What's new

I quit drinking

It's on my short to do list, I know I have to.

But I did quit last night and start again this afternoon.

Seriously though, I've already admitted to myself that I drink too much, I just have to make the full stop. I quit for 4 months no problems training for a marathon. I got drunk the day I finished it. I always s have to have some larger goal that makes me stop. When I'm just "living" it's way to easy to grab that 12 pack.

I'm happy for you guys and I hope to join in soon.

It's on my short to do list, I know I have to.

But I did quit last night and start again this afternoon.

Seriously though, I've already admitted to myself that I drink too much, I just have to make the full stop. I quit for 4 months no problems training for a marathon. I got drunk the day I finished it. I always s have to have some larger goal that makes me stop. When I'm just "living" it's way to easy to grab that 12 pack.

I'm happy for you guys and I hope to join in soon.

we're here whenever you're ready man. Just make sure you do it for you, and not because someone said you should

Excellent, keep going. 5+ years for me. I decided one day that I just didn't like it any more so I stopped - I just wish I could ditch the cigs as easy as I did alcohol.

my redbull and grizzly chew intake has doubled since I stopped drinking

congratulations!
5 years for me 14apr2015 was my first day of sobriety. It has been amazing. I had absolutely no sober memories of adult life outside of work. It was amazing how much of life I missed out on being drunk every minute If it.

I loved this thread on the other place. I quit a couple years ago, but have recently picked up some whiskeys. I have found my big issue previously was with beer. With whiskey I might have 1 double one night a week, and I dont find myself wanting more than that usually.

I used to drink beer when i was a kid. Haven't had any since my wife was prego with our son. So 13 years or so. Only drink vodka now and way too much of it. Only way I can get more than a hour or 2 of sleep. Must have some Russian in me I guess. That dark shit gives me a hella hangover.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting the thread, about 2.5 years for me... As others have said and will say, best damn decision I’ve ever made.

Heavytlc- so true about missing out, especially the “little” things that would have been lost in the blur.

slowlygettingthere- it’s not easy and I NEVER thought I’d be able to sleep without booze, especially after 25+ years of booze induced sleep, but sober sleep is fawkin awesome!

Congrats to all that have and to those that will!

For me, it ended up being really simple, it just took me a long time to figure it out:

When I control my drinking I don’t enjoy it,
when I enjoy my drinking, I don’t control it.

Stopped drinking in October of 2019 due to a gout flare up at 36, but I was drinking beer like crazy since 2003 and recently switched over to martinis. My wife was about ready to have a sit down with me, nature beat her to the punch. I have had maybe 5 drinks since then, but the urge to drink has luckily went away, I really dodged a bullet I think. I have lost 31lbs to date, feel much better and no more gout flare ups. I can only imagine how bad it would be during this shut down, with my business dying at birth (opened the day they shut everything down here, so shut back down again) and my wife will most likely get laid off on October 1st, its been very stressful, been doing ok so far on the drinking front.

18 months for me this month. In a new relationship now with a woman who does not drink. It helps a lot to surround myself with others who do not partake in alcohol or other vices. They generally present different attitudes towards life that help me have a better attitude.

Last edited:
slowlygettingthere- it’s not easy and I NEVER thought I’d be able to sleep without booze, especially after 25+ years of booze induced sleep, but sober sleep is fawkin awesome!

Congrats to all that have and to those that will!

For me, it ended up being really simple, it just took me a long time to figure it out:

Well to make a long story short. My son is going blind. So we got rid of our house and all our property. Sold the tractor, mini x, sxs, and downsized. We bought a truck camper and upgraded a few things on my dads truck. ( its actually mine that I had to pay 1 of my bros and sis for, but it was last truck he bought new before he died. So to me its still his)

I quit my job last year and traveled for a bit. Visited 22 or so states in less than 6 months. From Texas to Maine. Was amazing and one of the best times of our lives. I fawking loved Maine and Vermont. i didnt drink any while we were gone and slept good pretty much every night. We have been back home for a few months now and I loved the trip but going back to "normal" life sucks donkey balls. Which is why I can't sleep anymore. So im working again, saving for our west coat trip next year. I will "quit" drinking for that trip as well.

Last edited:
I've been avoiding the thread but it's my turn to stop drinking. I've been drinking since my 21st birthday I'm about to turn 30 and haven't went a week with out a drink yet, lately it's been everyday after work or noon on the weekends. Today I'm starting my second day without alcohol. A good friend of mine asked me what good has alcohol ever done for you? I couldn't come up with a answer. So here I go. Also this:When I control my drinking I don’t enjoy it,
when I enjoy my drinking, I don’t control it.

I quit drinking sep 4 2019. Wasn’t a necessity for me but it was for my wife. The best way for her to get better was for me to join her. I was a heavy drinker as well but could control it and still enjoy myself. I also didn’t think it was good for our children to have parents that usually had a drink in their hands if it was after lunch time.
the mornings are easier, the sleep is better, and my mind is clearer. Only thing i still do is smoke on occasion (but never when the kids are awake)

Checking in...10 months today!

I'm definitely going to hit 1 year, and reevaluate from there. Idk yet...

one day at a time, and I don't really think about it.

Cheers to those who are still keeping with it

Just over two weeks for me! I've lost 13lbs without changing anything else and actually got my taste back for other food and drinks.

88 days i think? its been kind of a blur to be honest. Im 33, hard drinker since my teens, but never any side effects other than the usual weight gain and hangovers everyday at work. I got sick out of nowhere, turns out my liver had enough. 2 months later and a new liver and im back.. shits scary when its real.

88 days i think? its been kind of a blur to be honest. Im 33, hard drinker since my teens, but never any side effects other than the usual weight gain and hangovers everyday at work. I got sick out of nowhere, turns out my liver had enough. 2 months later and a new liver and im back.. shits scary when its real.

You got a liver transplant at 33 years old?

Top Back Refresh