What's new

How much wind to flip a Toy Hauler

FordFascist

Ford Bigot
Member Number
Loc
Reno, NV
Background:

I'm working remotely from the Hammers right now and it's windy. Like windy enough to where I'm a bit concerned if my toy hauler is going to stay put.

We are 30* into the wind, all stabilizers are down on the ground and it is shaking this SOB like crazy. All the slides are in, but I'm trying to get a good idea if I should flee dodge and go to Landers till this is over. We are 15K as it sits right now.

IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg

Thanks. This sucks.

Whenever you get home get some of those stakes they used for big party tents and toss them in the camper. Next time the wind is bad drive them into the ground and sling some ratchet straps over the camper.

You need a heavier trailer.

p.s. is the rig inside?

Yes, the SXS is inside the trailer. The trailer is 18,000 lbs fully loaded.

I contemplated moving it into the wind, but I didn't want to have to take the rear jacks down in order to jack up the front - I'd rather bitch about it on Irate.

Measure the sides and divide sqrft by windspeed.

Call mfg and see what they say about anysort of wind load rating x pounds per sqrft.

Reactions: IGT
Yes, the SXS is inside the trailer. The trailer is 18,000 lbs fully loaded.

I contemplated moving it into the wind, but I didn't want to have to take the rear jacks down in order to jack up the front - I'd rather bitch about it on Irate.

I dont think 18k lb is going to tip very easy

At KOH in 2020 the winds were strong early in the week. Them moved some tents, which were heavily staked down. Lots of awnings were destroyed.

I was there that Sunday? night. I had my cabover pointed due west so the door of the camper was due south. The wind sucked the door open twice and sandblasted the fuck out of the windshield of my truck. My next door neighbors abandoned their tent sometime in the middle of the night and slept in their XJ. We found their tent ripped to pieces almost to Boone rd. We were camped 100 yards from Turkey Claw. :eek:

I was there that Sunday? night. I had my cabover pointed due west so the door of the camper was due south. The wind sucked the door open twice and sandblasted the fuck out of the windshield of my truck. My next door neighbors abandoned their tent sometime in the middle of the night and slept in their XJ. We found their tent ripped to pieces almost to Boone rd. We were camped 100 yards from Turkey Claw. :eek:

Yup. I was camped near Hammertown, and had enough RVs around me that wind-blown sand wasn't an issue, but campers and coaches were rockin'. The big tents in Hammertown were moved over from where they were originally staked down, sometimes a foot or two. Saw lots of destroyed awnings and tents, but, surprisingly most folks were smart enough to roll them up when it started blowing.

sandblasted like permanetly fucked up the glass?

holy shit. remind me to stay the fuck away from windy sandy places.

mess up paint too?

A little. I had that 3M clear bra on all the leading edges so that saved most of it. The rest of it I took to the detail shop and had it cut and buffed.

It was mostly dumb luck that I parked with it pointed perfectly strait into the wind.

holy shit. remind me to stay the fuck away from windy sandy places.

mess up paint too?

Keep in mind that the guy who puts a glorified phone screen protector on his ride and takes it to the detail shop is gonna have a very different definition of what constitutes "fucked up" than most people. :laughing:

Reactions: DMG
Keep in mind that the guy who puts a glorified phone screen protector on his ride and takes it to the detail shop is gonna have a very different definition of what constitutes "fucked up" than most people. :laughing:

well seeing how I am dropping 800 a month on my F two fiddy, I am pretty much right up there with him. :laughing:

I parked my F-350 behind the Toy Hauler specifically to avoid the sand blasting. Like all things in the Bro category: the designs looked dated almost instantly. I think some of the sand took a bit of the fading vinyl so I'll call that a plus.

I must have shop-vacced the trailer 3 times since then.

IMG_0061.jpg

I've always wondered if campers have ever blown over.
We were in our popup tent trailer at the coast one night when it got insane. I had to open all windows to let the wind through. Other travel trailers lost awnings or had them busted, but lucky for us we made it without issue other than insane shaking.

Still I wonder if people in campers, either TTs or popups, have ever lost their shit due to wind. Would be a rude wake up at 3am, no doubt.

Yes, they have. We were just talking about that last weekend while in the desert when it got a bit windy. Happened in Ocotillo Wells a few years ago. Some in our group saw it. They thought it was going to happen to them.

In 2012 a "haboob " hit Phoenix
shortly after that I bought a flattened 2012 toy hauler with nearly new components to make a flat bed out of:laughing:

it was parked with the slides out

KOH 2019 wasn't much better. I used long rebar stakes on my six man tent to keep it in place. They worked but the wind whipped so bad it snapped two tent poles. We threw it in the pickup and got a hotel room in Landers.

Top Back Refresh