What's new

How loud is it going to be?

I have learned quite a few things over the years, that for some reason.. most people don't know about, but can easily understand..

people often hear of the "golden ratio" when it comes to math, art, and science, etc.. but it also applies to sound.. if you are just making a simple box, try to use the golden ratio proportions and it will sound very good..

however if you do something stupid and make a cubed box, its gonna sound terrible.. as in like a 10 inch woofer in your console.. with box dimensions 12"x12"x12"..

I can't explain it but if you have something like a hatchback with a rear window.. your bass will sound much better if you aim the speakers directly at that window..

I think with the current SPL trends, and considering what hertz people are playing.. more and more people are gonna start having problems, with parts of the vehicles vibrating, screwin shit up.. but I don't keep up as much as I used to..

I remember being 16 and thinking everyone else within 500 feet wanted to hear my bass too

The way I combat that is my K5LA Nathan Air Chimes , it will knock your dick in the dirt , get some of that. :lmao:

I was really into car audio through most of the 90's, got meh with it for whatever reason. I can't comprehend 2 12's pushing 148dB. :eek: "that's like 8 Orion Extreme 15's and 4 MTX2300's" :laughing:

About 1998 I built a cage for an Astro van. It was to keep the body from exploding in SPL comp's. The cage was plated in with sheetmetal and the voids were filled with a laytex concrete mix. FUcking thing was over 10K when all the gear was in it. Good thing they never drove it anywhere.

The way I combat that is my K5LA Nathan Air Chimes , it will knock your dick in the dirt , get some of that. :lmao:

Went to grab my beater from the shop this weekend and they had some kind of sound comp going on. They were probably mad when I blew my train horn when I pulled up in my truck. :laughing:

Went to grab my beater from the shop this weekend and they had some kind of sound comp going on. They were probably mad when I blew my train horn when I pulled up in my truck. :laughing:

They are fun for sure , I think the best one for me was when some dipshit went around me to go around the gates and I hit them , I honestly think the guy shit his pants. :lmao:

So the point of this is to go deaf,one minute at a time?

Bass doesn't hurt your hearing. Crazy loud highs will.

Weird how our hearing works.

I have learned quite a few things over the years, that for some reason.. most people don't know about, but can easily understand..

people often hear of the "golden ratio" when it comes to math, art, and science, etc.. but it also applies to sound.. if you are just making a simple box, try to use the golden ratio proportions and it will sound very good..

however if you do something stupid and make a cubed box, its gonna sound terrible.. as in like a 10 inch woofer in your console.. with box dimensions 12"x12"x12"..

I can't explain it but if you have something like a hatchback with a rear window.. your bass will sound much better if you aim the speakers directly at that window..

I think with the current SPL trends, and considering what hertz people are playing.. more and more people are gonna start having problems, with parts of the vehicles vibrating, screwin shit up.. but I don't keep up as much as I used to..

You sound like you read a book once.

What you can't explain about the hatchback is that you're creating a horn by loading the subs off the hatch.

Same.

Thats bad ass, do a build thread for the next one! :smokin:

I've been looking at in-the-ground-sub enclosures for the backyard. Every build any of those?

No experience with them. I've read reviews that are all over the map.

can you please explain what is happening. is the sub moving that much air that it basically expanding and contracting like a whoopy cushion?

Like a bellows. The more cone area and excursion you have, the more air you move.

Low frequencies are what's doing the damage. Stuff below 30Hz.

Here's a slo-mo of a single DD Audio 3510 ESP in an Audi A4 on 1,000 watts. The owner of this Honda is running two 12s on 2,000.

Since subs operate in a narrow range, noise cancellation wouldn't be that difficult to process, as long as you had the power to counter theirs...right? I always wanted a 'Mute' button.

I was really into car audio through most of the 90's, got meh with it for whatever reason. I can't comprehend 2 12's pushing 148dB. :eek: "that's like 8 Orion Extreme 15's and 4 MTX2300's" :laughing:

I built a Camaro for sound quality that did 141 with two 8W7s on 731 watts.

So how does one "tune a box for lows"?

How does one get this information on box design for a given note or pitch?

Is this tattooed on an oracles skin and upon his death, it was filleted from his bones and bound in a book?

I use Term-Pro for enclosure design. The program helps with enclosure volume, but most times I end up doing designs by hand as well due to the shape the enclosure has to be.

Here's a screenshot of an enclosure I designed and built during an all-nighter last Saturday when a guy showed up for tuning so he could compete last Sunday.

The blue/cyan line is SPL output in an anechoic environment. Cabin gain will boost frequencies below about 40 Hz. (See 2nd p

ic)

Anechoic SPL output scale is on the right.

The yellow you see is power handling.

Purple/magenta is cone excursion.

Green is relative response

You can see on the left that this enclosure is 2.25ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz.

Screenshot (428).png

This is cabin gain of various vehicles. You can see how the low frequencies are "boosted" by standing waves in the cabin.

This is called the Schroeder frequency. It's the point where sound waves below that freq are standing waves that build up vs frequencies above it that reflect.
cabin gain.jpg

In the Astrovan the woofers fired a slightly different times to create a wave in the cab. Wave was focused at where the mic was.

This reminds me of before having a kid. I pulled the rear bench out of my cc superduty for a 5³ ported box tuned to 30hz foe my og re xxx 15. Hooked it up to a hifonix collosses amp...supposedly 3k watts. Played a modified lil jon song and watched my dash flex in a wave over an inch or so. Eventually my windshield popped out up top enough to stick my hand through. Never cracked tho. Haha

just want to toss something out there.. remember the movie "Core".., where towards the end they realized one big explosion would not be enough to fix the problem.. they had to set off a series of explosions spread out.. to get the magna moving correct or something.. you would of had to seen the movie to understand.. and it was not a popular movie.. hahaha..

well, what if sound worked the same way? instead of playing 12 woofers all at once, what if they hit at different times.. sorta pushing the SPL to where it would get larger and larger..

I understand in principle how people have been using computer-like devices, to do something similar.. with playing their mids and highs at seperate times than the bass, etc.. but does that movie magic work in the same way with sound?

back in the day, people had all the woofers firing at the same time.. was that so wrong?

Top Back Refresh