What's new

Hydro assist steering, where to mount bigger power steering reservoir?

Rennat_2006

Member Number
Loc
Idaho
Finally setting up my hydro assist cylinder and I see on most rigs they also upgrade to a bigger reservoir. Currently I'm running a power steering pump off of a duramax truck, drilled and tapped astro van box, and a 6" PSC cylinder. Factory reservoir off the back of the stock 4.3l pump with the extended fill neck that puts the cap up by the ac compressor. I'm planning on replacing the factory power steering cooler with as big as one as I can fit behind the grill.

do I need to upgrade to a bigger reservoir?
any ideas where to mount the damn thing? I burnt up about any decent sized spot under the hood with the OBA compressor and accessories.

photo11802.jpg

Extended fill neck and big cooler should be enough for most cases I think. I ran that kind of setup for years with sbc, k5 blazer and hyd.assist.. After ls swap I used c5 vette pump and its small plastic reservoir, again for years. Now I built big reservoir, but it was mostly for peace of mind.. If you really want more fluid capacity, you could try to make the fill neck as long as possible, also maybe bigger diameter. Just mount and support it properly that it doesn't fall of because of added weight.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I will give it a try as is and see how it works. Damn s10's dont give you shit for room.

The only way I could figure out to mount mine was to lose the airbox, use a cone filter, and mount the reservoir to the radiator support. It's not ideal to not have an airbox, but it seems to work fine. At some point, I'll probably build a smaller airbox to fit the filter I'm using, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

20190920_130230.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20190920_130230.jpg Views:	0 Size:	314.5 KB ID:	67415

Last edited:
photo36234.jpg
photo36235.jpg
That's ^^^ where I put mine, but I've got a bit more room to work with. If you've got a big reservoir and want a short, straight run into the pump, there aren't a whole lot of choices.

EDIT: I just noticed this is a five month old post. Well, what do you expect from a noob...?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only way I could figure out to mount mine was to lose the airbox, use a cone filter, and mount the reservoir to the radiator support. It's not ideal to not have an airbox, but it seems to work fine. At some point, I'll probably build a smaller airbox to fit the filter I'm using, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I ditched the factory washer reservoir and used a small universal one, and combined with losing the airbox and going with a cone left just enough room for a larger remote reservoir in my S10

How big are your guys reservoirs? Im wondering just how much extra fluid i need.

I had to go back to the other place to see your build, and I found that you put an air compressor up where the ABS used to be. If I were you, I'd move that under the body somewhere, and move the fuse box there. That will leave you the center of the wheelwell for the reservoir. That's my plan anyway.

I had to go back to the other place to see your build, and I found that you put an air compressor up where the ABS used to be. If I were you, I'd move that under the body somewhere, and move the fuse box there. That will leave you the center of the wheelwell for the reservoir. That's my plan anyway.

I will take a look at that, not sure how much of a pita it would be to move the fuse box to that space but putting the reservoir where the compressor is may work.

Top Back Refresh