What's new

How much is to Much

cagcig

Member Number
Loc
Brentwood CA
I have about 3/4” offset between rear diff yoke and rear output on the transfer case, measured off the side of the frame. Using a cv joint on the transmission side. So how much is to much?

This is for future searches, not for the OP as 3/4" is nothing.

An fj80 rear axle is offset like 5" and I have been running it on a street driven Tacoma for 5 or 6yrs now vibe free, you just need get the pinion angle right. Look at the below pic and you can see how far it's offset. Most Toyota dumbass owners spend a few thousand on custom housings to address this non issue.
IMG_20150401_162726_719_zps2b0tgusw_688b71e6a694b9fe7303e878408d2f82ab605cba.jpg

This is for future searches, not for the OP as 3/4" is nothing.

An fj80 rear axle is offset like 5" and I have been running it on a street driven Tacoma for 5 or 6yrs now vibe free, you just need get the pinion angle right. Look at the below pic and you can see how far it's offset. Most Toyota dumbass owners spend a few thousand on custom housings to address this non issue.
IMG_20150401_162726_719_zps2b0tgusw_688b71e6a694b9fe7303e878408d2f82ab605cba.jpg

Well 130" wb might help also... :flipoff2:

Seriously though, how long is your drive shaft? 1 piece or 2?

Well 130" wb might help also... :flipoff2:

Seriously though, how long is your drive shaft? 1 piece or 2?
2 piece. So factory Tacoma ext cab minus 8" for the crawler. Was going to go 1 piece but Jess talked me out of it years ago. It keeps it nice and tucked up honestly.

3/4" is basically the same as equal offset.

2 piece. So factory Tacoma ext cab minus 8" for the crawler. Was going to go 1 piece but Jess talked me out of it years ago. It keeps it nice and tucked up honestly.
So in reality, from your carrier bearing to your axle is probably no different than a 4runner or single cab truck.

Street driven or trailer queen?
Trying to get it to where I can drive to the trails.
The driveshaft doesnt know left from right, up from down.

<1" means jack shit.
Thanks I guess I’ll try it like it is what’s the worst that can happen, I can always pull it back out and clock it down to move it over to center. Rear pinion is pointing up for cv.

With a CV, side offset does matter. It's like having your pinion not pointed at the tcase. If single cardan, then coplanarity is all that matters.

3/4" may not be a lot over a long distance. I'd run it.

With a CV, side offset does matter. It's like having your pinion not pointed at the tcase. If single cardan, then coplanarity is all that matters.

3/4" may not be a lot over a long distance. I'd run it.
36" drive shaft

Top Back Refresh