What's new

I need a paint stripper that works

gt1guy

Apparently a racist
Member Number
Loc
New Iberia, La.
I need to strip the factory paint of a number of spots on a Jeep frame with the body on. A wire wheel isn't going to reach everywhere. I grabbed some stripper from Lowes a couple days ago and it did fuckall to the paint. Nothing. Nada. Zero.

I hit up Google and it seems the chemical ( methylene chloride) that used to be in paint stripper is no longer in paint stripper.

So, is there a paint stripper that works now days? My next plan is to use fire.

Aircraft stripper is what we used to use. Not sure if they changed that formula though. Has been a few years since we needed to get all the paint off a car.

I've used CRC brand Gasket Remover to remove small areas of paint before. I'm not suggesting it, but I'm bringing it up because I had to let it sit for a good while before I could wipe the paint away. How long did you let it sit?

+1 on that.
last can I got in the prk still worked well.
You gulf folks know about our govt. Here right?!
If it works GOOD you cannot have it.

DOT-3 works, it's slow but it peels paint better than the bullshit "Aircraft stripper" you can buy now. I've heard that body shop suppliers can still get good shit but I haven't tried.

So while waiting for the good stuff to arrive, I plowed ahead with the Lowes crap. I managed to get the spots on the drivers side frame stripped (places for doublers for the sliders and cage tie-ins).....................took the whole quart and I forgot how many applications, at least 6, could have been more. Sad really. I think for the most part I just rubbed off the paint with a wire brush.:mad3:

So while waiting for the good stuff to arrive, I plowed ahead with the Lowes crap. I managed to get the spots on the drivers side frame stripped (places for doublers for the sliders and cage tie-ins).....................took the whole quart and I forgot how many applications, at least 6, could have been more. Sad really. I think for the most part I just rubbed off the paint with a wire brush.:mad3:

how long are you letting it sit on the paint before you go at it with the brush? I'd let it sit for a while, like 30 minutes minimum. Longer if it doesn't just dry out.

how long are you letting it sit on the paint before you go at it with the brush? I'd let it sit for a while, like 30 minutes minimum. Longer if it doesn't just dry out.

The can says 15mins. I'd say that was my minimum. I tried 30mins, an hour, even over night. It seemed to kind of work after multiple coats with 30 or so minutes between them.

This is what it is:

jasco-paint-strippers-removers-qjpr501-64_1000.jpg

I figured if it could remove epoxy, it shouldn't suck. But the last time I had used paint stripper years ago, it was a case of brushing it on, watching it start bubbling in minutes and pretty much game over for the paint after that. The pictured is not that stuff at all. It doesn't even make retarded babies in Cali.

What Asin linked to should make retarded babies in Cali, that's what I want.

huh. must just be garbage stripper then. haha! Or maybe some of them only work well for certain styles of paint?

Warnings are probably a good sign, for this type of product :lmao:

This shit we had in the navy would take an 1/8 inch of enamel paint off metal in a matter of minutes. It would start bubbling and the paint would literally fall off in places.

zip strip industrial is still all the mek.

I used it to strip clearcoat from bmw wheels.

slowly.
urethne clearcoat is no fucking joke on chemical resistance.

For the record if you want to make the shitty stripper work (well, a little better at least) you need to put it on heavy, then immediately cover it with a transparent plastic (painters sheeting works most of the time, seems to not really react with it, clear garbage bags sometimes work too) and then put a high power lamp(s) right next to it to heat it up. The plastic stops it from being able to flash off and dry out, and the heat makes it work.

You can also make good stripper work even better doing this.

The Kleen-Strip aircraft paint remover worked like a champ. Has a delightful smell of nose hair burning ammonia.

Methylene Chloride has been outlawed. Because some jackass decides to use it in an enclosed bathroom and died. If you can still find a stripper with it, snag it. It wont be around forever.

We had to source another stripper to sell at work. Crown Packaging makes one called STRP. In 5 minutes, the original paint on a 1974 valve cover bubbled up and was easily scraped away. It does still have a pungent aroma and gets you a bit nauseous.

MEK is NOT the same as Methylene Chloride. MEK is Metyl-Ethyl Keytones. It can still be bought and works quite well on most finishes. But it evaporates very fast, like acetone, so work time is short.

Yes that is the stuff, works really well, but keep in mind do not store that stuff anywhere over / above anything you value nor attempt to keep it on hand for any length of time as the stuff eats the can out from the inside and has no shelf life of what you might expect.

That's what the stuff Aisin linked to is. And what I bought to replace the Jasco stuff.

Top Back Refresh