Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

I'll start. Post a picture of your bike(s).

Just picked this up the other day early harley hummer
20220331_154228.jpg
20220331_154220.jpg

I picked this up back in June it’s a 2001 Ducati monster 900. I wasn’t sure I’d own another one I sold my 2001 monster 750 when we moved back to Michigan. I picked this bike up from a friend of a friend I was shopping for a Yamaha MT-07 or a Suzuki sv-650.
15C8CEB2-FF37-489F-A8B1-F8432228E900.jpeg

I picked this up back in June it’s a 2001 Ducati monster 900. I wasn’t sure I’d own another one I sold my 2001 monster 750 when we moved back to Michigan. I picked this bike up from a friend of a friend I was shopping for a Yamaha MT-07 or a Suzuki sv-650.
15C8CEB2-FF37-489F-A8B1-F8432228E900.jpeg
Nice. Looks clean. Don’t be afraid to do the belts on your own. Put good tires on it and tear it up. :smokin:

Nice. Looks clean. Don’t be afraid to do the belts on your own. Put good tires on it and tear it up. :smokin:
New belts and tires about 300 miles ago its got around 4400 miles so I'll be back in there soon for the valves

1A63DC77-D2E8-4A1E-B01D-2AF259B929DC.jpeg
7311D63F-4274-4911-9594-89D8934B85A0.jpeg

FABE1F1A-7140-44DA-A20B-283CDD84C40D.jpeg

Ordered in August, showed up Thursday, picked it up Saturday
Aprilia Tuareg 660.
1st bike I have bought brand new (the MV Augusta has 125 miles on it but I bought it from the original owner)
1st bike I have bought without so much as a test ride

Put almost 200 miles on it Saturday, in our canyon and the next over. Ran out of daylight

First impressions
When I first saw it at the dealer - man that is a big bike. But it was surrounded by sport bikes. I am 6’2” and I sit with both feet flat and a good bend in my knees.
Plenty of power, not running it hard yet, but nice delivery and plenty of torque in low revs
Fantastic intake noise
I really like the handling both pavement and dirt. Bike leans in and takes a set, easy to adjust line with throttle. Rides nicer than the almost 30 year old Ducati 907ie sport bike. Actually feels like the 848 Hayden Ducati. There is a touch of tire squirm on pavement but only noticed it coming back to pavement from dirt

E-dash easy to operate and visible in all light conditions. 4 ride modes including a total custom one.

Plan is to ride the heck out of it next spring,summer and fall including CO and WY BDRs. Then put it in a crate and ship it to a buddy in Thailand and we plan a Vietnam/Thailand adventure in 2024.

Need gear. Suggestions for ADV style clothing that does not break the bank? Using my road helmet at the moment but I can see the value in a Mx style with goggles

87E6473C-64CE-48CD-B597-C3338E05D9B0.jpeg

Need to get a better pic of this one. It’s a 2019. It had 1200 miles on it when I picked it up Labor Day weekend. Since then, I’ve put an aftermarket ECU on it, new rubber, a new chain, a bash plate, some rotor guards, and rad guards on it. It’s only barely been offroad since I’ve had it, and it doesn’t look like the original owner did anything except wheelie it down the street. But once the weekend schedule has a gap, I’ll take it out to the local trails.

This thing is a freaking dragster compared to my DRZ—I’m nervous to see how much of a handful it is on the trails. My plan is to build it into a light adventure bike like I did with the DRZ, but it will take some time. I expect it would take a rear spring, a rear rack, a larger fuel tank, a seat, and a slip-on exhaust to be ready for even a basic BDR trip.

09 YZ450 - Had a rough previous life, so I ripped it down to frame and fixed all the issues. Valves were WAY out of spec and the PO may have lived on top of a mountain peak for how it was jetted. I also put a 64kg spring on since I weigh around 275 lbs.

It's amazing what a new set of plastics, tires and wire brush will accomplish.
PXL_20220831_214815461.jpg

Wrung all the daylight outta today.
20221003_190332.jpg

No pics from the trails, we were going hard. Awesome new system we found tonight, super flowy single track up and down across the mountain. Just vibing and ripping 3rd gear. Great time.

Then we accidently got into the trials trails built by Ryon Bell. That was less fun. He's a former national level trials rider:laughing:

09 YZ450 - Had a rough previous life, so I ripped it down to frame and fixed all the issues. Valves were WAY out of spec and the PO may have lived on top of a mountain peak for how it was jetted. I also put a 64kg spring on since I weigh around 275 lbs.

It's amazing what a new set of plastics, tires and wire brush will accomplish.
PXL_20220831_214815461.jpg
Valves may have been way out but I'd bet you money they'd never been adjusted since new. Yamaha 5 valves are some of the :grinpimp:est engines ever built far as reliability. Nice refresh!

Valves may have been way out but I'd bet you money they'd never been adjusted since new. Yamaha 5 valves are some of the :grinpimp:est engines ever built far as reliability. Nice refresh!
Thanks!

I've figured out that I've hit old man status. All I give a shit about is whether I can ride or not. Function/Form. Truth is, this is my second YZ, first being a 426, which is another bulletproof motor.

All of my friends with CRs and KXs are only good to ride half the time. The other half they're doing rebuilds or waiting on parts.

I change the oil between 10-15 hours, and swap in a clean filter every ride or two. Never have more than a couple of weekdays of downtime if something needs swapped. The FCR is a PITA to tune, but once it's dialed you're good.

Picked up these two bike from a auction in Minnesota 1968 BSA thunderbolt my dad wants for parts and I went with the 1969 BSA firebird. My dad was out bid on the. 68 Hornet he wanted. I’ll finish the restoration on the firebird once I’m done with my lightening refresh.
44A6C0AD-CFE8-4C14-AF69-03C94E5AEB1B.jpeg
26A95BF4-8DEF-43F9-88DF-DCCC41FA044A.jpeg
01F9ED17-B630-4ACB-9DF8-9F83CB88F5B3.jpeg
B56A2C58-8607-4111-978F-D156B410E754.jpeg
889948E5-9F89-4A85-90DB-8193AB4E4956.jpeg
3D1F379E-0EEE-44ED-BFDD-FF8DE483067A.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my 2001 DRZ400E. Got it in November. Leave for the So cal BDR tomorrow.

Bone stock when I got it, added new tires, 4 gallon tank, tank bag, saddle bags, new chain and sprockets, racks for the saddle bags, stiffer springs front/rear and other basic maintenance stuff.

This will be my first long road trip on a bike

336AFEF4-4F11-46CB-AFBB-21FE99C48F23.png

58F6DA16-86B9-42F4-BAEA-437E6C262476.jpeg

0607392A-67DB-4C17-B100-2890A6C0A547.jpeg

Nice. DRZ may not be the sexiest thing but damn is it a solid bike. Wish I had mine still some days but then I get cut off in traffic and remember why I stick to the woods now

Nice. DRZ may not be the sexiest thing but damn is it a solid bike. Wish I had mine still some days but then I get cut off in traffic and remember why I stick to the woods now
I am not a fan of onroad driving but needed something for the minimal road miles on the BDR.

You are right, there are sexier bikes but hopefully the DRZ lives up to the reputation. Solid and dependable

And then....?
Tough trip. Learned a lot. Only made it 135 miles(65 of it in my bike)….out of the 800 something. I didn’t bring any tools because I was told others would have tools. It is probably advice I won’t take again. I need to be 100% self sufficient. Long story short, I was riding and everything was great until pop pop pop and flames shot out the exhaust. It would idle fine but not rev. So we diagnosed it. Pulled valve cover off, timing was fine, spark plug was fine…then the 2 most experienced in the group towed it. I rode my buddies bike to get from mile 65 to 135. He handled getting tugged by a tow strap from one foot peg to another.

When we got to town they continued on, I made 3 walking trips to orielly in a shithole ghetto buying parts, tools, etc. with no luck. I then got picked up by a friends dad in his truck. We followed the group to campsites each night while we diagnosed and searched during the day. Pulled the carb, it was fine, a tad dirty but nothing to make it not run. We then figured it was electrical. Tracked down a CDI, replaced it, no luck. Checked valve clearance, fine. In the end it was the stator. I only had this bike for about 6 months. Maybe I should have gone through it more? Previous owner didn’t loctite the bolts down?

By the time this was diagnosed it was Tuesday PM, I could have overnighted a stator and had it Thursday midday, then finish the ride Friday and Saturday but for the first time ever I didn’t go with the never die attitude due to another situation not involving the bike.

E928651B-2B2E-4149-B59C-A816857646E5.png

9AF4D8B0-C648-4A77-8684-EC7A00A1BD4C.png

SUCK!
My 950S ate a stator in similar fashion once. Pissed me right the hell off.
I hate being towed. Always sketchy AF.
I applaud my 2 friends who did the towing for me. They have been riding since they could walk so I got to ride a KTM530 for a few hours while they fought the towing process. It pissed me the fuck off alright, so I can relate. Lol

Sorry about the tough luck on the first BDR. My first BDR trip was last August, and ended when my buddy’s bike got disabled. Two of us left him and another guy on the trail with instructions to sit tight while we scouted the trail ahead to verify that my pickup could make it back there for the bike rescue. Returned to find my buddy wrecked on the side of the trail 5 miles from where we left him. He had gotten so impatient that he decided he wanted to be towed by strangers in a rzr rather than sit on his hands. So, since he had never been towed, and the rzr driver had never towed a bike, it ended up with a few broken ribs in the absolute middle of nowhere CO. Luckily, the rzr folks were capable of being shamed into hauling him out of there to get checked out (hours away).

Good call on you putting the most experienced riders on the towing job. It’s sketchy as hell in the very best circumstances.

Top Back Refresh