What's new

How much would you pay to rent a trailer?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
This might be better in gcc since it's not tech, but for now I'll try here.

How much would you pay to rent a trailer?

Standard 16' 7k?

7x14 dump?

2 car/3 sxs wedge?

24'/21k deck over?

30' gooseneck?

Something you wish you could rent?

I have a problem with wanting every trailer, I have 2, plus a homosexual flatbill wearing friend is trying to sell me 2 more for a steal. I was half ass thinking about trying to rent them out. I realize people are going to treat them, but if I can make enough to keep them up, it should be worth it.

I see people advertising car trailers for $75/day but 2 day minimum. I feel like I'd rather not deal with that for the most part, I'd rather do something a little more "speciality" and less volume.

I’ve rented an enclosed trailer from the trailer dealer once to move. Have thought about it other times. But I never thought it would be much of a business.

A place in chico that was once called hertz RAC rented me a tilt bed trailer I needed to take some 20 ft lengths of C900 from out on hwy 32 to my place.

Charged me $100.00 for the weekend.

I'd love to rent a car trailer for the 7-10 times per year I need it, instead of it taking up space in my driveway all year round.

There used to be a local rental place that would rent their car trailer but people trashed it and he got tired of fixing it.

$75/day seems a little low for a car trailer IMO

Probably depends where you live. Around here (suburbs) there's a few places that might be tough competition price wise since they are bigger. I also would assume a large number of renters would treat a trailer like a rental and destroy it quickly.

I've thought about it, there's 2 schools of thought, buy junk and rent it out cheap enough that it stays busy, and you'll stay busy fixing it, could be a solid business model.

Another school of thought is buy a brand new trailer with no scratches on it, and charge a premium price. Get the credit card deposit, and ding a renter for any damage at all. This will scare off a segment of renters, and you'll rent it less. Maybe only make 3-4k a year, then buy a new one, and sell the old one.

I personally would like to get into the rental business, just buy every toy and tool I want and rent them all out.

Sure, at some point somebody will crash my 2020 quad and I'll have to deal with it, mostly by filling their insurance claim, but every time I want to take out my 2002 and 2005 quads, I have to fire them up and fill the tires anyways.

I've rented quads on vacation, the owners are always smiling. One guy also rented boats. Everything was due back in at 5pm sharp. Sun set at 9pm. They took something out every night.

A place in chico that was once called hertz RAC rented me a tilt bed trailer I needed to take some 20 ft lengths of C900 from out on hwy 32 to my place.

Charged me $100.00 for the weekend.

Seems like those equipment trailers are easy to come by. Those places mostly have them to make it easier to rent their equipment.

I haven't seen any normal 16' 7k car trailers around here though.

I'd love to rent a car trailer for the 7-10 times per year I need it, instead of it taking up space in my driveway all year round.

There used to be a local rental place that would rent their car trailer but people trashed it and he got tired of fixing it.

$75/day seems a little low for a car trailer IMO

Can't figure out mutiquote.....

I get it, they've gotten pretty expensive also. My father in law paid $5200 for a 20' 10k buggy hauler. I think a standard car hauler is at least $3500

I found more than one place on Craigslist (I have the app and it might have been so cal) that said $75/day. Seems to cheap to be worth it to me. I'm not really interested in this market though, but maybe a buggy hauler type trailer for a little more would weed out some of the typical idiots.

To WHATAHEEP, I realize people will treat them like shit, that's why I was thinking about avoiding the typical cheap car trailers.

​​​​​

I've thought about it, there's 2 schools of thought, buy junk and rent it out cheap enough that it stays busy, and you'll stay busy fixing it, could be a solid business model.

Another school of thought is buy a brand new trailer with no scratches on it, and charge a premium price. Get the credit card deposit, and ding a renter for any damage at all. This will scare off a segment of renters, and you'll rent it less. Maybe only make 3-4k a year, then buy a new one, and sell the old one.

I personally would like to get into the rental business, just buy every toy and tool I want and rent them all out.

Sure, at some point somebody will crash my 2020 quad and I'll have to deal with it, mostly by filling their insurance claim, but every time I want to take out my 2002 and 2005 quads, I have to fire them up and fill the tires anyways.

I've rented quads on vacation, the owners are always smiling. One guy also rented boats. Everything was due back in at 5pm sharp. Sun set at 9pm. They took something out every night.

I'd say the trailers I listed, except my brand new dump trailer, would fall under the "buy junk and expect it to get beat up" except I don't really want to be too cheap, I was more thinking of it just being an excuse to own cool trailers :laughing:

The 32' wedge is the one that got me thinking, I figured it would be perfect for a group of guys going to the dunes or whatever. Load 3 sxs's on it instead of taking 3 trucks and trailers. I even thought about making a spot for a quad or bikes underneath.

For the dump I'd kinda rather do the "I'll park it, you load it, I'll dump it. But I always worry that some dick head will put a bunch of paint whatever on the bottom, and honestly most people don't even know that's not allowed in the dump.

So the wedge could work out, I'd build some storage into the bottom, and then church it up with fresh paint and all, you want the guy to feel good about it, put it in his pictures and shit

A while back in Idaho I rode along and camped with a 4wd club, a couple of the guys rented a gooseneck to pull 2 jeeps for like $700 for the week, I thought that was steep, like 5 years ago too.

In my opinion, it is a great use of capitol. Most people will cry about people damaging their shit, but right now I've got the sun rotting the tires on 5 different trailers. If I'm renting them, those tires are getting replaced almost yearly, from the profit.

I rented a brand new 40ft gooseneck from someone for something like $140/day to take to moab. I think he gave me a discount for a week rental too. Felt like it was a fair price compared to renting multiple carhaulers and having to fuel multiple tow rigs

Action Fap would have his father in law rent it.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
So the wedge could work out, I'd build some storage into the bottom, and then church it up with fresh paint and all, you want the guy to feel good about it, put it in his pictures and shit

A while back in Idaho I rode along and camped with a 4wd club, a couple of the guys rented a gooseneck to pull 2 jeeps for like $700 for the week, I thought that was steep, like 5 years ago too.

In my opinion, it is a great use of capitol. Most people will cry about people damaging their shit, but right now I've got the sun rotting the tires on 5 different trailers. If I'm renting them, those tires are getting replaced almost yearly, from the profit.

This is kinda what I figured, I can't justify owning it otherwise. $700 for the week isn't bad, I was hoping for more. First thought was $500/weekend, but now that we're talking about it, that's really high.

I rented a brand new 40ft gooseneck from someone for something like $140/day to take to moab. I think he gave me a discount for a week rental too. Felt like it was a fair price compared to renting multiple carhaulers and having to fuel multiple tow rigs

That's nothing for a trailer like that imo. Worth it by far.

Just wondering, what if your renter wrecked /trashed/fucked the trailer up. Would you have to be sure they had 7500 available on their card? Hope your contract was enough? Send some fucker to shit in their sunroof?

I do have a few thoughts on rental trailers:

Everywhere near me to rent a trailer is a trailer dealer or equipment rental yard. Dealers buy trailers wholesale, repair cheap in house, and sell in-house after the rental life. Equipment yards only want to make renting their equipment easier by offering trailers.

Car haulers with a winch (or at least a bed mounted receiver). I've been tempted to sell my open car trailer and rent when I need it, but none of the rental trailers have winches or a place to attach a winch (via 2” receiver). I use my winch quite a bit for non-running projects and I'm not going back to a manual come along.

The deckover is a good idea, I rent a piece of shit trailer from a rental place I hate, but it’s the only deckover to rent in town. So they get the business 2-4x/year to move a 10k lb snowblower during load restrictions. Pay $100/day to only use it for an hour. Would also be nice for moving machine tools, palletized material, etc.

Enclosed trailer for local moves: offer an additional service to drop off trailer at old place, then move packed trailer to new place for the customer. Pick up trailer after they unpack. I have a buddy that does this, he likes that he gets paid for a week or two of rental, but the trailer is only moved by him and mostly sits in a driveway during the rental.

Cross your Ts and dot your Is with insurance. This may make it unrealistic to turn a profit.

Edit: I would pay $75/day for a car trailer ($100/day with winch), $150/day for deckover (if it was a decent trailer), $125/day for an enclosed car trailer

Last edited:
Any bumper pull: $35 per day plus mileage fee from .10 - .50 depending on size and current demand

Any fifth wheel: $60 per day and same milage fees.

Plus insurance charges and damage fees etc. Etc.

But, most people who rent trailers don't know how to pull a trailer.

Just wondering, what if your renter wrecked /trashed/fucked the trailer up. Would you have to be sure they had 7500 available on their card? Hope your contract was enough? Send some fucker to shit in their sunroof?

I'd have insurance on it just like I do already to cover theft or vandalism. When they rent it, they have to show proof of insurance, if they get in a wreck, it's on their insurance.

What my wife brought up, which is a good question, says a wheel falls off and causes a wreck. Could they try to sue me? Or is that covered under "the driver is responsible for their load"?

I do have a few thoughts on rental trailers:
Everywhere near me to rent a trailer is a trailer dealer or equipment rental yard. Dealers buy trailers wholesale, repair cheap in house, and sell in-house after the rental life. Equipment yards only want to make renting their equipment easier by offering trailers.

Car haulers with a winch (or at least a bed mounted receiver). I've been tempted to sell my open car trailer and rent when I need it, but none of the rental trailers have winches or a place to attach a winch (via 2” receiver). I use my winch quite a bit for non-running projects and I'm not going back to a manual come along.

The deckover is a good idea, I rent a piece of shit trailer from a rental place I hate, but it’s the only deckover to rent in town. So they get the business 2-4x/year to move a 10k lb snowblower during load restrictions. Pay $100/day to only use it for an hour. Would also be nice for moving machine tools, palletized material, etc.

Enclosed trailer for local moves: offer an additional service to drop off trailer at old place, then move packed trailer to new place for the customer. Pick up trailer after they unpack. I have a buddy that does this, he likes that he gets paid for a week or two of rental, but the trailer is only moved by him and mostly sits in a driveway during the rental.

Cross your Ts and dot your Is with insurance. This may make it unrealistic to turn a profit.

Edit: I would pay $75/day for a car trailer ($100/day with winch), $150/day for deckover (if it was a decent trailer), $125/day for an enclosed car trailer

Like I said, I'm not trying to compete with every uhaul or equipment yard. More specific use trailers.

I'd love to be able to rent a decent sized enclosed trailer for moving. The biggest one u haul has is tiny. Even a 14x7 is like 3 times the volume.

I'm surprised your buddy does well doing that, when a uhaul is so cheap. But I guess some people are even scared to drive a "big" truck.

If i can find a way to take the 4000 lbs of roofing material off my 16 ft trailer it would be useful again.

Seems like those equipment trailers are easy to come by. Those places mostly have them to make it easier to rent their equipment.

I haven't seen any normal 16' 7k car trailers around here though.

What does uhaul charge? That much.

OK, show me where you can rent any of the trailers I listed at uhaul? :rolleyes:

Even their car trailer is pretty lame. Maybe 14'? And no flat deck to throw a dirt bike or tool box on long trips.

Any bumper pull: $35 per day plus mileage fee from .10 - .50 depending on size and current demand

Any fifth wheel: $60 per day and same milage fees.

Plus insurance charges and damage fees etc. Etc.

Charging way to cheap, plus mileage for a trailer is dumb. Uhaul makes a ton of money off milage and even they don't try to charge for it on trailers. How exactly would you track it on a trailer anyway?

I'd rather just charge a flat fee, even if they're going on a long trip, chances are it will sit for the week while they're there. Not like a uhaul truck where you go a-b then unload and return the truck as fast as possible.

Not to mention lumping all bumper pulls in the same price bracket is dumb. A $10k dump trailer rents for the same cost as a $2k car trailer?

This. I know a guy in the business. He runs a trailer dealership selling PJ, Haulmark, Big Tex, Wow, etc. He buys "Demos" with some decent options at wholesale, and rents them out. He also has his broker's license and runs a small fleet of hotshot trucks and vans (all independent O/Os) that pull his trailers. His sons and another guy are the trailer mechanics; they also know how to fab stuff pretty well, having grown up in the business.

Anyone destroys a trailer, he goes after their insurance, and his insurance picks up where theirs leaves off. He then gets retail repair pricing, with wholesale parts and cheap labor.

When the trailer is used up, he sells it at a discount... cheaper to his drivers, closer to retail for the public. If someone rents a trailer then decides they like it, he'll sell them that unit and apply the rental cost to the purchase price.

Its quite intricate, but he's made a killing doing it.

EDIT: Pricing. IIRC, he charges $69/day for a car hauler, and $99/day for an enclosed car hauler. He has a diverse collection, up to and including a 32' 2-car tridem bumper pull, each with their own price.

Last edited:
OK, show me where you can rent any of the trailers I listed at uhaul? :rolleyes:

Even their car trailer is pretty lame. Maybe 14'? And no flat deck to throw a dirt bike or tool box on long trips.

Charging way to cheap, plus mileage for a trailer is dumb. Uhaul makes a ton of money off milage and even they don't try to charge for it on trailers. How exactly would you track it on a trailer anyway?

I'd rather just charge a flat fee, even if they're going on a long trip, chances are it will sit for the week while they're there. Not like a uhaul truck where you go a-b then unload and return the truck as fast as possible.

Not to mention lumping all bumper pulls in the same price bracket is dumb. A $10k dump trailer rents for the same cost as a $2k car trailer?

Hubometer seems to be a pretty easy way to keep track of the miles. And price was low due to mile charge. Also, I was mainly talking about flat beds.

I'd have insurance on it just like I do already to cover theft or vandalism. When they rent it, they have to show proof of insurance, if they get in a wreck, it's on their insurance.

What my wife brought up, which is a good question, says a wheel falls off and causes a wreck. Could they try to sue me? Or is that covered under "the driver is responsible for their load"?

I am in the rental business now and have been in other high risks businesses in the past.

It is all about what they sign.

To take one of my cars out you have to sign multiple waivers of liability.

Spend some money up front on a lawyer, it will save you lots of money later.

Also setup a LLC and make sure you understand how to use it.

Hubometer seems to be a pretty easy way to keep track of the miles. And price was low due to mile charge. Also, I was mainly talking about flat beds.

Better put three of them on the trailer because anyone who rents an equipment trailer is also gonna have the equipment to chain up axles for when it's empty. :laughing:

If you have the space and time/patience to deal with idiots fucking up your stuff I think it'd be a good way to get other people to pay for your trailers. There is a market but at best it'd pay for the trailers, maintenance and maybe a little beer money.

I'd say make it a 20' 7k utility. I'd pay $125 a weekend to rent that the twice a year I need to move my 3038 and shredder 150 miles down the road, as it stands right now I just hang 4' worth of shredder off the ass of my 16' and take the "write the fucking ticket" approach to my legality.

The same price applies to @ 12-14' enclosed.

If I could find a 10'-12' dump to rent locally I'd happily spend $200 for a weekend to haul in bulk mulch. If I was in the rental business there's no way I'd have a 14' model in the fleet way to easy to overload and tear up.

This. I know a guy in the business. He runs a trailer dealership selling PJ, Haulmark, Big Tex, Wow, etc. He buys "Demos" with some decent options at wholesale, and rents them out. He also has his broker's license and runs a small fleet of hotshot trucks and vans (all independent O/Os) that pull his trailers. His sons and another guy are the trailer mechanics; they also know how to fab stuff pretty well, having grown up in the business.

Anyone destroys a trailer, he goes after their insurance, and his insurance picks up where theirs leaves off. He then gets retail repair pricing, with wholesale parts and cheap labor.

When the trailer is used up, he sells it at a discount... cheaper to his drivers, closer to retail for the public. If someone rents a trailer then decides they like it, he'll sell them that unit and apply the rental cost to the purchase price.

Its quite intricate, but he's made a killing doing it.

EDIT: Pricing. IIRC, he charges $69/day for a car hauler, and $99/day for an enclosed car hauler. He has a diverse collection, up to and including a 32' 2-car tridem bumper pull, each with their own price.

Interesting, it would be nice to rent a trailer before you buy it.

All good points, I'm not an idiot, I know people are going to fuck them up.

If you have the space and time/patience to deal with idiots fucking up your stuff I think it'd be a good way to get other people to pay for your trailers. There is a market but at best it'd pay for the trailers, maintenance and maybe a little beer money.

Basically this, I'm not looking at getting a yard, shop and a dozen trailers. Just figured I'll have 3 trailers after this weekend, why not try to offset their cost.

If I was in the rental business there's no way I'd have a 14' model in the fleet way to easy to overload and tear up.

Good point, that's probably why the rental yards have little 6x10 dumps with 7k axles, they know idiots are going to try to fill it full of wet dirt :laughing:

I'm not really interested in renting the dump out, I'm actually thinking about posting it for sale or trade for a 20-25' enclosed. If that happened, I'd probably do what someone mentioned where I drop it off, you load it and then I move it to your new house. I'd maybe post it for rent at a premium price.

Personally I love the idea as finding any place that rents anything other then tiny useless trailers is pretty tough...

and

Really how big is the market of people who are really equipped to tow anything larger then a u-haul trailer with surge brakes?

Top Back Refresh