What's new

How to paint? Rattle can bedside repair.

Donald Trump

Member Number
Loc
ND
Trying to figure out how best to repair the side of my truck that ran into a door frame. I’ve only got rattle cans to work with. Once I hammer out the damage, fill, and prime I’m wondering how to blend my color coat with the existing undamaged area. My understanding is normally you’d paint and clear the whole panel, but since I don’t have a spray gun I’m trying to minimize the area I have to paint. With every coat of color I was going to just feather it out a bit, but how do I prep the area that will be feathered? I believe I need to rough it up a bit so the paint will stick, but I don’t want to scuff the clear up past my repair area and have it left looking dull. It’s hard to see in the picture but it’s dented and scuffed in front of the tire.
IMG_8020.jpeg
IMG_8026.jpeg

Yeah, I was hoping that too, but there’s a slight crease where the inner fender and bedside are welded together. Really I think it would be best to weld on tabs and pull it out, but I don’t have access to that. I buffed it out already. Here’s how it looked before. I’ll just paint the whole panel if necessary if blending turns out bad.
IMG_1545.jpeg

I think I woulda washed it before trying to buff stuff out though....

Top Back Refresh