What's new

how low is too low 42s and one tons

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good morning all,

so i had the rig on its own weight yesterday to figure out coil spring weight and can have my belly quite low like 18 inches, not much more compression though. the question is that too low, i like clayton and smorr and parks like that. i personally think i will shoot for 20 or 21. but what is your thoughts.

IMG_2741.JPG

My buggy has a 18" belly height. 7" uptravel.
On 43s SX

I like it but it drags a bunch.

What is your belly like? Flat and smooth transition between front and back links? If so you can get away with less belly height.

What is your belly like? Flat and smooth transition between front and back links? If so you can get away with less belly height.

not smooth at all. still have a skid plate . i will get a pic tonight of what it looks like, but no axles under now. so that kinda sucks let me look i may have a older photo

obstacles at smorr, flatnasty, clayton etc etc all differ a bit but it can really depend on your wheelbase and how you like to wheel. You can have all the tire in the world with a flat belly and low ride height but making it up places like copper head or pappa bear can be difficult if your dragging your belly the whole time. Just food for thought.

18" is pretty low. I had a Sami tube thing with around that belly, but it was 37s and only 104". It worked very well imo because it was short, but also low. Some of my buddies rigs were almost as low, but 115"+ and seemed to drag a lot more.

Also, most shock tuners don't recommend running more than ~9" down travel on a coilover. So that may factor into your ride height also.

this is 4 - 5 compression and 9 droop. approx. also dually front hubs put me at 90 outside of tires. holly buckets wide. i am sitting at 18-19 with 116 wheelbase these pics were taken yesterday, shake down run is rugged mountian in OK end of april. holly cow get busy chappy haaha

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

dually are in staying for first run in 3 weeks, i have a set of hubs off a ditch witch dana 70 that i need to get cleaned up and rotors and lug nuts installed. not a complicated thing at all just time.

90" with Dually hubs installed is pretty narrow I'd say.
I'm 93/94" outside of tires without Dually spacers.

as I look at that, you build a custom high front frame rail, only to place your upper axle link mount right under it, effectively decreasing the gain..I would eve consider lowering your frame mount and moving the upper axle end in...

as I look at that, you build a custom high front frame rail, only to place your upper axle link mount right under it, effectively decreasing the gain..I would eve consider lowering your frame mount and moving the upper axle end in...

yeah.. my first attempt at a 4 link. very first. learned alot. times like this i wish i would have done a thread at the bare frame stage because simple comments spark ideas. damit jim. hahah

Love it. 0 complaints and no plans to make it narrower.

so basically same set up, ever have any drama. PIC. i think the added width would be awesome on side hills or just hills in general. my thought process was a H1 rim has 7 inches of back spacing my rims have 5 so its two more inches wider big deal.

That's 4 more inches in total, but yeah.

I'd be more concerned by the timeline you have. anything is possible but making it by end of April seems unlikely.

To give you an idea, I’m on 40” tires, 115” wheel bast and 20” belly. I like it. I wouldn’t want much taller. or shorter unless I had less wheelbase

I have 113" wheelbase and 18" belly and although its never really a problem it feels to low. In my case i think a shorter wheelbase is the correct solution

I ran a 20in flat belly on 40's with a 104 inch wheel base and it worked well on my old buggy.

Glad you ended up liking the belly height, so you ended up at 116 wheelbase, 20in belly and 90in wide?

Top Back Refresh