What's new

Hydro steering and v belt

RobC

Member Number
Loc
St. Louis Mo
Am I wasting my time trying to do hydro steering with a v belt pump? Never had good luck with v belts before. My cj5 always threw the damn power steering belt off so it has me questioning trying to run full hydro with it.

I run a v belt on mine. Single belt off the crank pulley to the pump pulley. Haven’t had an issue with it yet.

Every V-belt I've thrown or flipped was due to an alignment issue (often caused by me :laughing: ).
I have an issue now where water crossings throw my serpentine belt, so they're not flawless.
Flanged pulleys should fix my serp. issue, but I'd trust a properly aligned & tensioned V-belt any day.

Every V-belt I've thrown or flipped was due to an alignment issue (often caused by me :laughing: ).
I have an issue now where water crossings throw my serpentine belt, so they're not flawless.
Flanged pulleys should fix my serp. issue, but I'd trust a properly aligned & tensioned V-belt any day.

The Jeep I had, I messed with the alignment a fair amount, looked all good but still threw it. Who knows. Hopefully this works better this time around.

you can do the math and find out how much HP your pump is wanting to take, and then figure out your belt size and wrap percent and shit.....or just run it, keep things lined up and go for at least 1/4 of the pulley wrapped

I run hydro assist and hydro boost brakes. Not same I am sure. I found that using a jack to tighten the belt cured squealing.

I had full hydro on the Samurai. I too had an alignment issue and it would throw it off. Threw some shims on the mount and it was fine. v-belt too. I was only rocking the 1.3 too, so that may have helped.

I over-thought the belt-thing and listened to the counter-monkey and went with a "premium: Gates fabric wrapped POS....I'd sling it 5x a week.....I bought a cheap-crap no-name belt and it is still on there after 5+ yrs...and the pulley is a bent one too.

Top Back Refresh