What's new

how to title a homebuilt trailer

ironman_gq

Member Number
Got a homebuilt trailer for free, guy built it years ago. He copied a 12k low deck skid steer trailer but he never went through the title process, just used it around the farm. How difficult is it to register it and get a title in Minnesota. Would be for personal use, no commercial use.

Dunno how they roll in Minnesota, but here its all about a receipt. It either proves you paid some tax, or they'll charge you tax on what you wrote on the paper napkin. :laughing: Almost any pile can get on the road rubber-stamped to 3300#.

But homebuilt at a claimed 12k# GVWR... who's going to authenticate that? IMHO, that's your biggest obstacle.

I went through it all in CT. I must’ve caught the right guy at the end of the day, because he pushed me right through. I registered it as a 6k even though it’s 12k. They wanted pictures to document the rebuild, receipts for everything, lights in working order, legal tires, breakaway switch with working battery etc. I got it all done in less than a few hours at DMV. Which is pretty good as far as DMV goes.

As far as I know it’s not about what it’s capacity is, it’s what you register it as. I would’ve paid more taxes on it if it was registered at 12k.

I've got no problem paying the taxes, a new equivalent trailer would run me $7500 right now and the used market isn't any better at $5-6000 for a 12k trailer. I don't even mind if they want me to get an inspection sheet, I can get a DOT inspection done on it at any time for $120. I think I need to do some homework.

In NM I just had to schedule an appoint at motor vehicles so they could inspect it and check that all lights/brakes work. They asked what weight it would be carrying and then what I valued it at (lol). Got a plate and a stick on VIN tag from them and that was it.

Top Back Refresh