What's new

I need a sign.

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Dirt driveway is almost a half mile long into the woods. I'm sick and freaking tired of people driving up it. I've got a chain across the end along with three NO TRESPASSING PRIVATE PROPERTY signs posted, but yet people take the chain down and drive up like they own the place. One night at 10pm it was the propane guy. Today was the electric guy swapping out the meter; scared the shit out of the wife. I don't mind those folks coming here, but at least contact me first. Folks like the propane and electric company have my number. All I ask is they call me.

Chain didn't work.

NO TRESPASSING signs didn't work.

Next is something a little more...stern.

This doesn't work, I guess I'll have to do a locked cattle gate or something. I really want to avoid that because it will be a pain to undo each time, but I'll do it if I have to.

As much as I'd like to do something like this:

654365436354.jpg

il_570xN.636239295_7l2f.jpg

I'm thinking that's going to make things worse for me. I think it also shows intent, which is a no-go.

So, iunno.

CONTACT LAND OWNER
BEFORE ENTRY

NO ACCESS
BEFORE CONTACTING OWNER

Something along those lines maybe?

You can't fix stupid. If the no trespassing sign didn't work, why would the others? Put motion/pressure sensors up that alert the house if someone comes past the chain and signs?

Jenny was always a very private female.

I use these shotgun shell devices for when humans ignore my signs.

Pull the pin and BOOM got your attention now.

Put a lock on it.

Sign reads "Private property - Call 867-5309 for access - Violators will be prosecuted"

Last edited:
So is it the public that's a problem?

You've listed two utilities that have written permission to enter your property.

Limited permission.

Not carte blanche to come as they please.

OP email me ill send you signs you can have printed.

People may ignore your signage but its evidence you attempted to comply with the legal.

You've listed two utilities that have written permission to enter your property.

Last edited:
more signage is retarded.

more than one or two sign's tells me property owner is retarded and thinks signs actually do anything, or provide them with cause to actually do harm.

people are just trying to do their jobs. theres alot missing from your story, but on first read this sounds like petty whining.

This.

When i worked in utilities the only signs i acknowledged were call before entry or call for access. couldn't have cared less about those stupid you'll get shot signs.

Yea, I wasn't serious with the two pics I posted. I wouldn't post those.

This.

When i worked in utilities the only signs i acknowledged were call before entry or call for access. couldn't have cared less about those stupid you'll get shot signs.

CALL FOR ACCESS

That's not bad. That's all I ask, is someone to let me know they'll be there that day. I'm fine with them here. We live out in the middle of nowhere and we just like to know who is showing up.

You can't fix stupid. If the no trespassing sign didn't work, why would the others? Put motion/pressure sensors up that alert the house if someone comes past the chain and signs?

I'd have to do battery powered. Not sure if I could do solar since its heavily wooded. They won't get much light. Any gate or fence would have to be all manual. Unless I lock up the chain I guess.

Lots of motorised gates with battery and solar panels that can be activated by remote so you're not getting out to open it.

do a locked cattle gate or something. I really want to avoid that because it will be a pain to undo each time, but I'll do it if I have to.

How is opening a gate any more annoying than opening the current chain? :confused:

There's these cool new inventions called "gate openers".. you should google them. (and now I have to google "chain openers") :lmao:

We've had a manually operated gate for 23 years. No big deal. Friends and family know to at least ask if they should close it when they leave. If you are in an area that has snow i would recommend a sliding gate rather than swinging so you dont have to shovel as much.

Yea, I wasn't serious with the two pics I posted. I wouldn't post those.

CALL FOR ACCESS

That's not bad. That's all I ask, is someone to let me know they'll be there that day. I'm fine with them here. We live out in the middle of nowhere and we just like to know who is showing up.

not bad? ITS THE MOST OBVIOUS EFFING THING TO HAVE ON A SIGN, IN YOUR SITUATION!

do you really thing anybody cares about a 'posted' or 'trespassing' sign. c'mon your headed some where you know your going and see a posted sign do you turn around, find service and call dispatch to contact?.

this really is a dumb problem

basic problem solving, put yourself in their situation. how would you react, how would get yourself to react the way you want?

Last edited:
I'd have to do battery powered. Not sure if I could do solar since its heavily wooded. They won't get much light. Any gate or fence would have to be all manual. Unless I lock up the chain I guess.

they will get enough light as long as you arent operating the opener 10-15x a day.

How is opening a gate any more annoying than opening the current chain? :confused:

There's these cool new inventions called "gate openers".. you should google them. (and now I have to google "chain openers") :lmao:

We've had a manually operated gate for 23 years. No big deal. Friends and family know to at least ask if they should close it when they leave. If you are in an area that has snow i would recommend a sliding gate rather than swinging so you dont have to shovel as much.

Drop the chain and drive over it. As opposed to swinging it open. Also, with a swinging gate, I imagine I'll have to do a concrete base or something? Right now I have two 8' railroad ties buried half way into the ground. Not sure if the ties would be able to support a ~20' long gate. Seems like a lot of weight that far out.

We do get a lot of snow. I have a L series Kubota and 9' plow, so its not much to shovel.

Meh. I'll probably just toss a lock on the chain. I wasn't sure if I simply hung a sign asking to contact me first before entering would work.

I'm giving away a swing gate operator and have a gearbox that will facilitate a tracked gate.

https://irate4x4.com/classifieds/free-stuff/33184-old-swing-gate-operator

Thanks, but I don't think an electric setup would work. Its deep woods with very little sunlight for solar. Winter time it may work with all the trees dropping their leaves. Right now its full blown forest. And there's no easy way to get electric out there. Its a little over a quarter mile from the house.

Right now I have two 8' railroad ties buried half way into the ground. Not sure if the ties would be able to support a ~20' long gate. Seems like a lot of weight that far out.

my current green pipe 14' ranch gate is just bolted through a RR tie. Have to tighten up the bolts now and then but otherwise no issues.

If you have a 20' span then put one 10' gate on each post. pin one in the middle. open 1 to drive in and out most of the time, open the other when you need the extra space.

my current green pipe 14' ranch gate is just bolted through a RR tie. Have to tighten up the bolts now and then but otherwise no issues.

If you have a 20' span then put one 10' gate on each post. pin one in the middle. open 1 to drive in and out most of the time, open the other when you need the extra space.

Wow, the tie holds up, huh? Hm, I thought it'd be a bit much. Good to know.

One on each side may work too.

So looks like we scrapped the stupid sign idea. :laughing:

"If you can read this sign, you are within effective engagement distance."
*Bullet holes in sign, splatter of red for good measure*

Sign saying: "Warning - Spike strips hidden in road and moved on daily basis"

If it's as bad as you say it is, then go ahead and lay out and hide spike strips on your road.

Top Back Refresh