What's new

Hydraulic Quick Couplings?

300sniper

Gun Plumber
Member Number
Loc
Greenwood, CA
Are there hydraulic quick couplings where the male side doesn’t have a valve, or is free flow like an air coupling? It’s not going to kill me if the boy end closes when disconnected, but I’d prefer it drained. The girl side absolutely needs to shut off.

If not, what’s the most common 1/2” quick coupling? I’ll be maxing out at 500psi,

I've used open couplings in the past (and love dry break couplings) but I don't think the 2 styles are compatible - pretty sure the 2 dry-break halves open each other via the center spud.

That^ may not help you, but how 'bout this? Get an extra female coupler to drain the male-ended line when disconnected.

Well, I'm aroused.

To be fair, you could discharge the male-end pressure by holding it tip-to-tip with another male end, but I'd almost rather use my hand.
Really, using a female-end coupler is the most efficient and effective way to drain that male fluid pressure, and it just seems . . . natural.

^^^ speaking entirely in mechanical terms there, but if you take it as biological . . . fuck it, the statements stand as-is :laughing:

Have a few but they are all closed..

Ill locate them and the post up a pic if you are in the market.

Are there hydraulic quick couplings where the male side doesn’t have a valve, or is free flow like an air coupling? It’s not going to kill me if the boy end closes when disconnected, but I’d prefer it drained. The girl side absolutely needs to shut off.

If not, what’s the most common 1/2” quick coupling? I’ll be maxing out at 500psi,

Last edited:
If this is for AG equipment planter vacuum motors use a male tip with 6 holes so that if it wasn't hooked up it couldn't blow the seals out of the hydraulic motor.

images.jpeg

I've used open couplings in the past (and love dry break couplings) but I don't think the 2 styles are compatible - pretty sure the 2 dry-break halves open each other via the center spud.

That^ may not help you, but how 'bout this? Get an extra female coupler to drain the male-ended line when disconnected.

It’ll drain on its own because the other end is open. I just like to blow compressed air through the male part when it gets disconnected.

What you using it for? If you want a open male end you’ll prolly have to use a air style quick connect.

The most common quick coupler would be the pioneer 1/2”. You can get them at any good farm store.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pioneer-quick-coupling-1-2-in-double-acting-sleeve-set

It hooks up the coolant to barrels I am chambering in the lathe. I’m been using an air coupling for years trouble free but I’m about to bump the pressure up towards 500psi.

The ones you linked should work. I wonder if there’s no pressure behind it, if I could push that ball in on the male side with an air nozzle to blow it out?

It hooks up the coolant to barrels I am chambering in the lathe. I’m been using an air coupling for years trouble free but I’m about to bump the pressure up towards 500psi.

The ones you linked should work. I wonder if there’s no pressure behind it, if I could push that ball in on the male side with an air nozzle to blow it out?

or buy two females, and then make a female to air chuck adapter hose.

There are flat faced QC that are designed to connect with some back pressure on the lines. Flat face QC are designed to be less restrictive flow vs ball or poppet style couplers.

Why? If you shut down a vehicle that is running hydraulics and actuate the valve (ignition on for solenoids) the pressure will equalize and youll be ok
https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...caAs8qEALw_wcB
this is the style i use.
Some pieces of equipemnt actually have a valve in their base that allows you to leave on the line after pressure has been removed that will release pressure (bobcat for instance)

You have cnc lathe use the pioneer couplings. Make a male end like oddtech posted to fit it. Take a video for us!

Just use regular name brand industrial/milton air quick disconnects. They'll handle 500psi of oil just fine. Most of them are rated to 300psi of air and compressible gas safety factors are pretty high.

swagelok has the style of fitting you're talking about, rated beyond what you're needing, but it's going to be expensive and oddball from a hardware store standpoint. They have compatible fittings that can be ordered with or without lockoff valve. I've got a bunch of the 1/4" versions of these at work that do exactly as you are wanting.
https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/...b=productTabs&

Edit: Prices aren't actually as bad as I thought. If you find a part number that works, punch it into google and see if radwell or ebay has it. Most of those are in the $35 range on the intertoobs.

Last edited:
I looked at those, but I think both ends are always open. I need the female side to close when disconnected.

Thats not how my pressure washer fittings work or any that ive seen or used. Male (gun side) is always open, female is a QD that looks similar to an air hose chuck and seals when removed. That should be exactly what you are looking for. No?

416PwVYN23L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Thats not how my pressure washer fittings work or any that ive seen or used. Male (gun side) is always open, female is a QD that looks similar to an air hose chuck and seals when removed. That should be exactly what you are looking for. No?

Yes the male is open but not the female, I have never had one that would seal the female when disconnected.

Yes the male is open but not the female, I have never had one that would seal the female when disconnected.

Now I'm going to have to go to my shop and look at our pressure washer to make sure I'm not a liar. I swear it seals when disconnected from the gun....... Or I'm just stupid.

:homer:

Now I'm going to have to go to my shop and look at our pressure washer to make sure I'm not a liar. I swear it seals when disconnected from the gun....... Or I'm just stupid.

:homer:

The good news is we can both be right haha.
I would say most don't but yours might, my two hoses and fitting on pump itself don't.

Top Back Refresh