What's new

Hunting pistols

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Anyone use a pistol for deer or hog hunting? Revolver, semi-auto, single shot, etc., I would like to see your setup.

I’ve been looking at the G40 Gen4 MOS for a while, but haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger.

I’ve also been looking at revolvers in the .357, .44, .454 Casull flavors.

Have a glock 40. Never used it for hunting. It's very controllable when shooting. Been happy with the accuracy. Not small or light, but nothing in the hunting handgun category is.

I have used my Smith and wesson 460 for hunting. It's basically a handgun 45-70. Carried it cross draw on the chest. Was easier toget over logs and through brush with it than a rifle. The 460 is very versatile you can shoot 45 long colt, 454 casual, or 460 out of it. 460 is expensive, but so is 454. You don't want to shoot without hearing protection. Doubled up if you can.

A 44mag out of a carbine length barrel will do a number on a small elk or deer.
20220527_211820.jpg

Lone Eagle in .357 Rem Max 14-inch barrel. Have never taken it hunting yet. When I did load development it could keep 3-shots within an inch at 100 yards off of bags with Speer 180g Hot Core and H110. Maybe year after next I'll get my chance at White tail.

Stepdad harvested a couple of deer with a TC Contender chambered in 30-30 Win. For what he had in that TC he could have bought a herd of deer. He also used to do silhouette comps with it. Personally, hunting is difficult enough using a rifle...

I had an encore rifle for a while, and started to go down the rabbit hole of buying barrels for it. Ended up selling it when boredom set it. Not sure I want to go down that road with a pistol frame.

I’ve used a 7.5” Ruger super Blackhawk .44 mag for hog. Local public hunting area is a scrubby mess and doesn’t usually have more than 75 yards of visibility. Not that I’m taking shots that far. It works well for what I do.

I’ve looked at bringing the Glock 20C instead, but end up packing the .44 along every time. If I get the G40 it would have a much better chance of making the trip.

Have a 44mag 4 5/8" super blackhawk that I swapped over to a bisley. Its cheaper and alot more fun than the 17hmr on digger squirrels. I wanna roll a buck with it. But have a hard time leaving the 243 at home

Last edited:
Have a glock 40. Never used it for hunting. It's very controllable when shooting. Been happy with the accuracy. Not small or light, but nothing in the hunting handgun category is.

I have used my Smith and wesson 460 for hunting. It's basically a handgun 45-70. Carried it cross draw on the chest. Was easier toget over logs and through brush with it than a rifle. The 460 is very versatile you can shoot 45 long colt, 454 casual, or 460 out of it. 460 is expensive, but so is 454. You don't want to shoot without hearing protection. Doubled up if you can.

A 44mag out of a carbine length barrel will do a number on a small elk or deer.
20220527_211820.jpg
Video cell of me shooting a 460 with an 8" barrel. I've shot .454's that were worse, recoil wise.

S&W 460.jpg

Roc doc, the recoil isn't bad at all. It's a heavy pistol. The fireball and the noise- concussion are substantial.
It's fun to shoot, not something I take to the range all the time. Full power loads hit with authority.
Will definitely take down an elk with decent shot placement.

Lone Eagle in .357 Rem Max 14-inch barrel. Have never taken it hunting yet. When I did load development it could keep 3-shots within an inch at 100 yards off of bags with Speer 180g Hot Core and H110. Maybe year after next I'll get my chance at White tail.
What are factory loads and brass worth for the Maximum now?

I really don't know and haven't purchased but a single box of factory Remington back in 98' when I bought the weapon. I haven't hand loaded any either in a decade or so. I think somewhere along the line I acquired additional cases but it's been a long time. Starline at one time offered brass and the the other components are common.

Edit - $0.48/each case

I picked this up this morning. I may attempt to murder some poor forest creatures with it.

Glock 20 Gen 5 MOS

20230119_135212.jpg

I've been wanting a gen 4 glock 20 for a while...

I don't need it, and it breaks my own "caliber" rule...but I still want one :homer:

I picked up a gen 4 glock 41 last year...just got some mag ext to use for 3 gun as I have a shit ton of .45 loaded....cool thing is the gen 4 fits the same holster as my gen 3 GL 34.:usa:

I don't need it, and it breaks my own "caliber" rule...but I still want one :homer:

Same here. I've wanted one for awhile but didn't want another caliber. The need never went away though, it just got worse so I finally said screw it.

No ragrats. :laughing:

10mm isn't cheap to shoot compared to 9mm, but compared to the other magnums in this thread 44, 454, 460, ect it's a downright bargain.
My g20 and 40 have been great. Bit big for most ccw, but not near as cumbersome as a desert eagle.

Top Back Refresh