What's new

I copied rockyota83's lumber/ladder rack

[486]

smells things
Member Number
Loc
pine city MN
somewhat, mine's a bit different because I've got less of a brodozer brush guard, and a flatbed to work with rather than a service body
apparently it started out 6-21-21, been holding out on you guys a while lol
made a couple spuds for the front
20210621_162234.jpeg

downright stock appearing
shitty pics I guess, this was when it was still just digging in my basement, way long ago lol
20210621_174555.jpeg

skip ahead a bit and I finally got around to scabbing together more of it
20220813_193420.jpeg

20220813_193434.jpeg

20220825_161326.jpeg

20220825_161345.jpeg

ran outta paint so it isn't all black, but you get the idea
gonna also have another bit to the rear that slides on the channel above the cab, have feet that rest on the flatbed so I'll be able to slide it back and have a rack that's iirc like 18' long or thereabouts
channels above the cab are lower for forklift clearance
triangulation is very subdued mostly because it'd impede the hood opening if I went more overboard with it, already keeps it from opening all the way

uprights are 2x2 .187 wall
horizontals are 2x2 .250 wall
longitudinal thingies are 3" standard weight channel
prolly gonna cap the ends on the midship cross bar same as the front one
rear bar (not made yet) will have its legs at framerail width, with 1/2" pins poking down into 5/8" holes in the deck so it won't skid around on the steel flatbed

Here's the one I somewhat copied:
20180430_110353.jpeg

Sexy. Full length racks are the best. I wish I could carry more up front like that and keep my bed open

my bumper is not brodozer :flipoff2: its 100% ugly killdozer :grinpimp:
I do really like the fender and service box guards. Might clone them when it eventually comes time to do "rust repair"
so far mine's been staying extremely clean for a 30yo truck that's never once been parked inside, but I know that damn well won't last forever
Sexy. Full length racks are the best. I wish I could carry more up front like that and keep my bed open
TIB front is actually already overweight when empty
I don't know how they managed to rate it that retardedly but...
I just ignore the door tag. I know for a fact I've had it over 20k and it was perfectly happy to make smoke come outta the brakes, tires were 15 years old at the time too, and they've made it to where they can now vote.
Still great tread on them but I don't trust their load carrying capabilities any more :\

bump in the night

thinking about doing similar to all this for the farm truck. any other full length rack builds out there? anybody regret taking the time to make the uprights removeable?

bump in the night

thinking about doing similar to all this for the farm truck. any other full length rack builds out there? anybody regret taking the time to make the uprights removeable?
after driving it around I can see why a lot of the racks have the uprights out front at an angle pinched in to frame rail width at the bottom

with them straight vertical from the frame horns the square tube is right in front of you blocking like one eye's worth of your sight line and it is annoying as hell

after driving it around I can see why a lot of the racks have the uprights out front at an angle pinched in to frame rail width at the bottom

with them straight vertical from the frame horns the square tube is right in front of you blocking like one eye's worth of your sight line and it is annoying as hell
that makes sense

Valuable info right there.

I've got a weld it yerself front bumper for the ferd from backdoorfab that I'm gonna add a removable front rack portion to, mostly to hold my tinny so I can load dirtbikes, boat, and tow the caravan. I'll have to do some considering on where edzachary to put those.

Valuable info right there.

I've got a weld it yerself front bumper for the ferd from backdoorfab that I'm gonna add a removable front rack portion to, mostly to hold my tinny so I can load dirtbikes, boat, and tow the caravan. I'll have to do some considering on where edzachary to put those.
if your bumper is heavy enough to put them all the way out at the corner, then straight vertical might work out okay, but I gotta think that angled is less... Geometrically blocking? You can sorta kinda see things past it as it moves along through your field of view, rather than having maybe some motorcyclist end up exactly blocked by the bar as you're coming up on them.

bump in the night

When are you gonna update the engine rebuild thread? :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh