What's new

Hydraulic pressure skin piercing

I’ve seen the atomized fog explosion/fire leak, but not the puncture wound.
I've wondered about that one
my jackhammer compressor puts out enough oil that I gotta wear a respirator and even then it hurts my lungs
guess an oil separator is on the "shorter" list of things to do

My old boss took a hydraulic injection to the middle finger on his right hand from a cracked fitting on a concrete pump....the hospital had to flay his finger open like a fish and wring the fluid out like a rag......it did heal after a few years kinda.....but in the end he wishes they had just amputated it.

Dad used to tell a story about a steam leak on a Navy boiler in Vietnam. Cracked fitting. The guy who discovered it waved a broomstick across the stream (point blank) and it cut the handle off. Apparently, the mechanics showed their friends a number of times before fixing it.

Dad used to tell a story about a steam leak on a Navy boiler in Vietnam. Cracked fitting. The guy who discovered it waved a broomstick across the stream (point blank) and it cut the handle off. Apparently, the mechanics showed their friends a number of times before fixing it.
My dad spoke of similar experiences with broom handles and other things. As almost all of them smoked (their 'C' rations came with a carton of camels) they'd either use cigarettes or cigarette paper to find the small leaks as they would turn brown and smoke pretty easy and not burn a hole through your skin. He told me several stories of the dangers of superheated steam (which didn't make any sense to me until the old man explained it)

Way real. For waterjet training, they showed the aftermath of of an injection. IIRC the arm was amputated due to how much crap was injected into the local tissue.
What?!? I’d like to see the story behind that one but knowing idiots it doesn’t surprise me at all. Pushing 35,000 to 60,000 plus pending on tables ain’t no joke.

Hydraulic hoses in areas of concern or exposed to people typically have a cordoba wrap on them. This prevents fluid from shooting out in a stream. I’ve no doubt it’s real and have no reason to test that theory. Compressed air can fuck people up and even kill, like the one guy working in a shop where a coworker blew his air gun at his asshole and killed him. Imagine what it must’ve been like at that guys funeral.

A normal home gamer 3k pressure washer with the red tip will take off a few layers of skin but won't pierce the flesh unless you hold it there. Put a .030" pin hole tip on it and you're in for a bad time doing the same thing. Pressure goes up with restriction but volume goes down so it's only dangerous within inches.

I don't know what size tip, but with flip flops it flat layed a ragged flap open on the top of this guys foot. He mentioned it was somewhat of unpleasant experience :laughing:.

I'm always careful around anything with enough pressure to inject into my skin. A hydraulic oil injection doesn't sound like fun.

Hydraulic hoses in areas of concern or exposed to people typically have a cordoba wrap on them. This prevents fluid from shooting out in a stream.
. . . unless the abrasion sleeve and the hose are worn through by abrasion. Then pinhole --> clear shot at the world.

Provience - the warnings are the same as when you said ~don't stick 220 wires in your mouth. Hydraulic lines are like electrical wiring in that respect: know where the energy potential is, and keep it the fuck outta' you unless you want a great stupid story of regret.

I've wondered about that one
my jackhammer compressor puts out enough oil that I gotta wear a respirator and even then it hurts my lungs
guess an oil separator is on the "shorter" list of things to do
Your oil is being vaporized and mixed with 150?psi air and very different from 10k psi hydraulics with a small leak atomizing. Similar to a dust explosion is the best I can describe it.

Your oil is being vaporized and mixed with 150?psi air and very different from 10k psi hydraulics with a small leak atomizing. Similar to a dust explosion is the best I can describe it.
either way, its in the air in a fine enough droplet size that it is getting through a p100 filter, could see that being an FAE waiting to happen

Dickbutts disconnect implements all the time on a pressurized system. When that happens, you gotta slam the connector ball thing at the end of the hose against something hard the get it to pop so the quick connect will receive it.

When you finally get it to pop, you better not have your hand in the way. I've taken a shot to the thigh from a foot away through jeans and it was enough to make me say shitfuckdamn.

Hydros are one of those things you just don't fuck around with.

Definitely real and definitely dangerous. I've never seen anyone injured first hand but have seen a number of images during training and that shit is nasty as fuck.
I've come across a few pin holes over the years normally in hard lines caused by localised corrosion.
Danger depends not only on pressure but flow rate as well. I've personally had a newly fabbed pipe I was pressure testing fail at 10k psi but the test rig was a static system so other than the oil in the pre bled pipe there wasn't much oil released. Our dynamic system on the other hand could happily push up to 6000psi at 10 gallons per minute. One of the other guys had a leak at 4500psi/6gpm and it pretty much instantly filled the rig room with atomized oil. The safety man (outside the rig room) had to hit the emergency stop and drag the guy out of the room. The oil cloud left everything in the rig room and the clean room next door covered in oil.

The old farmhand from the place my mother grew up on had a thumb that ended with a sharp boney point. Hydraulic leak on a tractor. Put his thumb over it to try and get enough pressure to lift a carry-all. Got back to the house with a tennis ball sized thumb full of oil. It had to be opened up and eventually healed but not before lots of it just died away.

Definitely real and definitely dangerous. I've never seen anyone injured first hand but have seen a number of images during training and that shit is nasty as fuck.
I've come across a few pin holes over the years normally in hard lines caused by localised corrosion.
Danger depends not only on pressure but flow rate as well. I've personally had a newly fabbed pipe I was pressure testing fail at 10k psi but the test rig was a static system so other than the oil in the pre bled pipe there wasn't much oil released. Our dynamic system on the other hand could happily push up to 6000psi at 10 gallons per minute. One of the other guys had a leak at 4500psi/6gpm and it pretty much instantly filled the rig room with atomized oil. The safety man (outside the rig room) had to hit the emergency stop and drag the guy out of the room. The oil cloud left everything in the rig room and the clean room next door covered in oil.
That guy is lucky the safety man pulled him out. Imagine breathing in atomized oil in an enclosed space. :eek:

Like everything else that people on the internet circle jerk about it is real but massively overblown.

As others have said it requires very specific conditions that are rarely encountered except by the kind of people who deserve to pay the stupid tax.

Our dynamic system on the other hand could happily push up to 6000psi at 10 gallons per minute. One of the other guys had a leak at 4500psi/6gpm and it pretty much instantly filled the rig room with atomized oil. The safety man (outside the rig room) had to hit the emergency stop and drag the guy out of the room. The oil cloud left everything in the rig room and the clean room next door covered in oil.
I've seen the aftermath of a cracked sight glass on a lowish pressure (150PSI?) oil line, it completely coated a 20x60x30 room in oil in only a few minutes.

Aaron Z

That guy is lucky the safety man pulled him out. Imagine breathing in atomized oil in an enclosed space. :eek:
The room was about a 10'x15' work space with the test rig built into one wall. The doors had to be kept shut when the rig was in use for safety but during the leak check process you had a safety man outside in case SHTF and that incident was a timely reminder of exactly why. Luckily the oil we used was the relatively benign OM15 instead of Skydrol cos that shit will straight fuck you up.

Real? Fake? Otherwise?

Let's say 5k psi max operating, can a pinhole cut skin?

2.5k psi operating?

What does it take, and do those hoses ever rupture or fail in a way to make a pinhole last more than a moment?
We had a injection of grease to a lube truck tech 2 years ago.

Not good, absolutely real but very situation dependent.

Never touch under pressure.
Only visual leak detection.

Guy I know was greasing a machine but it wouldn't take any grease. Got his little hammer out of his bag and pecked on the zerk a couple times thinking the ball was stuck.

Ball came out and hit him in the palm of the hand, followed by some amount of grease.

They flayed his arm open, in a big meandering line, up past his elbow to scrape the grease out.

I haven't heard from him in a few years, but it took a long time to heal, and he lost a lot of muscle mass in that forearm.

No clue how much pressure the line had in it when it happened, but it was a manual grease gun.

IIRC a manual grease gun can get up to 10k PSI.

Aaron Z
I dunno dude, my lever operated one does not have any sort of relief valve, and you can put some real big force on it
I don't got a 10k psi gauge, but I'd bet on it going that high just from the amount of lever arm and force on that little tiny piston

I dunno dude, my lever operated one does not have any sort of relief valve, and you can put some real big force on it
I don't got a 10k psi gauge, but I'd bet on it going that high just from the amount of lever arm and force on that little tiny piston
Took a quick look and a Lincoln 1147 is rated for 10k psi: https://www.grainger.com/product/LINCOLN-Lever-Grease-Gun-6Y892
Some others were rated for 4500psi, but most said 10k psi.

Aaron Z

When we had pinhole leaks on our 600psi steam system, you could hear them but not see them. We used broomsticks and waved them around until it cut the broomsticks apart.....
The bigger leaks were a bit more obvious....😆 and sounded louder than a fighter jet....

Psi is psi..... a lot of it will hurt you....

Top Back Refresh