What's new

Hydroboost Fluid vs Power Steering Fluid?

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
Someone school me on this since my knowledge level is zero. I picked up an older motorhome that has a hydroboost system- the power steering, brake booster, and windshield wipers are all connected and run off the same system. I'm looking to swap out my steering gear and so will need to refill and bleed the whole thing somehow. My first impulse was to use regular old power steering fluid, but I started doing some reading and I see a lot of people talking about "hydroboost fluid", and even found one guy saying that using regular PS fluid will cause a problem. When I google this, I just get back a bunch of results for PS fluid. What does the irate brain trust suggest?

Last motor home I had was the same system, I always used ATF and never had a problem.

This... at work the only reason we even keep P/S fluid is to top off systems that have it in there and are low. Otherwise it gets flushed out with ATF and then refilled with ATF and it's good to go. You'll notice no difference in the summer, and it'll work better in the winter. Also, since ATF is high detergent, the system will stay cleaner. My '91 V2500 'Burb has hydroboost and is filled with ATF and works like a champ...

hydroboost fluid ? :laughing: let me guess; that same person also suggested you run thornbirds as steer tires for maximum motorhome awesomeness :smokin:

Ha! I haven't asked for more detail, but this is the first time I've had anything that runs windshield wipers off of the same thing as power steering, so i thought maybe I was the retard in the exchange somehow.

The 66 lincoln i worked on last year had hydro wipers
Want to pain in the dick to get that shit system bled and funtioning.

Does the system have clutches? No. Then shove whatever cheap dex/merc you want in it.

Fill it with ATF and watch the world burn.

For bonus points toss a coin to determine if you're gonna buy Dextron or Mercon and then ignore the result and buy the cheapest multi-vehicle Dex/Merc that Walmart has on the shelf anyway. :laughing:

The 66 lincoln i worked on last year had hydro wipers
Want to pain in the dick to get that shit system bled and funtioning.

Says the guy who's mind if blown by such innovations as ball joints, high pinion axles, coil springs and more than one bell-housing bolt pattern. Sometimes Ford stuff is more complicated than it needs to be but I don't think I'm gonna listen to the boy who's always crying wolf.

:flipoff2:

For bonus points toss a coin to determine if you're gonna buy Dextron or Mercon and then ignore the result and buy the cheapest multi-vehicle Dex/Merc that Walmart has on the shelf anyway. :laughing:

maxlife all the things.

at $18 a gallon that's my plan.
but for real, it seems to agree with my 160K mile 6L45.

Top Back Refresh