is on the very bottom :homer:

Obviously not going to hold a candle to anything else in this thread, but it's a solid little unit for those who just need some air.

Anything with pressure lubrication should be fine. Splash lube is for lawn mowers

Like the other guy suggesting a smaller machine...

Been rocking a 3HP Speedaire 20gal portable (240V/10cfm) for 20 years. Runs my big impact well. Have a few other air tools, and then there's filling tires and blowing stuff off. Hides under a work bench mostly. A hardwired 60-80 gal upright would inconvenient (and overkill) in my small space.

With air tools becoming less and less common what is everyone using air for?
I love using air tools, especially small straight and angled die grinders, small DA sander, body saw (like a super small sawzall), and just to blow chips and grinding dust away. Also running air-over-hydraulic jacks (like in a press).

For stuff like lugnuts and suspension bolts, I usually use my battery impact, just because it's a bit easier to manage under the vehicle without a hose. But for small die grinders and stuff, I think air tools are still easier to use. I did pickup a milwaukee 12v die grinder, but it's fucking huge compared to an air die grinder.

And, on a hot day, it's kinda nice when the tools get cold after a minute or so :lmao:

Anyone used or been around an Emax Silent compressor or similar unit? I’ve been curious how quiet they actually are.

Bumping an old thread.
Everyone still happy with the Quincy? My old single stage is dying, so I need to look at replacements.

California Air Tools has some nice features, but can't find much information about them...
I have no complaints with mine.

I got in on the first buy of the Eastwood rotary air compressors. They have gone up in $$$$.... But if you can afford it, and have to have it in your space, they are awesome AND QUIET! It is easy to have a telephone conversation next to it. About three years old and but did have to replace the elec shut off. It was $29. and they covered it even after 2 years. My main issue is not hearing it in the house

I love using air tools, especially small straight and angled die grinders, small DA sander, body saw (like a super small sawzall), and just to blow chips and grinding dust away. Also running air-over-hydraulic jacks (like in a press).
Exactly. For pretty much anything other than a drill, 1/2 impact or some other "pretty much every hobbyist has one of these tools" where there's been a lot of competition over the last 20yr driving up the performance and driving down the price of battery tools the price difference is just too big to ignore.

Air tools are only going out of style if you're not concerned about getting the best bang for your buck and want luxury, can pass the costs onto your rich customers or your work area is so big that hoses and cords are just untenable.

Top Back Refresh