What's new

Ideal Dell laptop to run SolidWorks Pro/2022

LowDown

What an idiot...
Member Number
Loc
Land of Mary
Requirement - Dell laptop which will run SolidWorks Pro or SolidWorks 2022 extremely well. I'm thinking an optioned up Dell Precision 7760 but wanted to get some real world feedback. Dell as the mfg, high performance, and mobility are hard requirements.

SolidWorks system requirements: https://www.solidworks.com/support/system-requirements

Thanks in advance.

What are you trying to do with solidworks? Massive assemblies or just modelling simple parts and simple assemblies?

My laptop runs it pretty well for a laptop while doing modelling and for generating machine G-code in HSMWORKS.

Laptop specs(Thinkpad P53)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
32 gig ram
Video Card: Quadro RTX 4000 8 gig
4k display
SSD hard drive

I'm on my second XPS 15, I had an i7 GTX 1050, '17 model and have the current i9 RTX 3050 model for about a week now. I love the form factor and performance, so I'd be after the Precision 5550, it's the workstation version of the XPS, swaps the RTX for a Quadro.

Jewels has a current gen i7, Quadro, 15" MS Surface that might be worth looking at too, it's cut render times down significantly from her ~'16 13" i7 integrated graphics Surface. I personally hate the touch screen and detachable keyboard, but she loves the things.

I'm about a decade behind on Solid Works now (can't believe it's been that long) I know laptop performance has increased exponentially since I made living as a CAD monkey, but if I didn't absolutely have to have a laptop, I'd be looking at i7/i9/Xeon or Ryzen 7/9/Epic desktops with the best Quadro and most RAM I could afford, especially if you're working with big assemblies.

I ran a i7 Dell 77?? Series for the last few years with SW2018. No real issues even with relatively large assemblies, but quit that job and now I’m slumming it with ACAD

Top Back Refresh