What's new

I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious

ProjectTwin

Member Number
Been busy as shit lately. Working until 1-3 in the morning and getting back up at 7-8 to start all over again. Made a decent amount of money lately.

Bought a CNC last week. It was delivered Thursday. I assembled it Thursday night, moved it out of the way so I could work through the day Friday, and decided to give it a home on Saturday.

The gnome came to the shop Saturday. I was already in the process of building a storage rack/cabinet for the CNC. He jumped in to help. :laughing:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Installed a LED light that I took out of the old lathe station.

Below is a time-lapse of a test cut on a baffle for a sub enclosure. I have a deal with a local shop to build enclosures for their brand of subwoofers (Sinful Sounds) so I measured T/S parameters and designed an enclosure.

Since the baffle is 36" long and I have a cut area of 31" x 31", I cut the two subwoofer cutouts in one program then flipped the baffle and ran the 2nd program that cuts the slot port.

The plan is to load the sub cutout program, run it for all of the baffles in the batch, then load the slot port program and cut all the slot ports. Just a matter of swapping material in and clicking "run program".

Last edited:
When I saw that beard, I thought you were gonna make some duck calls :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Looking forward to seeing some cool shit you end up making with that.

How much was it by the way?

When I saw that beard, I thought you were gonna make some duck calls :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Looking forward to seeing some cool shit you end up making with that.

How much was it by the way?

The size I got was $2,050 with the router included. I could've used the DeWalt trim router I have, but the minimum speed on it is 16,000 RPM. This one has a minimum of 10,000.

https://carbide3d.com/shapeoko/

Take some more per pass, or you're going to be there for days cutting anything complicated.

Take some more per pass, or you're going to be there for days cutting anything complicated.

I ran a program with over 100,000 lines of code. Hour and a half.

This baffle took about 16 minutes.

The feeds and speeds are based on material and bit diameter. The default depth of cut is half the cutter diameter per pass. This is a 1/4" end mill.

I'm fine with it for now. I'll see about ramping up the feed/speed when I run batches of parts. This was the test run to check the baffle design I drew up.

Tomorrow I'll pop out the rest of the order and get some enclosures thrown together.

You should be able to cut 1x the diameter at least. With a 1/8 bit I cut .20-.25 per pass in hardwood plywood. Your machine is going to lack some stiffness, just slow it down a bit.

Yeah you should be able to cut way faster than that. Keep us updated! Your projects are very cool!

You should be able to cut 1x the diameter at least. With a 1/8 bit I cut .20-.25 per pass in hardwood plywood. Your machine is going to lack some stiffness, just slow it down a bit.

Yup, just using the defaults for now.

There's A LOT that I'd like to get done for this thing. Walls/windows, better dust collection than a damn Shop-Vac, more bits, and so on...

But for now it's making money. :smokin:

It'll pay for itself in about a week. :grinpimp:

That's pretty rad. I was thinking I need to buy a jigsaw to make some speaker spacer rings. Want some paid practice? :grinpimp:

It'll pay for itself in about a week. :grinpimp:

That is a good sign!

Use the defaults till you know what you can get away with. MDF is pretty forgiving. Just stock up a lot on Bits. Nothing worse than the sound of your last bit going "PING" as it breaks on a Sunday night when the stores are closed.

That is a good sign!

Use the defaults till you know what you can get away with. MDF is pretty forgiving. Just stock up a lot on Bits. Nothing worse than the sound of your last bit going "PING" as it breaks on a Sunday night when the stores are closed.

Especially if you're trying to make $$$ with it. Downtime has a cost.

Shop is looking great J. In your layered enclosures do you ever mix wood of different density? Some high end home hi-fi mfgs are doing that as a way to control resonances.

Top Back Refresh