What's new

How's the pricing on this flooring?

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Next month's project is tearing up the carpet and putting down some form of vinyl plank flooring.

Seeing prices from $2.78 to $3.78 a foot. I know building supplies are stupid expensive right now. How's that pricing on the flooring? Is it that much more than it used to be?

It varies a ton based on quality, etc, obviously. But that sounds about right. I bought this stuff from HD 2 years ago and at the time it was I "think" $2.89 a square foot. I do remember the cases being about $58-$60 each, so it hasn't gone up much. I love the flooring though, it's very nice stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
It varies a ton based on quality, etc, obviously. But that sounds about right. I bought this stuff from HD 2 years ago and at the time it was I "think" $2.89 a square foot. I do remember the cases being about $58-$60 each, so it hasn't gone up much. I love the flooring though, it's very nice stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Okie doke. Fair enough. I didn't know if flooring was like $.78 a foot or something. :homer:

Okie doke. Fair enough. I didn't know if flooring was like $.78 a foot or something. :homer:

It can be, but it's gonna be pretty cheap in more ways than price. But honestly, I've put in cheaper stuff too and it's been holding up just fine over the years, I'm just careful with spills. If it happens I wipe it up quickly.

Sounds about right. Go with a rigid core vynal plank unless you want it to feel/sound soft. I had some $7/ft flooring store stuff in my last house and this time around went with the "lifeproof" brand at home depot, its amazing how much better the quaility is.

Oh and buy all the cheezy looking overpriced install tools. They are worth it and no a block of wood will not be the same. Also get the wood handled hammer with the 2 different colored ruber/plastic heads.

Last edited:
Sounds about right. Go with a rigid core vynal plank unless you want it to feel/sound soft. I had some $7/ft flooring store stuff in my last house and this time around went with the "lifeproof" brand at home depot, its amazing how much better the quaility is.

Good stuff. I just looked it up. Lots of options. Probably the way I'll go. :beer:

X2 on buying the tools. I've done it both ways and I equate doing it without them akin to rebuilding a truck with only a crescent wrench and chicom vice grips.:laughing:

re: tools

I don't mess around anymore with tools. If there's something out there that will help, I buy it. No questions asked. I include it in the budget. Working on the motorcycles taught me that. I had people telling me things like to jam a broom stick down in the forks to remove the bottom bolt. Or use a hammer to separate the engine cases. I bought the fork tool and the case spreader. Made it super easy. Same thing will apply here.

You can use the tools but a second set of hands and scraps as tappers one side for tung and one side for groove and your good, don't follow a pattern just go random and it will look better. I like the hd lifeproof shit, I've put it in some pretty high traffic areas and it holds up well and is easy to clean. If you want extra cushion you can put in a extra layer of underlayment, good in kitchens or where you will be standing awhile.

You can use the tools but a second set of hands and scraps as tappers one side for tung and one side for groove and your good, don't follow a pattern just go random and it will look better. I like the hd lifeproof shit, I've put it in some pretty high traffic areas and it holds up well and is easy to clean. If you want extra cushion you can put in a extra layer of underlayment, good in kitchens or where you will be standing awhile.

Kitchen has tile already, so that's staying. Living room is top of the list right now. Hallway leading down to the other rooms is still undecided.

I wouldn't bother with living and hallways, usually do underlayment in kitchen and laundry sometimes bath for extra water protection depending on layout and products. Also use scraps as a spacer and plan your doorways you can cut under the door casing with a multitool and have zero gaps.

X2 on buying the tools. I've done it both ways and I equate doing it without them akin to rebuilding a truck with only a crescent wrench and chicom vice grips.:laughing:

Same. If I need a tool to do it correctly I will buy it. Only exceptions at this point are if a bush fix is needed type deal. Sadly now that I live in the bush most of the time I fix it and then buy the shit next time in town to fix it correctly and get to do it twice. :homer::lmao:

The harborfreight tool kit is cheap and works very well. Just laid some laminate in a bedroom couple weekends ago. We bought Quickstep brand from Lowes. Usually $37/box, we got it as a new return for $5 box. Also got some nearly identical colored Pergo waterproof for $10/box (normally $60) to do our bathrooms with. Double sided plastic hammer, HF flooring kit, jig saw, track saw, and an oscillating tool and we had it done in a couple hours.
20210307_132335.jpg

20210307_132335.jpg

Oh and buy all the cheezy looking overpriced install tools. They are worth it and no a block of wood will not be the same. Also get the wood handled hammer with the 2 different colored ruber/plastic heads.

Looking at the tools now.

Floor Installation Kit

image_12726.jpg

Is that what you guys were referring to for the tools?

I've already got one of those two colored rubber mallets.

All that and the cutter if you can get it cheap. The cutter is what I found most useful.

cutter? hrm. I've got chop saw that goes at all angles. I was just going to use that.

cutter? hrm. I've got chop saw that goes at all angles. I was just going to use that.

I do too, and it was ok-ish but man the dust:laughing: even with the shop vac going well it just got everywhere. 2nd time I bought a HF cutter, no dust and I dunno how to explain it but it was just easier. I sold the cutter for what I paid so there was no loss to me.

If you have time you can get flooring super cheap when it goes on clearance at HD/Lowes. That stuff changes so often, or a return. With a couple months notice and if I'm only slightly picky on style I can almost always find 1-2 rooms worth of $2-4/sf stuff marked down to $.50-75/sf

The dust is extremely paid with vinyl plank, get the cutter and use it. I ripped a few with a table saw and the garage was a mess afterwards. Much worse than grinding or cutting wood.

I'll grab the cutter then.

If you have time you can get flooring super cheap when it goes on clearance at HD/Lowes. That stuff changes so often, or a return. With a couple months notice and if I'm only slightly picky on style I can almost always find 1-2 rooms worth of $2-4/sf stuff marked down to $.50-75/sf

Ma has the best luck with this. Back when we were living at what is now the rental, she found stacks and stacks of tile flooring for like 4 cents a piece or something. We tiled the entire bathroom for $17. :laughing:

She always finds this stuff.

Top Back Refresh