What's new

HX35 Turbos

Baconator

Member Number
I have a Komatsu Wheel loader with a Komatsu 6.7L, I believe Cummins and Komatsu have a license agreement for Komatsu to build their 6.7L under their name, because it looks identical to a Cummins 6.7.
Anyway I pulled the air cleaner/intake hose off to get to the valve cover to adjust the valves. I noticed the inlet of the Turbo is trashed, looks like something went through it.
Komatsu wants about $2k for a new turbo, its just an HX35. My question is will any HX35 do? Or are there internal differences with them?

photo32103.jpg

Iirc there are a few different HX35s Pop the housings off and measure the wheels will be the best way to tell

See if you can find a replacement cartridge. And new wheels are cheap.

I think the whole thing is fucked, wheel and inlet housing are junk. The wheel is seized onto the shaft, Ive tried everything I can think of to get it off, Im at the point its going to need to be cut off now. Ive found a new replacement for $950, but no idea when it would arrive here. I was getting this thing ready for a job monday, looks like it will be ready a week from monday now.

Should be able to cross reference the numbers on it but if not I'd just pull it apart and measure it and order another of the appropriate size

You should be able to pull it apart and get new wheels/rotating assembly and maybe even the cartridge. I've done a few they aren't too bad just need a good set of snap ring pliers, don't quote me but I think the majority of cheap rebuild kits would work, seals and bearings should all be standard even if wheels are different.

if it is wastegated, or just plain old fixed geometry just pull it off and look inside the turbine inlet ports
you'll find a number, that is the volute size

just get anything with the same flange and volute size, it'll work good enough
also, if it is wastegated you don't need to be nearly as exact with the sizing of the new one so long as you toss a gauge on it and make sure it's making "stock-like" levels of boost so the ECU doesn't have a bitch fit

ETA: that mammajamma has a milled wheel on it, that's some real fancy shit for supposedly "an hx35"

Quick Google shows that komatsu and cummins did some type of partnership with that 6.7, and it does use a version of hx35 on the equipment. Obviously the trucks use a totally different variable vane turbo. I also found the hx35s for $700-900 :flipoff2:

[486 said:
;n196187]

ETA: that mammajamma has a milled wheel on it, that's some real fancy shit for supposedly "an hx35"

I know, sure doesnt look like a stock compressor wheel, some type of billet wheel.
Maybe someone rebuilt it in the past and upgraded it, but forgot to remove their tools from the intake?

I know, sure doesnt look like a stock compressor wheel, some type of billet wheel.
Maybe someone rebuilt it in the past and upgraded it, but forgot to remove their tools from the intake?

probably stock application, just very low production shit
like how all the BW k31s got them despite having no special features to them whatsoever
takes a lot of doing to set up to cast a wheel, doesn't pay unless you're making a brasillion of them

[486 said:
;n196341]still no fuckin' part number

Can buy one here for $925
https://www.mddistributorsstore.com/holset/4033282h/new-turbocharger#!cross_reference

I ordered up a compressor wheel, turbine wheel and rebuild kit for it, should have parts on Tuesday. Cant seem to find a compressor housing for it, all my searching turns up results for HX40 upgrade housings.
I found a few used HX30 Dodge Cummins take offs, which is why I was asking whether they were all the same. My compressor wheel is 78mm which is different from the 5.9L cummins Ive found parts for .

Cant seem to find a compressor housing for it

don't worry about the pits, they aren't hurting anything
just knock any sharp edges off with 120 grit when you've got it apart, don't go overboard and make the clearance from the compressor to the housing too far oversize by trying to make it all pretty

piecemeal balancing kind of sucks so don't expect it to last forever, always best to get a cartridge as an assembly that's been balanced, with a balanced shaft set as a 'second best'

Compressor Wheel: 3599649 (4035699)(Ind. 53.91 mm, Exd. 78 mm, Trim 5.09, 7+7 Blades)
Turbine Wheel: 3519336 (3595832)(Ind. 70 mm, Exd. 60 mm, 12 Blades)(1152301435)

is what china has to say about dimensions
I'd try and find some application with the 70/60 turbine wheel and then just get a whole used turbo to stick onto your turbine housing
compressor side plumbing is dirt simple no matter what you get

Top Back Refresh