What's new

Hummer H3 Build

07DC4B33-DA42-4981-999B-37399CAB7EBD.jpeg

So here is a question on crossmember strength. That crossmember is there for connecting the frame rails together and a pivot point on the suck down winch. Would I lose all the strength if I notched it for track bar clearance? It’s 1.75in .120 wall.

What if I ran 2 1.5in tubes from further up the frame (towards the bumper) to triangulate it at the notch for strength?

My buddy says I have too many bends in the track bar. It will fail. Thoughts? I bought a 20ft stick of cheap HREW 1.5in thin wall crap to make different designs to see what I can make work. Once I have it I’ll replicate it. This current piece is already no good unfortunately. So I’d rather throw cheap shit out for future scrap then the more expensive shit.

Is there a forward cross member still?
That looks like you were trying to replace the ifs cross member?
On my old truck i didn't even have a replacement for the c member i took out. Never once had movement that i could tell.
My new rig will not have one either. I'm going to put a replacement as close to where the axle bumps up to. I thought about building another removable one off my motor mounts, but not sure it will even fit with how tight my links are to it.
If you notch it, will you be able to run the braces to where it is notched, or will they be on either side of it? I wonder if it matters? Notched with plate on the bottom may be enough.

Is there a forward cross member still?
That looks like you were trying to replace the ifs cross member?
On my old truck i didn't even have a replacement for the c member i took out. Never once had movement that i could tell.
My new rig will not have one either. I'm going to put a replacement as close to where the axle bumps up to. I thought about building another removable one off my motor mounts, but not sure it will even fit with how tight my links are to it.
If you notch it, will you be able to run the braces to where it is notched, or will they be on either side of it? I wonder if it matters? Notched with plate on the bottom may be enough.
I do not have a crossmember in front of it.

I have a 1/4in steel bumper attached to the front framerails that may be considered “crossmemberish” and a Currie anti rock sway bar that bolts to each frame rail.

I could remove it but it is a pivot point for a sick down winch.

So notching it may cause weakness? But I can brace it.

69FF2129-C11B-4727-84BB-82A9DC279FA2.jpeg

I could remove it but it is a pivot point for a sick down winch.
If you're not worried about its capacity as a frame member, then I wouldn't sweat too much of it at all, personally.
When you say pivot point for the suck down, do you mean using it as a defacto snatch block? If so I'm not 100% on how much the added members would help control downward buckling since they're out of plane.

If you're not worried about its capacity as a frame member, then I wouldn't sweat too much of it at all, personally.
When you say pivot point for the suck down, do you mean using it as a defacto snatch block? If so I'm not 100% on how much the added members would help control downward buckling since they're out of plane.
Yeah, it’s like a snatch block. Here’s a pic when I was mocking it up

1C5E0618-0649-42A0-A322-E78E114ABBDF.jpeg
CDE49238-D108-403F-8DC0-8F658428800A.jpeg

Bummer. I like the suckdown winch. I think there may be ways around it.

I can possibly get the crossmember in front of the engine so it’s inline with the frame, it will then be a pull from maybe a few inches in front of the axle vs directly on top but that shouldn’t be an issue

Bummer. I like the suckdown winch. I think there may be ways around it.

I can possibly get the crossmember in front of the engine so it’s inline with the frame, it will then be a pull from maybe a few inches in front of the axle vs directly on top but that shouldn’t be an issue
All you can do is try. I like the idea of the suck down though....i might should try to incorporate something like that in mine. I wouldn't mind a dedicated quad winch for that duty though. I need to get some progress on my pile to see if that would work:homer:

I got to where I can’t work on the front anymore. Needed to order more parts. I ended up going down a hole on the axle side track bar, minimal bend. Still can’t fit the suck down winch tube but think I can make it work if it’s moved forward an inch or two. I ordered tube couplers, more .25 wall tubing, and a bunch of other crap.

Plan to flip the drag link under the high steer arm as well.

Moved to the rear. I have broken the caliper pin bolts on 14 bolt disc brake kits like 4 times now. Each time I don’t catch it in time, the caliper then wedges itself in the bracket and bends it to an unusable point. ANNOYING!!!

Why does this keep happening? I thought maybe a bent spindle could do it but it doesn’t appear bent.

7B987CA0-2232-4470-9AB8-0A37B500E0D3.jpeg

It may look like it’s pointing up but the side of stands is higher then the tire on the ground on the other side. New bracket in….

Could the offset be wrong and causing the caliper to the side? Are the pads wearing even? Can you watch it and have someone smash the peddle and look for something odd?

Probably be easier to just stop going slow or stopping. :flipoff2:

I don’t have much for suggestions on the rest. I would probably have to look at it before I provide some stupid ideas.

Oh and on my dads YJ I put the tie rod behind the axle with a bend to clear the diff. Not quite as drastic as yours but it hasn’t bent yet. 1.25x.288 tube.

Not sure if it’s an option but years ago it was common to push the track bar out in front to clear all the steering stuff.

More likely that the bracket is on at an angle than the spindle is bent.

Also it should be pretty easy to bend the bracket to match the spindle if either is the case.

That’s probably it. They are weld on instead of the bolt on deal. I’ll bleed the brakes and watch it

Merry Christmas guys! I will get pics of the hummer back on the ground. Lots of work to make a 1.75in .25 wall track bar work.

Before I get to that I got some chromoly shafts for Christmas.

DFB30E36-7DF2-4B36-9668-896B4BFB1897.jpeg

If you look at the stub shaft it says need u joint only. Anyone know why? It’s a USA standard chromoly according to the part # and it’s machined for full circle clips

Are there u joints that don't use needle bearings? If there is, are the caps different in same way vs regular needle bearing style joints?

Are there u joints that don't use needle bearings? If there is, are the caps different in same way vs regular needle bearing style joints?
Yukon super joint. I believe the OD is the same exact size

Have you been under a rock for your whole life?

CTM, Alloy USA had some but not sure now, Jantz, Yukon, Longfield I think are still available.

Merry Christmas guys! I will get pics of the hummer back on the ground. Lots of work to make a 1.75in .25 wall track bar work.

Before I get to that I got some chromoly shafts for Christmas.

DFB30E36-7DF2-4B36-9668-896B4BFB1897.jpeg

If you look at the stub shaft it says need u joint only. Anyone know why? It’s a USA standard chromoly according to the part # and it’s machined for full circle clips

They are saying they won’t honor the warranty if you are running good joints.

An update: I am at the hammers but I got the track bar done and the drag link. I was able to shoe horn a 1.75in .25 wall track bar in there but it required a lot of work. I had to move the track bar hole down 1 hole (1in) to avoid frame rail contact, then it hit the diff cover.

C7F3C9C1-F79B-4A79-AB68-0046BC7976CA.jpeg

So the covers off cut it, test fit.

ED25B80F-DE53-4CC1-8F51-A24E25AB48E3.jpeg

It cleared the ring gear and the track bar. So welded it up. Gale banks wouldn’t like the fluid dynamics here but it’s a front diff with locking hubs….

831C2BEB-3C59-4FF4-A249-E2DFD4EA8D56.jpeg

I also went with a fixed end on the frame side (1.25in uniball) so it can’t wobble. It needs to be oriented a very specific way and jam nuts coming loose and be an issue. I am also neurotic about the small weld surface on a fixed end so I wrapped it in 1in .25 flat bar. It was welded completely after this pic.

52118ED9-6DC4-4EE3-886F-5CBEB9E2C327.jpeg

I flipped the drag link under the high steer arm, had to drill it out and put an insert in it to go under the arm.

1BFC5724-5DC2-49DE-9AFB-1610F01C95A3.png

I need to run the numbers again to make sure I have no bumpsteer but so far so good on road feel. drag link starts higher and ends higher, track bar is on a similar plane but lower. With the bends it looks off but drawing straight lines from pivot to pivot it looks close.

Then had to redo the overly complicated suck down winch pivot/crossmember.

8A7BB26B-AB33-4FE6-83D0-193A06D34EB4.jpeg

I couldn’t get it in front of the oil pan, it would have to sit too high up to avoid the track bar and hit the crank pulley.

So 1.75in .120 wall to start, slightly angled up and forward (towards front of vehicle) then transitions to 1.5in .25 wall with a bend that’s up and forward, and transitions back to 1.75in .120 wall. So compound angles on compound angles. It was a pain but it all fits.

So now I am sitting at the hammers ready to get my day started. drove 14.5 hours here on Tuesday. I probably spent 100 miles behind slow morons driving 10 or more below the speed limit for no reason.

Yesterday I was solo. I stayed to easier trails but it was a new experience. I have experienced a completely empty lake bed with a few friends and sometimes a large group, a somewhat busy lake bed with a few or a lot of friends, KOH, lots of people and volunteering or pitting for a friend racing, an empty valley but staying at a rental house 10-15 min off the lake bed.

This was my first time being solo. It’s fairly empty. Maybe 25-40 trailers/rvs, so I could get help if needed but still desolate, it was a fun experience, very peaceful and makes you feel insignificant and small to the world at the top of a canyon overlooking a fairly empty place.

I explored and walked trails which I never do because in a group it’s go go go. I walked kings veto and walked a canyon east of the top of claw. Looks to be not touched much or at all? First 50% a built production 4x4 can do on your typical 1 tons 40s, the top is buggy rear steer stuff.

I ran turkey claw, chocolate thunder, clawhammer, then turned around and back down to go up nightmare. Hiked the 2 trails/canyons, went back to the truck for lunch. Ran resolution, then up boulderdash, back down and around and up lower and upper big Johnson. The Johnsons are surprisingly messed up right now, a storm or something must have moved all the rocks. That was an easy trail and maybe that’s why I think it’s messed up. For years it was easy.

I timed myself up clawhammer for fun, 14 min 58 seconds. First time I did it ifs, 35s, one locker, with trail traffic and a friend in a Chevy crew cab long bed 2003 2500 Sas on 38s it took us like 8 hours. Funny to reminisce on how it took literally 15 min vs 8 hours.

So far everything is working good, my only concern is how much 1in track bar being farther down on the axle changes my roll axis and roll center in terms of stability

Last edited:
So day 2 was hanging out waiting for the rain to pass and a friend to show up, once he showed up we ran jackhammer in 19 minutes hitting the hard lines, not the race lines. From there we went up and down “jacks back” down jack north, over to bender alley, down bender alley and up wrecking ball.

Wrecking ball is a trail that has my number. That damn waterfall just fucking sucks lol. Last year on wrecking ball I broke my damn front Eaton e locker and then broke my main leaf. :mad3: This time I just had to winch but man, I want that waterfall bad and it just fights me.

After that we walked kings Veto again, it was late and not something we would want to even attempt so late.

Here we are at the top of jack.

E527FF98-409A-45F1-B0BD-5E77624A39F1.jpeg

After that we went back to camp to have make dinner and sit around the fire. Around 10:30 we got a call from our buddy and his dad that had a broken leaf on their trailer. So we loaded up my F550 and my buddy’s trailer (the one who’s already with me) and went to rescue them about an hour from the lakebed.

We took my bun trail welder and welded the leaf and ratchet strapped it up.

814BD29F-972A-4C3A-BBC2-6E15C01F4FB9.jpeg
FFFEB5BD-157C-4968-902B-3D06BC776E92.jpeg

Got back to camp around 1, unloaded everything and got to bed by like 2am.

Day 3 was KOH OG13 course day. I wanted to start by 8 or 9 because it was going to be a long day but didn’t start until 10:39am (we wanted to time ourselves) our last buddy arriving was leaf spring trailer shopping for the broken leaf so that’s why we started a little late.

So we had some ground rules for us, stay as a group. Yes, we are “racing” the OG13 first ever king of the hammers 2007 race course but we don’t have the comms or support to handle breakdowns alone. So we stick together. Rule #2, we don’t take “race lines” over the years hammer trails have had burned in “race lines” from racers avoiding rocks to get through trails quicker. We enjoy rock crawling and while we want to finish as fast as possible it’s not at the expense of avoiding what we like to do, rock crawling….
Rule #3 no dilly dallying. Again, not racing but also not trail riding, so minimize stopping, taking breaks, bullshitting on the trail.

So we hit the lake bed at 10:39 and are off.

At 10:49, 10 minutes in, our buddy has a seized brake caliper, had to take it all apart, try and unseize it, all in all, we start moving again at 11:27. We get to the final turn off for outer limits (first rock trail) and it seized up again, this time we plug the hard line. I welded up some brake unions making them a plug. Quick and easy fix, in the end we lost a total of about 50-55 minutes between both stops.

We head up outer limits and I think for me personally I kicked this trails ass. Others kicked my ass but this one I moved quick. I had to stop for a minute as I bent a beadlock ring and hammered it into place. No real time was lost as no one was behind me holding them up. We did spread out a little on trails.

From there dirt roads to go get to the top of aftershock, so we go down aftershock, down sunbonnet, up devils slide and up hell to pay.

Going up devils slide

ECF89E16-E743-4AEE-B724-34E67F83882B.jpeg

I thought sunbonnet and aftershock were a little more difficult then usual. I had to winch once due to a stupid line choice resulting me getting high centered.

Going down these trails in my rig is interesting, gravity likes to put the hummer where gravity wants, going up trails I am going against gravity so I have more control of where the rig goes.

We take the desert around the mtns, go up the sand hill, and to the top of sledge. We go down sledge, sledge has been tore up for years now, and it still packs a punch even going down it.

E078868B-630E-4ECF-9978-31E199CD55C8.jpeg

Billybadass411 going down the sledge plaque line.

I had a near scare flop going down sledge but luckily it stopped before going any further.

9EE7CA5D-D79C-4943-903F-4B07EF45B9C2.jpeg

From there we went up jack, jacks back, down bender alley, and up wrecking ball. Up until this point it was one of the best wheeling days ever. It’s about 7pm at this point? I am back at the bane of my existence, the wrecking ball waterfall. I am dreading it, we are so close to finishing and I don’t want a major issue here. I try taking a different line and as I back up, I smash my back window…and here I have a literal mental breakdown. I’m not proud of it, but I came unglued and probably I haven’t come unglued like this in 10 plus years. I think it was just a LONG day, with minimal sleep from the previous night with the trailer rescue, etc. all my anger came up. Originally I was going leave Friday because I had a prior commitment Saturday night. To accommodate others I said I’ll stay one more day and leave Friday night, knock 4-5 hours out of my drive and finish it Saturday AM. I know, trail days have the unexpected…but the late start due to no one’s fault and my hatred for night wheeling and now freaking out about when I’m going to leave, the broken back window, I lost it. So I winch up the waterfall and rip my fucking brake line. Came unglued a bit more. So in a rush I grab one of my homemade brake plugs, unplug the wrong hardline from the master in my raging fit of anger, and then couldn’t get it back in. So I plugged up that line and the ripped line. With 2 brakes we head down claw and back to the lake bed finishing at 9:02 pm. So all in all it took us 10 hours and 23 minutes.

Got to camp, had to pack up, eat and at this point I was exhausted from the little sleep the night before, I wasn’t going to knock out 4-5 hours. So I slept from 10:30 to 2am, started up the truck, by the time I got off of Boone road and on the highway it was 2:30am. Drove all day, got home just before 6pm Saturday night.

So the takeaway was that it was still an amazing trip, slightly hiccuped at the end. The hummer did amazing. No real carnage that I have seen yet, each night I got under my rig and checked for any issues and there weren’t any. I do still have to get under my rig for the last and hardest day inspection but no real carnage other then a window I need to replace and a brake line. She took a boat load of abuse and kept asking for more.

You did it wrong. Either stay up until 2am for a 5am departure or sleep in and dec about 10:30 and lazily work your way home thinking you’ll stop somewhere along the way. :smokin:

It’s a long day drive home.

Sounds like an awesome trip and like some of your anger was exactly what KOH teams experience.

Sounds like an awesome trip and like some of your anger was exactly what KOH teams experience.
I agree, I don’t think I am an angry guy. Sure, I bitch about politics or the direction of this country but I generally wake up everyday happy. I don’t think I have underlying anger issues that linger on for years. If there’s an issue, I usually find out what the problem is and address it. I guess my point is, this anger wasn’t “normal” but it shows how frustrating and how long and tiring KOH is. We did the shortest KOH ever. It was just a rock lap. It took all day and guys prep for all year for this race and face issues, I can see it bringing out the worst in people. Lol

Sounds like a killer trip! That would be super fun to run the original course. I need to make it down there for more than just KOH. Did you guys stop for lunch when running the course or was that just pressing through at a moderate speed?

Loved the Hammers trip report! Glad to see you're still at it with the Hummer!!

Sounds like a killer trip! That would be super fun to run the original course. I need to make it down there for more than just KOH. Did you guys stop for lunch when running the course or was that just pressing through at a moderate speed?
We didn’t have a regular lunch stop, I think we all ate lunch at different times whenever there was time. Each person had times where they were ahead of others so when time allowed we ate.

I highly recommend getting down there other then KOH. KOH is interesting, 5-10 years ago hell would have to freeze over for me not to make it. This year I’m on the fence, it’s gotten too big, I have moved farther away, and security is a bigger concern.

We used to have plenty of time to wheel but it seems we have less and less time to wheel due to the added events each year. I’ve been at the hammers when the group I’m with is the only one there. That’s ok but I like some people on the lakebed. I think thanksgiving, week between Christmas and New Year’s, and the week after KOH are probably the “perfect” amount of people for my liking. If shit hits the fan you can probably find some help or parts but it’s not KOH crowded either.
Loved the Hammers trip report! Glad to see you're still at it with the Hummer!!
Thanks!! I’m trying to keep it going as long as I can lol

Agreed on the KOH time to go, we have been going Wednesday to Wednesday. Last year I didn't even pull my rig off the trailer when we got down there. I've heard Thanksgiving is a good time

Top Back Refresh