What's new

I need a pump that gives good head!!

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
SO here is my project to start. A ghetto pool heater. YES, I had a thread at the other place but I never ended up doing it last summer. I aint going back over there and I never really got what I was looking for anyways.

Here is my yard and pool.

I am going to coil-up two 500' rolls of 3/4" black irrigation poly tubing in parallel on the top of my patio cover. Probably add more over the summer. I need a smallish, QUIET pump that will push the water up there from the pool.

Ideally, I do NOT want a submersible as I don't want to have to take it in and out and run power to it and have a cord always out.

I would love to have a 12v pump with a shitty car battery and solar charger from HF on the deck top where it is out of the way and I don't have to look at it. I could run wires down with the tubing to the pool for a submersible pump but again, a pump on the roof would be more better if I can find one that will self prime at that height. I don't even know if that is possible.

Again, quiet it key. I don't want it to sound like EverDouche is analing himself with his vibrator all day out here.

What you got??

20200603_154826.jpg

Once you get it full of water, the suction from it coming back down will do most the work. Once it's full the pump won't being doing much more than circulation.

Also, thats a lot of weight to put on a shitty patio cover.

Screenshot_20200603-162126_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200603-162107_Chrome.jpg
I was thinking that is a lot of friction loss in 1000' of ¾ poly pipe. This says hose but should be close.

Last edited:
Once you get it full of water, the suction from it coming back down will do most the work. Once it's full the pump won't being doing much more than circulation.

Also, thats a lot of weight to put on a shitty patio cover.

How is it shitty?

I have no idea what all this friction loss means. I guess I do in theory.....resistance and all that but how does effect what I am doing here and a pump choice for me?

I don't know shit about friction loss... but for making the pump quiet check out what they do for generators in RV camp grounds. Several years ago I looked into building a box to quiet the genny... then I sold the travel trailer as we never used it. Anyhow, with something as small as a pump you could even disguise it as a planter box or light at the base of your support beam. Quick Google search found this. https://soundproofguide.com/diy-generator-quiet-box/

This seems like what I want and I like the stashing it in a planter by the support base.

I just need to find this that will self prime to get from the pool to the pump

71bM%2BQNVH1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

SO here is my project to start. A ghetto pool heater. YES, I had a thread at the other place but I never ended up doing it last summer. I aint going back over there and I never really got what I was looking for anyways.

Here is my yard and pool.

I am going to coil-up two 500' rolls of 3/4" black irrigation poly tubing in parallel on the top of my patio cover. Probably add more over the summer. I need a smallish, QUIET pump that will push the water up there from the pool.

Ideally, I do NOT want a submersible as I don't want to have to take it in and out and run power to it and have a cord always out.

I would love to have a 12v pump with a shitty car battery and solar charger from HF on the deck top where it is out of the way and I don't have to look at it. I could run wires down with the tubing to the pool for a submersible pump but again, a pump on the roof would be more better if I can find one that will self prime at that height. I don't even know if that is possible.

Again, quiet it key. I don't want it to sound like EverDouche is analing himself with his vibrator all day out here.

What you got??

It's amazing that that cinder-block aesthetic works in the southwest. Sure if you let it get run down it looks ugly and industrial, but something about it being mostly dirt and rocks out there makes the cinder blocks ok. I like the distressed wood crown, is that a typical decoration on these things?

Cinderblocks ain't worth a shit in a firefight but it's a pretty secure fortress nonetheless.

Also that patio is shaded but the radiation off of the concrete has got to be intense. I'd bet that spot gets up to 130F in the summer. Desert houses should have an 8' awning all the way around them and this entire patio should be covered.

Also stop buying shit from HF you fucking traitor.

I think the shurflo 4048 would do what you’re asking. We use it in our syrup operation and I’m impressed with it. Runs all day on a car battery

Slug them solid, much more bullet resistant.

I wonder if you could pour a sand/clay combo in there and wet it down for a fraction of the price. Should leach bone dry and solid, then a cap on the top to prevent water pouring in to protect it permanently.

I wonder if you could pour a sand/clay combo in there and wet it down for a fraction of the price. Should leach bone dry and solid, then a cap on the top to prevent water pouring in to protect it permanently.

yes.

hell, just sand is cheap and pretty usefull. it doesn't need to be solid solid, just solid enough to slow down the rounds sufficiently.

depends on how long you are planning to hold out for, double cinder blocks full of sand would last for a pretty good long while, but a 3' wide dirt hill would be cheaper and easier and can grow flowers

I think the shurflo 4048 would do what you’re asking. We use it in our syrup operation and I’m impressed with it. Runs all day on a car battery

This looks like it could work although I was trying to stay away from an on-demand pump. HOnestly, not sure how that will work with my application. I basically want it to run when the sun is up off a solar panel continuously. I cant find the head spec on it either but if you use it everyday, you think that it will pump the water up 9-10 feet without issue?

This looks like it could work although I was trying to stay away from an on-demand pump. HOnestly, not sure how that will work with my application. I basically want it to run when the sun is up off a solar panel continuously. I cant find the head spec on it either but if you use it everyday, you think that it will pump the water up 9-10 feet without issue?

The relationship between PSI and feet of head is that 2.31 feet of head = 1 PSI.

It's amazing that that cinder-block aesthetic works in the southwest. Sure if you let it get run down it looks ugly and industrial, but something about it being mostly dirt and rocks out there makes the cinder blocks ok. I like the distressed wood crown, is that a typical decoration on these things?

Cinderblocks ain't worth a shit in a firefight but it's a pretty secure fortress nonetheless.

Also that patio is shaded but the radiation off of the concrete has got to be intense. I'd bet that spot gets up to 130F in the summer. Desert houses should have an 8' awning all the way around them and this entire patio should be covered.

Also stop buying shit from HF you fucking traitor.

Where do you think he lives?

To start the pump,it has to overcome the initial head due to elevation plus pressure edropin the pipe before it goes back down. After that, it has or just overcome the pressure drop because you are returning to where you are starting. So add the elevation plus pressure drop at flow. Should be calculators online. You also need a pump that is self priming.

If you were local, I would galdly give you a 1HP shallow well pump. A long time ago I had a friend that ran his pool filter pump through a long lenght of black tubing. If you doo the math, the cost of pumping water might cost more then the heat you have gained.

To start the pump,it has to overcome the initial head due to elevation plus pressure edropin the pipe before it goes back down. After that, it has or just overcome the pressure drop because you are returning to where you are starting. So add the elevation plus pressure drop at flow. Should be calculators online. You also need a pump that is self priming.

would it be easier to put the pump on the outet/return side or would it not matter at all?

Prime it externally, but once it's full, it seems like it would be easier to draw that way and eject into the low pressure pool rather than push into a lift

would it be easier to put the pump on the outet/return side or would it not matter at all?

Prime it externally, but once it's full, it seems like it would be easier to draw that way and eject into the low pressure pool rather than push into a lift

It still has friction loss on the suction side that will cause cavitation.

Top Back Refresh